Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Classic new behavior  (Read 9204 times)

pearlstreet

Lightroom Classic new behavior
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:42:16 pm »

For some reason, when I click on a picture in lightroom, instead of zooming in, it goes to a full two-monitor black screen with the picture not zoomed. I have to click on my second monitor to get it to go back. Not sure why it is doing it or how to get it to stop. I must have clicked something without knowing it.

Help! Please.  ;D

pearlstreet

Re: Lightroom Classic new behavior
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:58:43 pm »

Never mind... a restart fixed it.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:06:06 pm »

There seem to be some "random" errors occurring. Just few minutes ago out of the blue when flipping through the pictures fullscreen every 3rd or 4th picture blacked out. After closing and restarting the programm ("app" if you want, cannot get used to the word outside mobile) everything went fine again ...

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »

Yes, I'm having refresh issues going through the filmstrip. It will flash photos briefly that I had looked at a couple of minutes before.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:14 pm »

Here it doesn't go black screen.  But every so often the screen will sort of shift/flicker downward and freeze for a few seconds (hard to describe).  It seems to intermittently get triggered by starting to move a slider.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:24:25 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 10:41:30 pm »

I'm also seeing instances where the filmstrip thumbnail remains insolently grey.  Multiple directory changes and image selections sometimes solves it. Sometimes not and I restart LR.

Windows 10 system.

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:41:44 am »

All sounds like Lightroom still has issues with graphic cards.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 03:36:19 am »

It will be interesting to learn in the fullness of time whether these kinds of issues result from the programming running ahead of the hardware many people have for using it, or whether it is another instance of testing that hasn't been comprehensive enough to net-out most of these issues before the software is issued. Adobe depends on a wide user base of beta testers to catch most of this kind of stuff, but perhaps still not as comprehensive as one would optimally like it to be. It takes a lot of time for volunteers to do this effectively.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:52:28 am »

Mark, it seems more likely their programming is running far behind in detecting and configuring Lr to properly use the hardware in the computers.
Regards,
Ron

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 03:44:01 pm »

Mark, it seems more likely their programming is running far behind in detecting and configuring Lr to properly use the hardware in the computers.

I don't think so. Adobe employs awfully bright people who know the hardware very well and what it allows them to do. I suspect it's more likely that the application is taking advantage of certain newer processing capabiities that many people just haven't migrated to, and that incoherence is causing some people to have performance issues. But I can't be sure about that.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 04:36:48 pm »

Overall performance for me is considerably slower on a windows 10 machine, 3.4Ghz or 4.0Ghz, 32GB of ram, catalog on separate SSD besides C, Asus boards.  4GB Nvidia graphics cards GTX970

With open CL enable on or off, very sluggish, for pano creation, or HDR, HDR seems worse, up to 3 minutes to go from the start to total finish with 3 D850 images. 

As far as the programmers and writing to newer products that are not being taken advantage of, I am curious what those are as LR has IMO never worked with the speed that Adobe CC has with the graphics card enabled. And I really can't think of too much besides a newer PC and graphics card as windows 10 constantly updates itself. 

Overall the speeds are considerably slower for me on Classic and I may drop back to CC LR for now.

Edit:  I finally gave up on this and rebooted.  I also changed the deghosting from medium to none and things speed up quite a bit.  I still sometimes get a totally black screen when LR is putting together the HDR, for about 4 to 5 seconds, then it finishes and all is normal.
Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:14:02 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:18 pm »

I don't think so. Adobe employs awfully bright people who know the hardware very well and what it allows them to do. I suspect it's more likely that the application is taking advantage of certain newer processing capabiities that many people just haven't migrated to, and that incoherence is causing some people to have performance issues. But I can't be sure about that.

Mark, I respectfully disagree until I find something to convince me otherwise.  If they detected the hardware on the computer their software should be able to adapt to what it finds.  Assuming that specific hardware exists without testing for it is bad practice. 
Regards,
Ron

pearlstreet

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:48:45 pm »

I am finding the new lightroom classic to be super buggy. I'm getting errors, it no longer easily transfers a file to edit in photoshop constant flashes and random photos. I'm going to contact Adobe tomorrow.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 02:38:24 am »

Mark, I respectfully disagree until I find something to convince me otherwise.  If they detected the hardware on the computer their software should be able to adapt to what it finds.  Assuming that specific hardware exists without testing for it is bad practice.

Ron, it can be the case that in designing software changes to take advantage of updated computer systems and capabilities, the algorithms perform less well on older systems. There are compromises because it's too difficult to write and maintain programs to perform optimally whatever the computer configuration from X years back. I suspect we may be seeing a bit of that here. At least I wouldn't dismiss this possibility out of hand.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 02:39:59 am »

I am finding the new lightroom classic to be super buggy. I'm getting errors, it no longer easily transfers a file to edit in photoshop constant flashes and random photos. I'm going to contact Adobe tomorrow.

Could you refresh on what vintage computer and OS you are using? This is not good news on the face of it. Do keep us informed of what you learn.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:30 am »

Ron, it can be the case that in designing software changes to take advantage of updated computer systems and capabilities, the algorithms perform less well on older systems. There are compromises because it's too difficult to write and maintain programs to perform optimally whatever the computer configuration from X years back. I suspect we may be seeing a bit of that here. At least I wouldn't dismiss this possibility out of hand.

Mark, I guess it depends on the word “optimal”.  I can’t speak to Windows machine but it’s fairly straightforward for a programmer to query the graphics hardware on a Mac. If Lr requires certain attributes such as amount of VRAM or graphic card models they shouldn’t enable the graphics card for performance in Lr.  That might save a lot of grief for users.
Regards,
Ron

pearlstreet

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:04:17 am »

Could you refresh on what vintage computer and OS you are using? This is not good news on the face of it. Do keep us informed of what you learn.

Mark, I have a custom built computer. Intel i7 six core processor. 32 gb of ram. Windows 10.

Rand47

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:03 am »

Data point:  i7, 64 gigs, first rate graphics card, Windows 10 (Machine built by Puget Systems)

LR Classic CC is running more quickly, BUT I am also having an occasional weirdness pop up randomly.  E.g. on one launch of LR the menu bar at the top was all messed up and "stacked up" on itself.  A close and re-launch straightened it out.  There have been other instances where a close and re-launch has sorted other odd things out.  Prior to "Classic" LR ran with perfect stability on this machine.  Performance was good - though I must say that "Classic" does run a bit more quickly (e.g. zooming in on images, and switching from Library to Develop module with a single image in the window.)

So, IMO, there are a few bugs to sort out.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
It's buggy
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 12:55:08 pm »

I've got a few Smart Collections that went bad. Zero number next to the name (odd), clicking produces a 'loading....' that never loads.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

adias

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »

Mark, I have a custom built computer. Intel i7 six core processor. 32 gb of ram. Windows 10.

That may be the issue. Custom-built computers are one-of-a-kind and however standard intel/Windows systems are there are differences from component to component. Adobe tests with well known computer lines, but cannot guarantee that there is not an issue on some custom combination of hardware/firmware systems. Custom computers are bleeding edge - been there, done that. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up