Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone orange skin tones  (Read 10017 times)

Jeff Kott

iPhone orange skin tones
« on: November 11, 2017, 01:09:18 pm »

All of my iPhones up to my 7 plus had nice skin tones. my iPhone 7 plus and my new iPhone X almost always puts an orange cast on skin tones.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And does anyone have an easy fix. I've tried desaturating and changing color temperature in Photoshop Express, but it's really hard to get it just right.

Jeff Kott

Re: iPhone orange skin tones
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:41:58 pm »

Well, either no quick answers or nobody else sees the problem.

I've spend some time this afternoon processing photos using Photoshop Express, Lightroom Mobile and the Edit feature in the Photos app on the iPhone.

I've found that the quickest and easiest way to correct for the over saturation and yellow shift on my iPhone X photos which result in orange looking skin tones is to edit within the iPhone Photo app, click Edit, go into the Color drop down menu, reduce Saturation a bit and then go to the adjustment called "Cast" and shift it a little to the blue side. I'll leave this thread up in case it helps anyone. Also, if anyone is interested, I can post before and after photos.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:38:20 am »

Maybe it's Apple seeking Donald Trump's approval

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:06:33 am »

Well, either no quick answers or nobody else sees the problem!...

It is really, really, hard to SEE the problem when there is nothing to SEE in your post.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:48:38 pm »

Have you tried shooting in raw and using a decent, computer-based raw converter?

Jeremy

Jeff Kott

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:27 pm »

Yes, I often shoot raw in Procam and adjust in ACR, but sometimes I just want to simplify things.

My frustration is that my iPhone 4 and 5s photos had great skin tones and my 7Plus and X photos all have a weird color cast. I've reworked a lot of photos in camera with the simple process I outlined above and it seems to work well enough. I think that's the best solution for me. It would be nice if Apple put a "Natural" style in its photo processing app that pulled the skin tones back to a more natural tone.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »

This is like doing a brain surgery via a CB radio.

Show us some examples if you want a chance for a reasonable discussion.

Jeff Kott

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 05:36:04 pm »

Here's a typical example. Shot with iPhone 7+ in outdoor light. No processing except crop and resize for web.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:28:15 pm »

Was the iPhone flash used? Seems like a mildly overcast day? I have to add that I do not find those skin colors objectionable. A bit on the warm side, but not "orange."

Jeff Kott

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:43 pm »

No flash.

I don't know about what others may or may not find objectionable, I just know that the skin tones are not natural looking. I think we all know that most people find photos that are slightly more saturated and contrasty than reality to be more pleasing than photos that have accurate colors. I'm ok with that, but I like skin to look natural, not shifted orange or yellow.

When I use one of my Nikon, Pentax or Sony cameras, I always shoot raw and almost always do some processing. If one shoots jpeg SOOC with Nikon, Pentax and Sony and uses default settings, the jpeg files look a little too "cooked" for my taste. But all of those camera makers have a "neutral" or "natural" setting where at least the skin tones look pretty accurate and pleasing.

Clearly, the latest versions of the iPhone have more saturation and more of a yellow/orange cast than reality. It would be nice it there was a natural or neutral preset in the iPhone to bring the skin tones back down, but all of the presets are either more saturated, have more of a color shift or then go to B&W.

Here are a couple more examples of unprocessed iPhone photos where I find the skin tones to be objectionable.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 11:14:35 am »

yes, this clearly drop-in skin tone. would be interesting to see what mapping they use for asian, i bet it would be too pale for our taste.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:07 pm »

Got an iPhone X on the day it shipped, see no such issues that you describe (yet).
In terms of skin tones:

Here's a video on correcting skin tones without having to resort to CMYK, use this a a guide to edit numerically and DO get that display calibration dialed in:

Low Rez (YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWaFDKrNrwc

High Rez
http://digitaldog.net/files/SkinToneVideo.mov
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up