Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote High Speed Sync article  (Read 1632 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Remote High Speed Sync article
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:29:37 am »

Great story and photos Terry ... thanks for sharing

Rado

Re: Remote High Speed Sync article
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:00:47 pm »

Yes it's a good article and photos. I'm curious about the "€2k worth of gear attached to her boat" part. Two Canon speedlights don't cost that much. I also wonder how the Godox AD200 would fare in that situation - it's not much bigger than the Canon 600EX and has a bigger power output/battery capacity. I don't know how robust the radio system is at a distance but I never had any troubles either with the Canon or the Godox trigger/light combo.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:25:08 pm »

Those photos are amazing.

I have been a racing sailor, and I  have sailed lasers (even racing the latter, but very very very astonishingly badly), and these are easily the most impressive sailing photos I have ever seen. Laser sailing is Just Like That.

It's hard to get this sort of thing because, ultimately, sailing is boring as hell from the outside. A laser going 15 miles an hour is a laser on the verge of explosion. Seriously, I can outrun all but the fastest sailing boats without even really trying. It's basically a slow and stodgy process, that nonetheless requires incredible athleticism and the reflexes of a cat to do well. It *feels* like these photograpghs *look*.

Great process. See what's out there, conceptualize something new, something that captures something of the essence, and then go execute it.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:21:13 pm »

Those photos are amazing.

I have been a racing sailor, and I  have sailed lasers (even racing the latter, but very very very astonishingly badly), and these are easily the most impressive sailing photos I have ever seen. Laser sailing is Just Like That.

It's hard to get this sort of thing because, ultimately, sailing is boring as hell from the outside. A laser going 15 miles an hour is a laser on the verge of explosion. Seriously, I can outrun all but the fastest sailing boats without even really trying. It's basically a slow and stodgy process, that nonetheless requires incredible athleticism and the reflexes of a cat to do well. It *feels* like these photograpghs *look*.

Great process. See what's out there, conceptualize something new, something that captures something of the essence, and then go execute it.

As a former sailor and racer (Force 5’s), I really appreciate the complexity and difficulty in attempting this.   I appreciate “seeing the flash units” in the photos in his article, but hope they were carefully cloned out in the images used for the purpose(es) intended.  Carefully done, it would add some real mystery to the images.   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

terrymcdonagh

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:16:31 am »

Yes it's a good article and photos. I'm curious about the "€2k worth of gear attached to her boat" part. Two Canon speedlights don't cost that much. I also wonder how the Godox AD200 would fare in that situation - it's not much bigger than the Canon 600EX and has a bigger power output/battery capacity. I don't know how robust the radio system is at a distance but I never had any troubles either with the Canon or the Godox trigger/light combo.

Thanks for your comments, it was a bit less than 2k for sure, but here in Ireland the flashes cost about 700 each plus the batteries were 50 and then the receiver for the units was around 200. clamps etc another 100, and then I spent about €300 on sandwich bags,(do you want some I have tons of them) so basically I can't add, it was a slight exaggeration for sure, but helped me justify my fee.;-)
I have the godox but you can't tilt the head on it, and the fresnel is fixed at 35mm, whereas I had these set to their widest zoom level, also it's harder to mount and bag up because it's bigger and then the reliability of the godox is'nt exactly worth risking a gig like this. I literally had one shot at it as the sailor was going away.Also I only had the one godox and two canon's so I hope that explains it.
So of course it could have fared ok and the extra power would have been good if it was sunny but I deliberately chose an overcast day, much to the sailors surprise as she kept scheduling sunny days.
Thanks for the compliments, great site here.

terrymcdonagh

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 06:38:05 am »

thanks for the compliments from the sailors especially as I have sailed a little but to hear this from real sailors makes me very grateful
Pages: [1]   Go Up