Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom 24" wide page not printing in centre (epson P9000)  (Read 2760 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Custom 24" wide page not printing in centre (epson P9000)
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:34:31 am »

I made a custom page size of 610mmx779mm with the page layout set to vertical and "double cut" set in the epson roll paper setting. What comes out is an image with the bottom margin slightly larger then the top. When I print a vertical image this is more visible because the image does not appear to be in the centre given that the bottom of the page becomes the right margin when the image is stood upright. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on ? The roll i'm using is 24" wide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Custom 24" wide page not printing in centre (epson P9000)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:53 pm »

Are you using one of the two borderless roll paper options?

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:43 pm »

I just set a custom paper size, where are the options you are thinking of ?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:48:53 pm »

The paper setup menu offers several choices of roll and sheet options. Typically when using the double cut to get prints exact to size, one of the two borderless options are selected.  Even though you may not be printing borderless, you might find you get more accurate results.

What program are you printing from?

You could also add the border to the image itself using canvas size and then print "borderless" (if printing from PS).  this may give you more accurate borders.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:20:43 pm »

I'm printing from lightroom. Below are my settings.

On a side note, i always have to set the paper type on the printer despite picking it in the driver. Why does the driver not switch it on the printer for me ? Seems a bit silly.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:51:49 pm »

Those certainly look OK to me.  How much difference is there in the top and bottom border?  Does the length of the paper end up correct according to your settings?

I have a similar problem to this with a product I make.  I fixed it by adding a small border on the top only in the lightroom setup which forces the image down on the paper. So even though it looks slightly off center on the screen it is centered on the paper.  Took me a couple of tries to get the amount right, but it seems to stay consistent and has solved the problem.  This was on sheet paper in a p5000.

Regarding the paper type, when you send a job to the printer, the paper type specified in the job will be used by the printer and driver.  However, this isn't related to the setting that shows up on the printer itself, and the driver doesn't actually change this setting.  Most of us totally ignore the paper type that shows up on the printer.  I never change it.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:13 pm »

The difference between the top cut and bottom cut is 10.5 vs 12.5 picas as measured on a ruler. (see attached image).

As far as the driver goes, my printed will give me some sort of media setting mismatch if the same paper setting is not picked in the driver and on the physical printer.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:53 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something here but if your paper size is 24x30.6 on 24" roll paper,  then it seems the picture is showing the sides, not the top and bottom?

This can sometimes be an issue with epson printers.  You might find that if you add a border that is about half of the problem on the narrow side in LR, it may provide a solution. Just curious if you have disabled paper size check in the printer?

As far as the media setting mismatch, very strange.  I've worked with dozens of epson printers over the years, helped many install and operate there printers.  The only time I see a mismatch between the driver and the printer is if one is set for roll paper and one is set for sheet paper.  The driver will error out. But as far as the type of paper that's in the printer, mine is set to premium glossy, but i don't even print on premium glossy anymore.  I print on Baryta, Platine, premium semi-matte, premium semi-gloss and enhanced matt (using PK ink). all with the printer set on premium glossy.

I'm at a loss as to why this would be problematic in your case.  sorry.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:55:03 am »

Maybe I'm missing something here but if your paper size is 24x30.6 on 24" roll paper,  then it seems the picture is showing the sides, not the top and bottom?

Actually you are right, it is the side. Got confused a bit with how the paper actually comes out, heh. Most of the images I print are horizontal so it's the bottom of the image that is slightly bigger which actually helps give room for the signature. On verticals such as the one in the previous post the issue is actually counter productive.

I don't remember disabling paper size check on the printer, do you think this could be an issue ? I was told by an epson rep that adding 3mm margins on the printer could fix margin issues like this but I'm not sure if the guy (clearly in sales) knows what he is talking about or not.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:56:27 am »

You would probably remember if you disabled it. Not much reason to do so, usually only if your trying to use paper that is narrower than the minimum supported paper width.  so you probably didn't

Adding the standard border width to your custom page setup may help, but wouldn't count on it.

I have had pretty good success modifying the border dimensions so it tweaks the printable image area over.  It seems that whatever the error is, it's pretty consistent. 

I normally do this the other way by putting my desired border size into the LR settings, forcing the cell size to fit in it.  I've never measured the borders but visually they look pretty good to me doing it this way.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:18:32 am »

I’ve always wondered what really happens when you define a custom paper size with no border. Epson’s sizes have 0.5” on three sides and 0.56” on the bottom. Since you have more than 0.56” on all three sides, why don’t you try entering a custom paper size that has, say 0.75” or 1” border all around and see if that solves the problem?

As for the paper type setting on the printer, I have a 7900, and it always asks but if I just hit print it sends the info correctly and the printer doesn’t hang (as Wayne described). Are you saying the printer won’t print unless you select it on the printer’s screen?

Dave

Garnick

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:13 am »

Through two 7600s and a 9900 I don't recall ever having this problem.  If I set centre in the final print dialog it printed in the centre.  Perhaps a very slight difference, but nothing really noticeable.  However, the P7000 has never printed dead centre, on roll or sheet.  I always have "Paper Size Check" on, unless there's a specific reason to turn it off, in which case I write a sticky note as a reminder to turn it back on.  Also, the differential is the same as what I'm seeing in your sample, right edge border is larger.  If it is critical I usually adjust the left edge border in the final print dialog.  First, "Centre", since the top and bottom borders are usually good.  Then turn "Centre" off and adjust only the left edge border/margin to compensate.  It is a nuisance, but it does work.  If I'm printing borderless with Retain Size I have to make the same adjustment in the final print dialog.  I'll be installing the most recent firmware update soon and hoping Epson has fixed this.  I probably should have added this to my notes for my almost hour long discussion with Epson yesterday, but I had another issue to take care of.  If this isn't fixed I'll prepare for another little chat with an Epson Service Tech. 

Wayne - Your "fix" in LR looks like it might be a good workaround.  Due to the variety of images I print for my customers, I find PS is faster, so obviously your fix wouldn't work there, since you are adding it to the cell.  The one I mentioned previously does seem to be quite consistent for my purposes.  Upon checking the OPs LR prints settings, I do have one question.  Why would he be using the "Borderless, Retain Size" setting when he is actually not printing borderless.  I guess I'm missing something here, but with all of the Epson printers I've used I have never used the any of "Borderless" options unless I am printing a truly borderless image and require bleed.  I'm not saying that not using the borderless option would solve his issue, because I know it won't.  Just wondering why the borderless option is used when not necessary.  This issue seems to built in to the P series printers, so I suppose it might not matter what option one uses for roll papers, the issue remains.

Gary   

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:17 pm »

I guess I'm missing something here, but with all of the Epson printers I've used I have never used the any of "Borderless" options unless I am printing a truly borderless image and require bleed.  I'm not saying that not using the borderless option would solve his issue, because I know it won't.  Just wondering why the borderless option is used when not necessary.  This issue seems to built in to the P series printers, so I suppose it might not matter what option one uses for roll papers, the issue remains.
I had the same thought.  I'm not sure how the driver handles the borderless option when the print actually isn't being printed borderless. I'm assuming since it's set to retain size it would end up the same as if it were set to roll paper.

This is a known issue with all of Epson's large format printers, has been since the 78/9800 series.  Most of the time it's minor enough it isn't noticeable. This case looks like it's a little more pronounced than most. on my printer it's a little less than 1/16th of an inch. 

You would think a printer that can put billions of 3 picoliter dots of ink into the precise locations necessary to render such beautiful images could handle the overall positioning a little more accurately. It knows exactly where the edge of the paper is, and is capable of horizontal accuracy to within 1/1440 of an inch.

I've always wondered if there's an internal offset that is designed to calibrate the location of the paper sensor that isn't user accessible and in manufacturing they just don't set the tolerance quite tight enough. I know the edge is sensor based because years ago I tried to fix it by loading the paper in slightly different locations ... doesn't affect the border.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:31:11 pm by Wayne Fox »
Pages: [1]   Go Up