Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shel Silverstein  (Read 3021 times)

Rob C

Shel Silverstein
« on: November 07, 2017, 04:44:38 pm »

Anybody out there remember the drawings, the songs and the poems?

Rob C

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Shel Silverstein
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »

I think everyone who was a young child in the 70's knew the Giving Tree. It was a regular title at early elementary story time.
I really liked Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic when I was a few years older, maybe in the 10-12 range.
-MattB

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 05:16:19 pm »

I think everyone who was a young child in the 70's knew the Giving Tree. It was a regular title at early elementary story time.
I really liked Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic when I was a few years older, maybe in the 10-12 range.

I was anything but a kid in the 70s.... I remember him best from his regular work for Playboy great drawings and poems and songs: The Ballad of Lucy Jordan comes to mind. He had a helluva grasp on bitter-sweet, imagination yet reality; not many of him to the dollar.

Rob

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:34 pm »

All too well.  At my school we have a poetry night.  Some years we have banned Shel Silverstein because every kid wanted one of his poems.  Even today, his poems are just as popular as they were when I was a kid.   

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:21 pm »

Late-ish in my coding career, when I was customizing/bugfixing retail inventory database software, a book buyer asked me if I could automate tracking sales of particular items by location & time of day and then emailing her the info in Excel-ready form. “Sure.” Among the first books tracked were Shel Silverstein’s kids titles. I was surprised not only by how popular they were—this was ~20 years ago—but also by how consistently popular. They neither ticked up that much in sales during the holidays nor dipped down during lull periods. They just always sold well.

In music one of the few comparable items was Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue. Day after week after month, like clockwork.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:44 am »

Late-ish in my coding career, when I was customizing/bugfixing retail inventory database software, a book buyer asked me if I could automate tracking sales of particular items by location & time of day and then emailing her the info in Excel-ready form. “Sure.” Among the first books tracked were Shel Silverstein’s kids titles. I was surprised not only by how popular they were—this was ~20 years ago—but also by how consistently popular. They neither ticked up that much in sales during the holidays nor dipped down during lull periods. They just always sold well.

In music one of the few comparable items was Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue. Day after week after month, like clockwork.

-Dave-

The glory of royalties - if you get 'em!

Rob

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 09:31:13 am »

I remember "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out" and of course "I Got Stoned And I Missed It"!!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:45 am »

Funny how I only knew the children's books and poems and never even heard about the counterculture side.
I had heard that I Got Stoned and I Missed It song but never made the connection! We should have listened to it one story time.

I blame Nancy Reagan!  8)
-MattB

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05:10 pm »

Thanks for the reminder, hadn't thought about Shel as a folk singer in a couple of decades. Just put an album on Spotify. Great stuff.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:34:05 pm »

Well, not being brought up in the USA, I wouldn't have been exposed to Shel's children's oeuvre, so it just shows to go ya that Playboy really did have readers. That's where I met the gent - only second-hand, sorry to say - but better that way than not at all.

I get this constant feeling that people with extraordinary artistic qualities quite often don't have the best private life; perhaps it's nature's way of not only compensating, but providing a lifelong distraction from other things outwith the person's ability to change.

Yes, Vincent Van Gogh provides an extreme example, but I did a short photo/scribble piece for myself a couple of months ago on the topic of suicides, and from researching it, it was very clear to me that artists can be very easily driven there. It's easy to have it, art, become a very dangerous obsession.

But there might be a distinct possibility that unhappiness through failure to integrate well with the wider society is almost guaranteed some artists; where there exists the imperative to earn one's keep, the separation between the person's art and the commercial versions that may or may not subsidise the former can lead to dreadful pressure.

I had my own moment of decision almost at the start of my career: I found myself on the steps of a church about to shoot the arrival of a bride. At that moment I realised that it was better to stop doing stuff I detested and go for what I craved, and that if I couldn't make it there, it was better quitting the entire photographic enterprise and doing anything, as far from photography as I could go. Fortunately, that was one of my better moments, and it paid off - after a pretty lean time.

Rob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »

Well, not being brought up in the USA, I wouldn't have been exposed to Shel's children's oeuvre, so it just shows to go ya that Playboy really did have readers. That's where I met the gent - only second-hand, sorry to say - but better that way than not at all.
Rob, you like I remember Shel Silverstein best from Playboy - I loved his stuff. Imagine my surprise once living on the west side of the Atlantic to find the very same man was far better known by many in N. America as the children's book author of choice. Wonderful how the perceptions about the same author could be apparently so different. But then - maybe it's no surprise at all but a reflection of his wonderful abilities.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 05:08:34 pm »

I have the book titled "A Light in the Attic" with collected poems.
Loved the book but eventually decided that it suffers a bit from a similar singular sentiment if you will as for example Chopin. If you listen to Chopin for an extended period, the depression starts to rub off on ya. Similarly, if you read too many poems in that book, the dark and creepy undertone seems to take over from the lightheartedness.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:04:49 pm »

Another twisted children's author was Roald Dahl.  You may know him for writing Wili Wonka and the Cholcolate Factory, but he also wrote for an adult audience.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/roald-dahls-twisted-overlooked-stories-for-adults

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 09:04:33 pm »

I didn’t read Shel Silverstein as a kid but I loved Roald Dahl’s books. The darker themes signaled grownup stuff here!, which drew me in along with the fantastical elements in his work. Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle In Time is quite a dark book too. I completely adored it and also enjoyed its sequels. Among other things it introduced me to the concept of the tesseract and to Shakespeare.

My late friend Vicki’s family knew the Silverstein family (mainly Shel’s parents) socially. They lived in the same Chicago neighborhood.

Everyone I’ve ever known who I’d consider to be highly creative has also been a raw nerve of a person. At the same time this kind of openness to feeling and to experience can channel creativity it can also be debilitating.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:11 am »

I didn’t read Shel Silverstein as a kid but I loved Roald Dahl’s books. The darker themes signaled grownup stuff here!, which drew me in along with the fantastical elements in his work. Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle In Time is quite a dark book too. I completely adored it and also enjoyed its sequels. Among other things it introduced me to the concept of the tesseract and to Shakespeare.

My late friend Vicki’s family knew the Silverstein family (mainly Shel’s parents) socially. They lived in the same Chicago neighborhood.

Everyone I’ve ever known who I’d consider to be highly creative has also been a raw nerve of a person. At the same time this kind of openness to feeling and to experience can channel creativity it can also be debilitating.

-Dave-

Yes; that's my impression, as I said. My suspicion is that the delicate (trusting?) mind can't quite understand the perceived "unfairness" in life, where some suspected of little ability become famous and wealthy from what they present as their art, whereas others as gifted, if not more so, never make a penny.

The flaw in such thinking is a simple one: fairness, as a concept, is fine, but it has no place in a reality where individual progress comes from being that small - or gigantic - step ahead in street smarts or pure muscle power. I hate politicians who latch on to that word and bandy it about as a flag of their personal/party honour: it means zero because it doesn't depend on the realities of this world, and offers the same cake next year promise as does the lottery: yep, once in a while somebody gets lucky. But as a nation, or even as a layer within society?

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 03:52:23 pm »

What I remember about Silverstein is what he called the great American greeting: "How are things?"
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 04:53:59 am »

What I remember about Silverstein is what he called the great American greeting: "How are things?"

It's a good question!

;-)

Rob

Rand47

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »

When my daughter was just a little girl, we read one of his books, over and over and over again . . .  it was a sweet spot in my life.
When we got to "The Loser" she always broke into a major "giggle fit."

The Loser

Mama said I'd lose my head
If it wasn't fastened on.
Today I guess it wasn't
Cause while playing with my cousin
It fell off and rolled away
And now it's gone.

And I can't look for it
Cause my eyes are in it,
And I can't call to it
Cause my mouth is on it