Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Tips for Manual Focus On 645DF+?  (Read 3825 times)

William Chitham

Any Tips for Manual Focus On 645DF+?
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:42:56 am »

Just took delivery of  a near mint 120mm f4 MF Macro which I intend to use for copy work on a 645DF+ with P65+ back. I "think" it is capable of producing good sharp images but it is an absolute pig to focus. I had hoped that the focus confirmation would make it easy but it is nowhere near. I tried altering the AF point as described in the manual but without success, is this no longer possible? At a distance of around 6 feet from the subject the focus is unbelievably sensitive but seems less so closer in. Live view ought to be a solution but it is hideous, it needs so much light and the refresh is painfully slow. If I'm finding it this hard just shooting tests in bright daylight I reckon I've got no chance when the polarizers go on... Can anyone suggest any techniques to help? Is it worth buying a different focus screen, if so which is best? I'm really pining for a nice waist level finder with a loupe like on my old RZ but I know that's not an option on these new fangled cameras.

William Chitham.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Re: Any Tips for Manual Focus On 645DF+?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »

You should have been on the last workshop.  WE showed everyone how to do this.  And why are you using a 120mm.  What is the issue and what are you shooting.  Tim

William Chitham

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:21:14 am »

Not sure what I can add to the original post really. I'm copying artworks that range from , say, 8"x10" to 4' square. I am using a Mamiya 120mm macro lens because it is an appropriate/convenient focal length for the job and is widely recommended as a sharp, distortion free lens. I bought the MF version because it is what I could afford. The issue is that I am finding it very difficult to focus accurately. Sorry I missed the workshop, where was it? I am in Manchester.

William.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:25:48 pm »

Not sure what I can add to the original post really. I'm copying artworks that range from , say, 8"x10" to 4' square. I am using a Mamiya 120mm macro lens because it is an appropriate/convenient focal length for the job and is widely recommended as a sharp, distortion free lens. I bought the MF version because it is what I could afford. The issue is that I am finding it very difficult to focus accurately. Sorry I missed the workshop, where was it? I am in Manchester.

William.

A thought from a passerby: Maybe you could describe your usual setup a bit more accurately - horizontal or vertical shooting, lighting while focusing, actual aperture while shooting, presence of glass, usual distances? And then someone who knows this situation might help you.

I do have one piece of advice from an idiot though: Get a camera, any camera, with a CMOS chip eg. Pentax or even 35mm 40MP Sony or Nikon, and you will have liveview and all your problems will go away. What you are losing in workflow time, and in bad focus issues and in light needed for low-iso work is simply not worth it.

Although for all I know an AF lens might quickly and simply improve your life. And yes, there is such a thing as a magnified angle viewer for macro work which is compatible with the Mamiya, but in the end there are always fixed focus offsets between mirror-path and sensor-path and focus-shift when you close down during exposure -liveview is just better.

Edmund

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:29:42 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

chapel

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »

I had a hard time manually focusing my Mamiya AFDII so I bought a focus screen for manual focusing and it solved the problem. And, it doesn't affect the auto-focus. Something like this might work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-AF-AFD-DF-Phase-One-MODIFIED-FOCUSING-SCREEN-RANGEFINDER-SPOT/231864684303?hash=item35fc364f0f:g:oc8AAOxy3zNShQyq

This isn't the one I used but looks pretty similar.

Greg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:11:19 pm by chapel »

William Chitham

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:16 pm »

Edmund: Thanks for the suggestions but sadly I can't afford the "throw money at it" solution; however, the Mamiya magnified eyepiece (FD402) is a good suggestion and led me to an interesting article by Joseph Holmes which suggested using a cheap mini monocular as a loupe with the standard viewfinder so one of those is on order. https://www.josephholmes.com/news/2009/4/9/getting-top-quality-from-medium-format

Greg: Thanks for the suggestion, if the loupe idea doesn't solve it I might spring for one of those screens.

William.

anwarp

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:26:17 am »

I use an old manual focus screen.  It works a treat!   The viewfinder is dimmer than the stock screen, and it throws the metering off due to clear centre spot. 

It has the central split prism with a micro prism collar and another matte collar around that. 

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:57 am »

Edmund: Thanks for the suggestions but sadly I can't afford the "throw money at it" solution; however, the Mamiya magnified eyepiece (FD402) is a good suggestion and led me to an interesting article by Joseph Holmes which suggested using a cheap mini monocular as a loupe with the standard viewfinder so one of those is on order. https://www.josephholmes.com/news/2009/4/9/getting-top-quality-from-medium-format

I installed Type C focusing screen and modified DF rubber eyepiece by attaching Tenpa 1.3x magnifier to it (a bit of rubber cutting and Sugru and it looks like it was made on a factory). Makes a lot of difference for day-to-day shooting and manual focusing (I also do macros with 120mm f/4 - Mamiya manual version)

Pics2

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 06:42:27 am »

I use a piece of a printed material (newspapers, printed barcodes, printed letters, numbers, a ruler) at the place of the object. I'm using the same lens and camera, it always helps me nail the focus.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 06:48:16 am »

Hi,

Joseph Holmes suggest the use of a Zeiss 3X monocular in this article: https://www.josephholmes.com/news/2009/4/9/getting-top-quality-from-medium-format

I use that monocular on my Hasselblad V-series, it works well.

Best regards
Erik

Just took delivery of  a near mint 120mm f4 MF Macro which I intend to use for copy work on a 645DF+ with P65+ back. I "think" it is capable of producing good sharp images but it is an absolute pig to focus. I had hoped that the focus confirmation would make it easy but it is nowhere near. I tried altering the AF point as described in the manual but without success, is this no longer possible? At a distance of around 6 feet from the subject the focus is unbelievably sensitive but seems less so closer in. Live view ought to be a solution but it is hideous, it needs so much light and the refresh is painfully slow. If I'm finding it this hard just shooting tests in bright daylight I reckon I've got no chance when the polarizers go on... Can anyone suggest any techniques to help? Is it worth buying a different focus screen, if so which is best? I'm really pining for a nice waist level finder with a loupe like on my old RZ but I know that's not an option on these new fangled cameras.

William Chitham.
Erik Kaffehr

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 01:24:00 pm »

I use it all the time and never ever will I auto focus ever!  Find what you want in focus in the foreground then look at the measurement and decide what you want in back either use hyper local distance or select focus or both together.  Its that easy.

We just taught this at the Phase One Podus class.  Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up