Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloud Storage  (Read 2952 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Cloud Storage
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:45:47 am »

Hi

Can someone please help me understand the 20GiB Cloud Storage option?

It appears that the complete RAW file is not uploaded...or is there an option that I am missing?

I have synced 507 Original files with Lightroom CC but have only used 2.92MB.

I cannot get a hi-res 100% view of the file on CC.

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Cloud Storage
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:58:56 am »

"Classic" uploads smart previews which are 2560 pixel images (longest size), while LRCC uploads originals.

LRCC normally downloads smart previews, but the "i" button allows you to download a raw file if it's available. See the botom of the panel where it says Sync Status - there's a switch for Store Original Locally.

Does that help?

John
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:52:18 am by john beardsworth »

William Walker

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:21:45 am »

"Classic" uploads smart previews which are 2560 pixel images (longest size), while LRCC uploads originals.

LRCC normally downloads smart previews, but the "i" button allows you to download a raw file if it's available. See the botom of the panel where it says Sync Status - there's a switch for Store Original Locally.

Does that help?

John

Hi John

Thanks! I will check it out.

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

William Walker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 09:21:37 am »

OK...I am uploading RAWS by selecting the desired files through the "+" at the top left in Lightroom CC.

In other words - I am not working through "Classic", I am selecting the files directly from the relevant folder on the drive via "Add Photos".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:59 am »

What do you actually want to do? Are you new to Lightroom in general? I ask this because using LRCC (the one with the leaf splash screen) means storing originals in the cloud. and 20gb isn't much. There is a Lightroom Plan which is LRCC only, plus 1Tb cloud space, but if you have signed up for the photography plan you only get 20gb and you'd probably be using LR Classic and Photoshop - largely ignoring LRCC.

John

William Walker

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:40:14 am »

Hi John

My aim is simple... I want to make use of the 20GiB of free storage as backup for as many of my "best" pictures as I can. For that they must be RAW.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:07 am »

OK, then in that case I assume you already use LR "Classic" as your main (synced) catalogue. It only uploads smart previews which are 2560 pixel images (longest size).

Identify these best images in Classic, sync them (eg via a Best Photos collection), then export them and choose the Original format in the Export dialog. Open LRCC and import these copies which will then be uploaded to Adobe's cloud. Select an image in LRCC and the Info panel (bottom right) will show that you have an original in the cloud.

Adobe's server then detects that the newly-uploaded original matches an image that is already synced, so Classic won't download it again. You're now left with your original catalogued in Classic, and a copy original in the cloud.

I hope I have all the details right, but it's not meant to be easy or slick. Adobe see you using either LR Classic or LRCC, not both. Even if I do understand what's happening, I think I'd find it too confusing.

Maybe you would be better off simply storing copies of the originals in the cloud storage folder that comes from the CC App (see its Assets tab). This is more like a Dropbox folder, and I think the 20gb covers both this space and the synced assets.

John

jrsforums

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:43:46 am »

OK, then in that case I assume you already use LR "Classic" as your main (synced) catalogue. It only uploads smart previews which are 2560 pixel images (longest size).

Identify these best images in Classic, sync them (eg via a Best Photos collection), then export them and choose the Original format in the Export dialog. Open LRCC and import these copies which will then be uploaded to Adobe's cloud. Select an image in LRCC and the Info panel (bottom right) will show that you have an original in the cloud.

Adobe's server then detects that the newly-uploaded original matches an image that is already synced, so Classic won't download it again. You're now left with your original catalogued in Classic, and a copy original in the cloud.

I hope I have all the details right, but it's not meant to be easy or slick. Adobe see you using either LR Classic or LRCC, not both. Even if I do understand what's happening, I think I'd find it too confusing.

Maybe you would be better off simply storing copies of the originals in the cloud storage folder that comes from the CC App (see its Assets tab). This is more like a Dropbox folder, and I think the 20gb covers both this space and the synced assets.

John

Thanks John.  I also find the thought of both Classic and CC installed confusing.  Seems too many areas of potential “confusion”.

If I wanted to play with CC, I think I would do it with a new, separate Adobe login.  The price of CC is basically just the cost of the cloud storage.

Of course, now that I am thinking that, not sure my iPad could handle two logons.  Hmmm.  Guess it’s a goog thing I not really interested inCC at this time. 😀
John

William Walker

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 03:22:33 am »

n

Thanks for taking the time John, I really appreciate it! I am pretty much doing what you suggested and it is working as I intended!
20GiB should be more than enough to store only what I think are my most precious files as a third bit of insurance/backup!

Thanks again,
William
Pages: [1]   Go Up