Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Scoro with Primo heads  (Read 3320 times)

FL at CC

Broncolor Scoro with Primo heads
« on: November 05, 2017, 04:45:37 am »

Hey there guys, just have a question for my Broncolor friends. A mate gave me a couple of old Primo heads without flash tubes. I run a Scoro A4s pack, before I invest a few clams in new flash tubes, would anyone give me a heads up whether they're "Scoro safe"? Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:53:56 am by FL at CC »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Broncolor Scoro with Primo heads
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:51:28 pm »

I am surprised that this has sat here. My understanding is that pretty much every head works with every pack except the Mobi which is pretty good.
Here is a chart
https://captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Broncolor-Compatibility-List.pdf
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

paulster

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:54:02 am »

Technically the tubes aren't Scoro safe, but that is because the Scoro can dump a massive amount of power in a very short time to get its super-short flash duration, or can repeatedly dump significant amounts of power into the tubes when used in the stroboscopic type modes.

There aren't any Scoro-rated tubes available for the Primo head (in fact I think the only tubes that are technically rated for it are the Pulso/Unilite tubes with the * designation), so your option is simply to not abuse the tubes if you're going to use a Primo head.  If you're going to use ultra-short flash durations then keep the power to a sensible level, and be cognizant of the duty cycle if you're using strobe modes.  If you keep within the Grafit A specs then you can use full power, but if you start going beyond these then you're going to want to de-rate the tubes to account for the additional abuse.

On a related note, if you're going to have to buy tubes for these then take a look at Phoxene.  Their tubes are fantastic, perform every bit as consistently as the Brons, and are way cheaper to boot.

The one thing I will say about the Primo, from experience, is I don't like the fact that there isn't a locking mechanism for the modifier.  You simply align the two tangs on the modifier and then rotate it, and it's this that keeps it from falling off.  Not the most secure mounting mechanism by a long shot.

FL at CC

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:21:55 pm »

Thanks a bunch for the amazing info, paulster! Yup, I've bought a couple of Scoro-spec 3200 tubes from Phoxene a couple of months ago for my Pulso heads and they're brilliant. Really superb products and service. In terms of my use for the Primo heads, it would basically come down to low to mid power use on Grafit packs - was curious whether the tubes had the performance to withstand any consequential use on a Scoro if the occasion ever arose.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »

There is no significant difference whether your tube is powered by Grafit or Scoro, they both have 3200J power and share the same capacitor voltage. As Paulster already pointed out it is a matter of the repetition rate that the Scoro is able to put out. Even those *rated tubes can easily suffer should you abuse them with the high repetition rate at high power, Scoro is a beast. Please note you loose the short flash duration and advanced controls when using max power. I barely use more energy than 800J from one outlet for various reasons. That said you might ask at phoxene, they will most likely be able to also make *rated tubes for Primo heads. Cheers!

FL at CC

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:55:58 pm »

Thanks for the additional info, Ulf! Yup, as I'm being given the Primo heads they'll see much lighter duty, as backup or fill lights. Rarely at quarter power max on the Grafit or Scoro. Any of my high powered work for 10x8 is recreational and definitely not over 8 or 10 hour days (I use a great old Quadmatic 3k for that I keep running). I'll indeed contact Phoxene again for * suitable Primo tubes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up