Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Without Scaling to the Media  (Read 1667 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Printing Without Scaling to the Media
« on: November 04, 2017, 12:49:43 pm »

When printing from Photoshop there is an option in the print dialogue box to select printing without scaling to the media.  This option doesn't appear available in Lightroom; printing always imposes the borders from the media selected in Page Setup.  This shrinks the image to fit within the bordered are unless you select a ‘borderless’ page size.  For slightly complicated reasons I cannot use the borderless option but have to impose 30mm margins (a Canon printer printing on ‘fine art’ paper).  However, I want to print at 100% nevertheless.

I have tried using the ‘Zoom to Fill’ option in Lightroom but this scales the image to slightly less than 100%.

I’ve had a rummage around in the print module but cannot find how to print without the borders being automatically imposed.

Is there any way of getting round this restriction in Lightroom or will I have to print from Photoshop ?

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
Re: Printing Without Scaling to the Media
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:23:15 pm »

In the layout panel, the margins can all be set to 1.18” (30mm) and then the cell size can be set with both sliders all the way to the right.

If the proportions your image are not exactly the same as whatever paper is left when the margins are subtracted, then two of the margins will not be 30mm.  Zoom to fit will enlarge and crop your image to fit the cell size.

In the guides panel, if you set the guides to show then you can see what you’ll get.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 06:05:57 pm »

Jeffrey, thank you for suggestion.

Unfortunately the maximum cell size is restricted by the margins which are determined by the media setting in Page Setup.

I need to enlarge the image beyond the cell size to fill the whole page.  It is possible to do this in Photoshop by deselecting the option “Scale to Fit Media”, but with Lightroom it appears that the media selection always determines the cell size – i.e. A4, A4 (borderless), A4 (Art Paper Margin 30) and cannot be disabled.  Thus my question.

The Canon printer will not print with the fine art media selection unless the 30mm margin option is also selected in Page Setup.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »

Simon, I didn’t consider that the Canon situation would be different from that for my P800.
I can’t help with the Canon.  Sorry.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 06:34:22 pm »

Jeffrey, thank you anyway.

Yes, this is a particular Canon problem.

Fortunately, it is possible to make my prints from Photoshop; but it would be nice if I could from Lightroom too.  It seems not…

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:05:01 pm »

You're welcome.  Maybe another time.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up