Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Tripod Support for X1D with 120mm Lens and Adapter  (Read 2130 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles

I'm working in the studio with my X1D and an HC120 lens using the finally released HC to X1D adapter. When I place the camera in vertical orientation, the weight and balance of camera with lens is too much for the little 1/4" mounting screw so it quickly slides downward. Any suggestions for some sort of tripod mount that will hold the camera and lens steady in the vertical position?

hubell

Re: Suggestions for Tripod Support for X1D with 120mm Lens and Adapter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:58 pm »

I'm working in the studio with my X1D and an HC120 lens using the finally released HC to X1D adapter. When I place the camera in vertical orientation, the weight and balance of camera with lens is too much for the little 1/4" mounting screw so it quickly slides downward. Any suggestions for some sort of tripod mount that will hold the camera and lens steady in the vertical position?

How are you mounting the camera to the tripod? What type of head? L Bracket? Do you have a PPL Tripod Collar for the X1D Adapter? The HC 120mm lens is a bit of a beast. I would definitely suggest the PPL collar. I would also suggest a Arca D4 head to micro adjust the position of the framing.
Sorry to try to spend your money! [G]

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »

I was wondering this also as I have a selection of HC lenses and lust after an X1D.
I gather that there is no tripod mount on the adapter.
That seems a serious omission. HC lenses are very heavy.

It seems that you can get a collar at http://ppl.de for  279 €
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

hubell

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:35:38 pm »

I was wondering this also as I have a selection of HC lenses and lust after an X1D.
I gather that there is no tripod mount on the adapter.
That seems a serious omission. HC lenses are very heavy.

It seems that you can get a collar at http://ppl.de for  279 €

Yes, I was surprised that the X-H adapter did not include a tripod collar. I purchased one from PPL and it works quite well in terms of moving the stress point away from the X1D lens mount. I use it with the HC 150mm and 210mm.

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:43:41 am »

How the X to H adapter didn't have a tripod mount is almost as bad as the lack of a 2.5mm shutter release.  I started to noodle about how a better adapter would be done, and I think it would be an adapter with a sliding clamp that would firmly hold the lens to the body, with an arca plate on the bottom of it.
t: @PNWMF

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:45:59 am »

I don't have any sort of collar or adapter. What is this PPL collar? I searched on both the PPL site and Google and couldn't find it. Anyone have a link to where I might purchase one? I'm working with a ball head on carbon fiber tripod. It's a bit underpowered, but I'd have the same problem with a bigger head and tripod since the weak link is the 1/4" screw connection to the camera.

TimoK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:32:45 pm »

Product link
Purchasing by email: ppl@ppl.de

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:24 pm »

Product link
Purchasing by email: ppl@ppl.de

There is a Hasselblad dealer in Florida by the name of Peter Lorber who stocks them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up