Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New firmware for Epson P9000  (Read 2283 times)

datro

New firmware for Epson P9000
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:53:19 am »

FYI...I just noticed that Epson has posted new firmware for the P9000.  The description states:

"This file contains the Epson SureColor P9000 Firmware Update version LW018HA. This firmware includes bug fixes for issues that could cause erroneous printing."

I presume there are also updates for the other PXXXX printers as well but didn't check.

Dave

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: New firmware for Epson P9000
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 01:45:08 am »

helpful as usual.  Would be nice if epson clarified what they are fixing.  My 9000 has been performing flawlessly, hate to apply a firmware fix that might break it.

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 03:19:18 am »

helpful as usual.  Would be nice if epson clarified what they are fixing.  My 9000 has been performing flawlessly, hate to apply a firmware fix that might break it.

It's very rare that a firmware update to these printers causes an issue (and if it doesn't it's usually fixed very quickly - so if you wait a week or two from release you should be able to update with high confidence.  Anytime you do have an issue, it's likely the first things that's going to be recommended is that you update the firmware anyway.
Phil Brown

datro

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:06:24 pm »

I've now updated my P9000 firmware and have run a number of prints with no problems.  So far I haven't noticed any change in functionality (printer menus, overall behavior, etc.).  I did note that the network card firmware has also been updated to version F9.66.

@Phil, I have to agree with Wayne regarding the incredible lack of details from Epson when new firmware is made available.  It would be extremely helpful if we had more information on these firmware updates regarding what problems have been addressed and what has changed.  Can you explain to us why Epson does not provide more information?

Dave

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:43:05 pm »

@Phil, I have to agree with Wayne regarding the incredible lack of details from Epson when new firmware is made available.  It would be extremely helpful if we had more information on these firmware updates regarding what problems have been addressed and what has changed.  Can you explain to us why Epson does not provide more information?

Not really, except to say it's pretty common across a lot of products and vendors, just as it's common for some to provide extreme details.  I think the whole gamut is covered when it comes to info about firmware and updates.

You could always contact them and ask for more details?

I look at it like this.  It takes time, and therefore cost, to update the firmware.  No company is going to do that just for the sake of doing it, so it's almost certainly worthwhile taking advantage of the update when it's made available (or a short time afterwards), but if you want to know more, I'd contact the vendor (directly or via a dealer or whatever is appropriate for the given product).
Phil Brown

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »

I suppose I'm notorious for not updating printer firmware, at least not until necessary due to an issue perhaps.  I took possession of a P7000 in July and downloaded a Firmware update a month later.  I just downloaded the most recent FW update and placed it nicely in my Epson folder for future reference.  While there, I noticed that I hadn't applied the previous FW update, so I have what is probably a very silly question.  However, after reading the introduction to this reply it would likely not be so silly at all.  So here I go.  Is it necessary to apply the previous FW update before the most recent one.  I'm sure the obvious answer would be NO, but I would rather ask the "silly" question than cause a problem with the printer in some way.  I will however wait and watch this thread closely for a few days at least, to follow the exploits of others such as Wayne etc.

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 09:01:45 pm »

I suppose I'm notorious for not updating printer firmware, at least not until necessary due to an issue perhaps.  I took possession of a P7000 in July and downloaded a Firmware update a month later.  I just downloaded the most recent FW update and placed it nicely in my Epson folder for future reference.  While there, I noticed that I hadn't applied the previous FW update, so I have what is probably a very silly question.  However, after reading the introduction to this reply it would likely not be so silly at all.  So here I go.  Is it necessary to apply the previous FW update before the most recent one.  I'm sure the obvious answer would be NO, but I would rather ask the "silly" question than cause a problem with the printer in some way.  I will however wait and watch this thread closely for a few days at least, to follow the exploits of others such as Wayne etc.

Gary   

Gary - no need to run them sequentially.  So long as you have a more up to date version, then the application will let you run the update and it will be fine.  So once you decide to go ahead, it will be OK.
Phil Brown

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:10:13 am »

Gary - no need to run them sequentially.  So long as you have a more up to date version, then the application will let you run the update and it will be fine.  So once you decide to go ahead, it will be OK.

Thanks Phil, much appreciated.  I think I might break my habit and update the FW much sooner this time.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up