Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '57 Thunderbird  (Read 1374 times)

Rob C

'57 Thunderbird
« on: November 04, 2017, 10:53:39 am »

On a different scale to my favoured (theoretically) '59 Coupe de Ville, this '57 Tbird shows how something can quickly peak, and then loose its integrity and slide the slippery slope.

http://es.fanpop.com/clubs/ford/images/38574246/title/1957-ford-thunderbird-photo

Later models became massive behemoths (I enjoy tautology when my own!) that appeared to leave the notion of sport far behind in the pages of the book of good intentions.

From the pretty version in American Graffiti it was to develop all the charm of Britain's Sierra, the first upturned bath car I can remember. Welcome the era of the blancmange on wheels. YMMD.

Another little car my wife and I liked was Rootes' Alpine two-seater sports model. (Bond drives one in Thunderball or Dr No -I forget which, and for the US market, a V8 was made - was it a Tiger? - and given, in pink, to one of the Playboy Playmate of the Year.) I remember she dragged her Dad (my wife, not the Playmate) and myself to the showroom where a new one was on display. Nope, he didn't buy it for her. Bummer! I could have enjoyed that! But there's a stinger: much later on, here in Mallorca, we got to know the garage owners - friends of my wife's father - and the wife laughed when we mentioned the event: turned out she decided to have it for herself, and later had to call the garage to pick her up: somebody had forgotten to fill the oil deposit. One new, dead engine and one irate business owner. I don't know if heads rolled.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:05:23 pm by Rob C »

Telecaster

Re: '57 Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:38:21 pm »

1957 was a pretty good year for US automobiles. At or near peak tailfin. The Corvette got peppier too.

-Dave-

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:36:54 am »

Here is another view of the red T-bird.

degrub

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:27:44 am »

Seeing those shots makes me pine for my grandmothers Studebaker Hawk. The silver streak we called it as she would wind it up on the bridges over the bayous of southern Louisiana with all us kids compressed in the back seat. For "safety" she said. LOL.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:19 am »

Seeing those shots makes me pine for my grandmothers Studebaker Hawk. The silver streak we called it as she would wind it up on the bridges over the bayous of southern Louisiana with all us kids compressed in the back seat. For "safety" she said. LOL.

I hope you like swamp pop rock! I love it, and have the later Rajun' Cajun version at KLEB on most of the time; used to listen to KLRZ FM.com, the original bearer of the name, but it gave up music for sport... no accounting for taste!

Before that, back in the early 50s, it was New Orleans jazz that I loved most. Came Chuck Berry and Fats, and life changed. Great part of the world for music; lucky you.

Studebaker, in India (where I saw the American cars pre '54), had a look that suggested it could go both ways fast: the slopes in front weren't that different to those at the tail. It was a culture shock, after all those years, going back to the UK and seeing what passed for cars; heysoos we were a generally impoverished nation back then! That's the only reason some of our car makers survived: people were desperate to spend the incomes that derived from the massive rebuilding that the end of WW2 encouraged - hence the survival of Austin, Morris et al. until the end inevitably arrived through wider, often foreign choice and suicidal union activity. Maybe the US also ended up experiencing the effects of factory hubris.

One of the wonderful things about today and the Internet is the ability we now have to communicate instantly with people from different cultures, and discover their different takes on life. That's such a great possibility.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:22:34 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:31:27 am »

Here is another view of the red T-bird.

Lovely shot!

In general, and with all due respect to a different culture, the older US cars seem to have a less kind look to their interiors and hard plastics can't give the ambience of wood and leather; even today, I think Jaguar makes better cockpits and dashboards than do BMW or Mercedes. I can't compare with the American cars now, as I almost never get to see any anymore, apart from one or two old Mustangs, but even Jags are still rare on the isle.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:58:24 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up