Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PremierArt Print Shield Muddy Blacks  (Read 5356 times)

chriscor

PremierArt Print Shield Muddy Blacks
« on: September 15, 2006, 04:13:28 am »

I'm printing with a Epson 4000 on Moab Entrada 300 weight paper. I just finished printing 80 plus pages for several portfolio books. I coated the prints with PremierArt print shield to protect the images from handling and from scuffing when the books get shipped. The spray muddied the blacks and left a mottled look on the prints. The muddied blacks are very apparent on BW images. To say that I'm less than thrilled would be a huge understatement. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a better spray to use? Would I be able to re-coat the prints and deepen the blacks using a satin/gloss spray or Glamour 2 varnish?

Thanks for any suggestions.

EarlyMan

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:04:59 pm »

Hi -

I have experienced this effect when I put too heavy of a coat of print shield on the print. I have found the best way is to put on lots of very light coats.

E-

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 03:16:44 pm »

I second EarlyMan's post. I've printed with the 4000 on Entrada in all its finishes and weights, and I use PremierArt spray always. Never any problems unless I spray too soon or too heavy.

I use three very light coats applied from at least 12-18" away, with each coat's "strokes" applied at 90 degrees print rotation from the one before.

Most likely answer is that your ink was still wet when you applied the spray (can take dense blacks at least a few minutes or more to dry; ideally the prints should dry 48 hr before you spray them) or you sprayed too heavy a coat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:17:07 pm by mikeseb »
michael sebast

chriscor

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:08:30 pm »

Thanks for the info.
I just reprinted some of the images and there is a definite difference between the sprayed images and the new prints.  Most of the previous prints I coated were printed over a week ago so I don't think it's an issue of the ink not being dry.
I spoke with someone at PremierArt and they said that they haven't heard of any compatibility problems with Entrada.
I'll let these dry 24 hrs before re-coating.  Hopefully it's application issue and this go round will turn out better.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up