Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Legacy Platine quality control issues ?  (Read 1340 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Epson Legacy Platine quality control issues ?
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:02 pm »

I'm not sure what is going on but I purchased a roll of 24" Legacy Platine paper and am seeing the following behaviour with the paper that does not occur when I use cut sheets using the same settings. I get a bit of paper warping in some areas of the print, not sure if to much ink is being put down (once again, not there on cut sheets) and I also can see roller marks of some sort on the pack of the paper. Those bother me less but I'm still not sure why they are there. I'm using an epson P9000 for the prints.

The start of the roll (a full 30 or so inches) had a bit of marking on the paper surface itself, almost as if the wax paper strip that is used to hold the roll together was put on to tight creating a depression. Has anyone else experienced this issue before with this particular paper ?

mearussi

Re: Epson Legacy Platine quality control issues ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:26:11 am »

That's a coating flaw. There should be a barrier between the inkjet coating and the paper substrate preventing the ink from soaking into it. If barrier didn't go on evenly this is the kind of problem you'll get. One of the advantages of the Canon printers over the Epson is that they put down less ink so this kind of flaw/problem is less noticeable.

Contact Canson, either by email or phone and tell them (include batch #), and they should send you a replacement roll. I had a emulsion flaw (different than yours) on their Museum Pro canvas and they sent me a replacement.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:44:18 am »

do you release the roll of paper once a print is made, or do you let it sit in the printer for several hours/days  until the next print?  The dents look like those I get if I don't release the paper back onto the roll and let it sit in the printer for a period of time.

I don't remember this happening with my 9900 but then again I used 24x30 sheets of EEF with that printer.  I can't get Baryta or platine in sheets that size so have been using rolls, and have had a couple of issues where the printer seems to dent the paper if it sits loaded for extended period of time.

I also have struggled with a  lot of head strikes.  I found increasing the back tension to maximum as well as setting the paper width to 5 or 6mm and platen gap to widest has eliminated those.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:35:32 am »

do you release the roll of paper once a print is made, or do you let it sit in the printer for several hours/days  until the next print?  The dents look like those I get if I don't release the paper back onto the roll and let it sit in the printer for a period of time.

I don't remember this happening with my 9900 but then again I used 24x30 sheets of EEF with that printer.  I can't get Baryta or platine in sheets that size so have been using rolls, and have had a couple of issues where the printer seems to dent the paper if it sits loaded for extended period of time.

That happens with every printer I've used, but usually the dent goes away after I print on it. But I do try to remember to remove the roll after I'm done just to prevent that dent.

I also have struggled with a  lot of head strikes.  I found increasing the back tension to maximum as well as setting the paper width to 5 or 6mm and platen gap to widest has eliminated those.

rogan

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:09:54 pm »

Thanks Wayne

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:41 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I definitely don't let the paper sit in the printer after I'm done printing. I always roll it back so I'm fairly sure this is not the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up