Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)  (Read 2116 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:59:39 am »

The Pap of Glencoe is a mountain on the northern side of Glen Coe, in the Highlands of Scotland. It lies at the western end of the Aonach Eagach ridge, directly above the point where the River Coe enters Loch Leven - as described by Wikipedia and here is the correct meaning and Gaelic pronunciation of Sgorr na Ciche for those who are interested.

This peak is classed as a 'Graham', as it is not quite high enough to be classed as a 'Munro'.

This super large pano was taken just a few days ago on a quick (36 hour) photo tour around the length and breadth of Glen Coe and Glen Etive, which turned out to be very productive for me indeed as the weather was perfect for photography, with lots of early mist in the glens and rolling around on the peaks, as well as lots of autumn colour and then all capped off by two of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen :)

It was photographic nirvana  ;D

I was only at this scene for around thirty minutes, but in that time the guy shown walking up the shoreline on the right of this shot, seemed to be wandering about trying to find a composition (I assume) with his camera still tucked away safely in his camera bag, so I don't know if he got anything worthwhile although I certainly hope he did, but my tip is that when you find yourself in such lucky circumstances where you know you have got to work quickly and you haven't got time to think, is instead of wandering around looking for that perfect shot and risking that the reflection will disappear before you find it, is to setup and shoot a quick couple of vertical orientation pano's and get something on the memory card first, as it might turn out to be your best shot if you do.  ;)

Also no need for slow shutter speeds and lots of DoF either, as the foreground reflection even at your feet, is only as sharp as the distant objects it is reflecting, so focus on the distant shoreline or perhaps something around two thirds into the scene instead of the usual one third into the scene (the smaller boat in the centre distance for example), which should also mean that anything around f/11 or f/16 should do nicely.

...and here endeth the first lesson  :D

Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:16:10 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

Re: The Pap of Glencoe (Sgorr na Ciche)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:07 am »

The Pap of Glencoe is a mountain on the northern side of Glen Coe, in the Highlands of Scotland. It lies at the western end of the Aonach Eagach ridge, directly above the point where the River Coe enters Loch Leven - as described by Wikipedia and here is the correct meaning and Gaelic pronunciation of Sgorr na Ciche for those who are interested.

This peak is classed as a 'Graham', as it is not quite high enough to be classed as a 'Munro'.

This super large pano was taken just a few days ago on a quick (36 hour) photo tour around the length and breadth of Glen Coe and Glen Etive, which turned out to be very productive for me indeed as the weather was perfect for photography, with lots of early mist in the glens and rolling around on the peaks, as well as lots of autumn colour and then all capped off by two of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen :)

It was photographic nirvana  ;D

Dave

Hi Dave!

I didn't know Political Correctness had so infiltrated the Scottish Tourist Board! But hey, when I left Écosse, LGBT was probably still a railroad company.

;-(

Rob

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:42 am »

Hi Dave!

I didn't know Political Correctness had so infiltrated the Scottish Tourist Board! But hey, when I left Écosse, LGBT was probably still a railroad company.

;-(

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes I know, "Pap" is not really a very nice word is it, especially when referring so directly to the female form, but hey that is what it is called and has been called for many hundreds of years I assume.

Although without trying to be in anyway sexist, you can easily see why it was given this name in the first place can't you?

Dave
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:32:52 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:25:39 am »

Calm and peaceful Dave. Further evidence that lovely images can be made without recourse to the "drama" buttons in lightroom/ photoshop. I don't really understand the PC comments, wrong end of the stick perhaps? Ken

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:03 am »

Lovely forms here, Dave. I agree about working quickly initially.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:01 am »

That's a bit of a beaut, Dave. I trust you have more to share with us; anything from the AE ridge?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:34 am »

Good advice and a lovely image.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:08:11 am »

Hi Rob,

Yes I know, "Pap" is not really a very nice word is it, especially when referring so directly to the female form, but hey that is what it is called and has been called for many hundreds of years I assume.

Although without trying to be in anyway sexist, you can easily see why it was given this name in the first place can't you?

Dave

Rob, write one hundred times, by hand:

I must not post weak jokes.
I must not post
I must
I......

Oy vey iz mir!

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:37 pm »

I must not post
I must
I......

Oy vey iz mir!
Alternatively, just post a link to a Monty Python or Fawlty Towers video and all is forgiven.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:46 pm »

Alternatively, just post a link to a Monty Python or Fawlty Towers video and all is forgiven.

Eric

Rather Benny Hill...

:-)

Rob

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:29:08 pm »

Thanks everyone  ;)

I must not post
I must
I......

Oy vey iz mir!

Oh I see Rob, sorry but I'm a bit slow on the uptake today it seems, but now I am smiling  ;D

Rather Benny Hill...

:-)

Rob

Ah Benny Hill, those were the days weren't they Rob? But now you could probably get locked up just for daring to look at Benny's slap and tickle type of British saucy postcard humour these days, which I am not sure whether that is a good or a bad thing  :-\

Good advice and a lovely image.

Thanks Eric for both compliments  :D

Calm and peaceful Dave. Further evidence that lovely images can be made without recourse to the "drama" buttons in lightroom/ photoshop.

Yes Ken, sometimes all you have to do is point a camera at it, not very often I admit, but sometimes...

Lovely forms here, Dave. I agree about working quickly initially.

I agree, as mirror like reflections and perfect lighting wait for no man/woman  ;)

That's a bit of a beaut, Dave. I trust you have more to share with us; anything from the AE ridge?

Sorry Bill but I just didn't have the time and if I am honest, hiking up and down mountains how ever small they are, is something that would probably kill me, although we do make an ascent up to the Old Man of Storr about once a year, even though the stagger back down usually kills my knee joints  :o

Yes I do have more shots Bill, but at the moment I am doing a full 12TB backup, which through a USB 2 connection, usually takes about three days, so no using my main imaging computer until it is all done and checked, but watch this space  ;)

Dave

Alskoj

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 07:11:13 pm »

Awesome!  I love the the two different reflection planes.  The shore and the boats.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:36 am »

Great work.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 03:48:28 pm »

Awesome!  I love the the two different reflection planes.  The shore and the boats.

Great work.

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up