Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satin Paper  (Read 4287 times)

marcmccalmont

Satin Paper
« on: September 13, 2006, 09:52:43 pm »

I am looking for a high quality satin inkjet photo paper with the folowing qualities:

1. heavy weight, thick 10 to 12 mil
2. very white and bright, most I have tried are a bit yellow compaired to Fuji Pro gloss
3. good for pigmented inks

If you have a favorite please let me know
Thanks Marc
Marc McCalmont

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Satin Paper
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:00:07 am »

I am looking for a high quality satin inkjet photo paper with the folowing qualities:

2. very white and bright, most I have tried are a bit yellow compaired to Fuji Pro gloss

Thanks Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've used Ilford Smooth Pearl a bit with my Epson 2400. It meets (2) and (3), not sure about (1) since they list the thickness as 280 microns and I'm too lazy to look up how to convert that to mil's. Weight is 280gsm so it's a fairly hefty paper by "photo paper" standards.

It's a nice paper, but there's some question about archivability. Ilford states that prints should last 30 years with pigment inks. That seems pretty low, considering Epson Premium Luster easily doubles that. But I don't think Ilford says which inks will yield 30 year print life so if the testing data is old it could be that the rating would be better with the latest inksets.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:04:28 am by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

marcmccalmont

Satin Paper
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:03 am »

Thanks for the input I was hoping for a paper a bit whiter than that though
Marc
Marc McCalmont

KeithR

Satin Paper
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:18:31 pm »

Thanks Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been using Hawk Mountain's Sharpwing Luster. I found the surface to be identical to Epsons Semi-Matte 250. I'm printing with Epson K3 inks on a 4800. The profiles I use are the Epson and they are very good, but I'll be making my own very soon. Thickness is 10 mil. Hawk has a swatch book for free after you fill out a form, and no, I don't get spam from them. I haven't used the Fuji Pro, but I did look for a bright white base with the surface I wanted.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

marcmccalmont

Satin Paper
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:38 am »

I have been using Hawk Mountain's Sharpwing Luster. I found the surface to be identical to Epsons Semi-Matte 250. I'm printing with Epson K3 inks on a 4800. The profiles I use are the Epson and they are very good, but I'll be making my own very soon. Thickness is 10 mil. Hawk has a swatch book for free after you fill out a form, and no, I don't get spam from them. I haven't used the Fuji Pro, but I did look for a bright white base with the surface I wanted.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Ill get a sample and give it a try-Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up