Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera bags for rock climbing  (Read 6532 times)

dobson

• http://
Camera bags for rock climbing
« on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:59 pm »

Currently when I climb multipitch I bring my 20D with 100-300 and 24-85 in an inexpensive over-the-shoulder style bag. The bag unfortunately tends to move around a lot and get in my way as I'm climbing.
   I'm seeking advice on a bag that would stay put and be unobtrusive (maybe at the small of my back), be secure (with loops to clip to anchors), very durable (it will be grating up hundreds of feet of sharp granite), and carry this gear in addition to couple of energy bars.
   Hopefully soon I will be upgrading my lens selection to the 70-300 DO and something fairly wide (the 17-40 if it isn't to heavy), so this bag should also accomadate these 2 lenses instead.

Thank you

Phillip Dobson

jmb

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 10:50:05 pm »

You could try the MountainSmith Tour Lumbar Pack... (Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack)

I recently bought it for climbing (and other stuff) and it seems to work quite well. It fits my Digital Rebel, 50mm, 17-55mm, and my 70-300mm, and some food quite easily. I usually wear it around my waist (a bit of a hassle when leading, but really not all that bad if you use a gear sling (if you rack everything on your harness, wearing it around your waist might be a bit of a pain in the ass...). It also has a pretty sturdy over the shoulder strap which is really nice for toting the bag up offwidths... Also, there are two handles sewn into the top of the bag (on either side of the zipper) that you can clip to connect the bag to the anchor.

I hope this helps,

JMB
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:51:45 pm by jmb »

outerspace

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:59:07 pm »

Hey Dobsen

Have you looked at the Lowepro slingshots?  They are a single strap backpack style pack.  Cool thing is you can slide it around from your back accross your chest.  It opens on the side (top as it is accross your chest) and the opening faces you , the flap away.  Was great on a week trip to Italy with lots of hiking and no place to put things on the ground.  Also, it won't interfer with you harness.  The larger model I have also has a waist strap to prevent shifting.  Would be my choice in a vertical enviornment.

I think the smaller one will hold all the gear you listed.  I stuffed a 20d and a 70-200 2.8 mounted (!), a 50 1.4, 17-40 4.0, .5 liter water, light jacket, cliffbar and angle finder C in the larger one (slingshot 200 aw) .  A bit heavy for the bag's intended use, but it held up fine.  And has a loop for clipping in.

Stephen

GregW

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 11:13:06 am »

I should preface my comments by saying I am not a pure climber by any means, but an alpinist who enjoys tackling the numerous 4000m peaks in the Swiss Alps.  I generally take a very light rack, 35L backpack (Blackdiamond ice climbing pack) and move quickly.  I often take a 12x zoom digicam, simply because it's small, light and I'm not too worried about loosing it.  

Like you I have struggled with what pack to use when taking a DSLR setup.  I have two setups depending on situation e.g. number of pitches necessary and complexity.

1.  The Lowepro Photorunner is quite good imo but it's not going to handle a quality 70-200 2.8 lens.  The Nikor 17-55 2.8 DX (If you don't know it, it's a physically big and heavy lens)   fit's well in the bag when mounted to a D200.  The compression and belt straps do a good job of keeping it stable even with a small Gizo attached.  http://lowepro.com/Products/Beltpacks/clas...oto_Runner.aspx   If you need more lens space either a separate sliplock lens case or an Off Trail from Lowepro would work.  

The issue I have is that belt packs in general just get in the way of my rack.  I have suspended it on a cord or sling but I'm not sure  I'm totally confident with the protection offered in this scenario.  I recently picked up a general photo backpack from http://www.kata-bags.com/index.asp which is very tough (they also make bullet proof vests).  One of their beltpacks would offer more protection.

2.  I ditch my 35l climbing pack for a 45 and stick in a toploader from Lowepro and a lens case for a larger or wider lens.  I can clip it to the outside of the pack if I want to have quick access otherwise it stays in the pack.  This is what I do when things are a little more difficult or hazardous.  The camera is less accessible but more secure.  I climb with a pack a lot and find this solution does not obscure my rack as much as the belt pack.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 11:14:02 am by GregW »

dobson

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:32:01 pm »

Thanks for the ideas guys. I like the idea of the slingshot, (the dual shoulder waistbelt idea) if it doesn't interfere with racking. The weight isn't a huge issue, this stuff isn't going on long alpine trips, just multi-pitch granite in the 5.8-9 range. If the route is much harder I can always haul a bag. I like being able to access my camera on lead (probably a bad idea but it yields cool photographs), that way I'm not limited to the standard butt-shot from the belay photo.

It looks like it boils down to actually trying some bags on and seeing what I like.

outerspace

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:30:15 pm »

Thanks for the ideas guys. I like the idea of the slingshot, (the dual shoulder waistbelt idea) if it doesn't interfere with racking. The weight isn't a huge issue, this stuff isn't going on long alpine trips, just multi-pitch granite in the 5.8-9 range. If the route is much harder I can always haul a bag. I like being able to access my camera on lead (probably a bad idea but it yields cool photographs), that way I'm not limited to the standard butt-shot from the belay photo.

It looks like it boils down to actually trying some bags on and seeing what I like.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The bag is light,  the stuff I shoehorned in isn't.  I was referring to how the bag carried with all that stuff in it.  I think I pushed its intended load capacity.  Still worked fine.  PM me and I'll send you a shot or 2.

Stephen
Pages: [1]   Go Up