Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anomalous P800 streaks  (Read 4787 times)

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
Anomalous P800 streaks
« on: October 29, 2017, 02:57:51 pm »

The attached jpeg shows streaks (each approx. 1/8-3/16 inch) on a print I made earlier today.  After I saw them I printed a nozzle check (normal) and another copy of the print (which turned out fine).  I haven’t seen this anomalous behavior before.

Any thoughts?  I don’t know what other information might be useful in diagnosing this, but I’ll provide it if requested.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:12:25 am by Jeffrey.Saldinger »
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Frodo

Re: Anomalous P800 steaks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:08 pm »

Looks like drops of black ink pushed along by the platen or something similar

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »

Contact Epson.
Phil Brown

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:35 pm »

Marks like that indicate ink getting onto the head. It can be caused by the ink switch problem. You haven’t done an ink swap after a long time by any chance?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:26:48 pm »

Marks like that indicate ink getting onto the head. It can be caused by the ink switch problem. You haven’t done an ink swap after a long time by any chance?

Which ink switch problem on the P800?
Phil Brown

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »

MK/PK swap
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:46:38 am »

Yes, but what are you saying is a problem with it on the P800?
Phil Brown

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 01:03:31 am »

If regular ink swaps aren’t carried out on any Epson inkjet with a single head position for both MK and PK, they will eventually fail when a swap is done and one cart will drain leaving marks as shown. I thought the P800 was such a printer. Google epson ink swap for more info than you want.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:52:34 am by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 03:02:14 am »

If regular ink swaps aren’t carried out on any Epson inkjet with a single head position for both MK and PK, they will eventually fail when a swap is done and one cart will drain leaving marks as shown. I thought the P800 was such a printer. Google epson ink swap for more info than you want.

Nope.  The 3800 had an issue sometimes and the 3880 less sometimes.  The P800 hasn't been reported as having this issue.
Phil Brown

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 04:07:34 am »

So Epson has reengineered the ink system?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
Re: Anomalous P800 streaks
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:07:25 am »

Although I print BW images with PK ink almost exclusively, I do print once a week an only-MK 9x6” "test" file on matte paper as well as a daily color test chart (on luster).  I developed the habit of this MK and color printing in order to let the printer regularly do everything it’s designed to do.

I did a nozzle check and the color chart this morning, as well as two BW prints, and the streaks I saw yesterday did not recur.

When I first bought my P800 about year ago, I inquired here about not using the MK ink:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114096.msg938901#msg938901

By the way, my current printer is a refurbished P800 Epson sent me about six weeks ago to replace my original printer, which failed while under warranty.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Farmer

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:43:42 am »

So Epson has reengineered the ink system?

Ah, you're just assuming.

The problem is detritus on the head or the pump cap and it's picking up ink and not being cleared off properly and then it's dumping it as the head and paper move.  If it never happens again, it was cleared.  If it happens again, call Epson.
Phil Brown

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:51:29 am »

Jeffrey, it may be something else but those streaks are evidence of an ink leak. I also do B&W printing but use an R2000 and Cone inks. I have seen those streaks often using 3rd party carts. I use a 3880 for colour and swap regularly. If the streaks are intermittent, then the leak may have only just started.

You can tell if a cart is leaking by weighing it, and monitoring it. I will shut up now as I appear to be speaking some form of heresy. There aren’t many ways to get streaks with these printers. Good luck with yours.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 11:07:11 am »

Thank you, Jeff and Phil.

I use only Epson inks, and the cartridges now installed have been in use for about six weeks (they were new from Epson when the replacement printer was delivered).  They range from about 1/3 to 2/3 full now.

My understanding of the design and engineering of printers is sketchy at best, but I infer from what Jeff said that a leak could begin spontaneously through normal usage.  Is that really possible?

As for detritus, one never knows, I suppose, but I am scrupulous about using a dust cover (even between prints) and never use the higher-end matte papers which I have read can cause some sort of shedding/dust contamination.

I trust you’ll know I’m not being cranky here, just adding these thoughts for the context of this situation.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Farmer

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 02:57:55 pm »

It's very unlikely that it's leaking.

It's either a one-off that you won't see again, or if it persists you need to call Epson for support because the unit is not cleaning the head properly.  Even the cleanest environments can pick up a fibre or hair or similar and it can get stuck around the head or the pump cap assembly and if the cleaning can't remove it then you can get ink building up and then being dropped as you see.  It can also happen if the head is striking the media periodically (if there the platen gap isn't wide enough for the media).
Phil Brown

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 04:50:12 pm »

Thank you, Phil.

The print in question was on Canson Baryta Photographique, and the advanced media settings are paper thickness 4, platen gap standard (my media type setting is legacy baryta, which has specs very close to the canson baryta).  I’ve used those settings for as long as I’ve had the P800, so isn’t unlikely that all of a sudden there would be a head strike?

Where you say “... if the cleaning...”, do you mean that if the streaks recur then a cleaning cycle is the next step?  I’ve had to run just one (after a slightly failed nozzle check), and that was on the original P800 that I ultimately returned to Epson.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »

Thank you, Phil.

The print in question was on Canson Baryta Photographique, and the advanced media settings are paper thickness 4, platen gap standard (my media type setting is legacy baryta, which has specs very close to the canson baryta).  I’ve used those settings for as long as I’ve had the P800, so isn’t unlikely that all of a sudden there would be a head strike?

Where you say “... if the cleaning...”, do you mean that if the streaks recur then a cleaning cycle is the next step?  I’ve had to run just one (after a slightly failed nozzle check), and that was on the original P800 that I ultimately returned to Epson.

Sounds like a head strike is unlikely. 

Yep - cleaning cycle is the way to go if you see that again.  If that doesn't resolve it, then get support from Epson.  I don't know how old it is since your first one or the replacement, but from a warranty perspective you may want to at least log a query with them so it's on record.  But as I said, if it goes away it was a one-off and I wouldn't be concerned.
Phil Brown

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 05:50:34 pm »

My current printer (a refurbished one, not new) was sent by Epson six weeks ago.

When I bought the original around this time last year I also bought the extended warranty, so it's nicely covered.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »

My current printer (a refurbished one, not new) was sent by Epson six weeks ago.

When I bought the original around this time last year I also bought the extended warranty, so it's nicely covered.

Excellent.  Don't be shy about calling them if it persists.
Phil Brown

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 10:06:51 am »

Don't be shy about calling them if it persists.

No, I won't be.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up