Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating matrix profiles with multi-point TRC's  (Read 4921 times)

Hermie

Creating matrix profiles with multi-point TRC's
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:12:01 pm »

How does one create matrix profiles with multi-point defined TRC's ? E.g. L-Star RGB uses a 256-point curve. Joseph Holmes' profiles use a 1024-point curve.
I know you can use Photoshop to create matrix profiles with gamma-defined curves, or BabelColor that allows for further customization of gamma curves, but is there any standard software that can create these multi-point curves?

Herman

TimothyFarrar

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:11:29 pm »

Herman, I too would also be interested in such a program. If you find one please post a link here.
Timothy Farrar
Farrar Focus Digit

Stephen Best

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 09:03:29 pm »

How does one create matrix profiles with multi-point defined TRC's ? E.g. L-Star RGB uses a 256-point curve. Joseph Holmes' profiles use a 1024-point curve.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76243\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're handy with a hex editor, you can just edit the tristimulus values and internal names. This takes less than a minute. Something with the primaries of Beta RGB and Joseph Holmes' new TRC would be interesting. I guess if you're paying for Holmes' profiles in the first instance he wouldn't mind you adapting it for your own use.

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:46:50 am »

If you're handy with a hex editor, you can just edit the tristimulus values and internal names. This takes less than a minute. Something with the primaries of Beta RGB and Joseph Holmes' new TRC would be interesting. I guess if you're paying for Holmes' profiles in the first instance he wouldn't mind you adapting it for your own use.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steven,

If you are starting out with an L-Star RGB a 256-point curve or Joseph Holmes' profile with a 1024-point curve, you can edit the primaries. However, how do you edit the tone curve itself?

Bill

Hermie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18:20 pm »

By the way, when searching on the subject I came across Argyll CMS.
The Argyll CMS package includes "iccdump.exe" that dumps the contents of an icc profile as readable text.

For example:
The following command-line syntax creates the file output.txt with all 1024 values of rTRC tag of sRGB profile:

iccdump -v3 -t rTRC srgb.icm >output.txt

See http://www.argyllcms.com

Herman

Stephen Best

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 05:50:10 pm »

Steven,

If you are starting out with an L-Star RGB a 256-point curve or Joseph Holmes' profile with a 1024-point curve, you can edit the primaries. However, how do you edit the tone curve itself?

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's easier to start with the profile with the desired tone curve and just modify the primaries. You'll also need to change the internal names as the profile will show up as a duplicate otherwise. You can use the ColorSync utility on a Mac for the latter.

I'm assuming you're doing this for your own private use only. Matrix profiles are pretty simple but likely still copyrightable etc. You could also ask the original author to make the mods on your behalf, assuming there's a wider demand for the combination of primaries and tone curve in question.

Hermie

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 06:01:42 pm »

> Matrix profiles are pretty simple but likely still copyrightable etc.

Right, from Joseph Holmes' website:
"The proprietary tone curve of my profiles is not generic and is therefore protected intellectual property, as is the unique combination of primaries in every published RGB working space. All published profiles are also themselves protected by copyright."

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 06:36:18 pm »

I'm assuming you're doing this for your own private use only. Matrix profiles are pretty simple but likely still copyrightable etc. You could also ask the original author to make the mods on your behalf, assuming there's a wider demand for the combination of primaries and tone curve in question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76371\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I asked for more information mainly from curiosity. For my own use I'm pretty satisfied with ProPhotoRGB and ACR's adjustment tools.

Hermie

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

I know you can use Photoshop to create matrix profiles with gamma-defined curves, or BabelColor that allows for further customization of gamma curves, but is there any standard software that can create these multi-point curves?

Herman
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The latest version of the free "ICC Profile Inspector" (2.3.9) incorporates the ability to modify many of the tag entries in a profile and to export/import TRC's.
See [a href=\"http://www.color.org/profileinspector.html]http://www.color.org/profileinspector.html[/url]

So, using an example export file from "ICC Profile Inspector" and MS Excel you could create a specific multi-point TRC and import it into a profile.

Herman
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 05:30:23 pm by Hermie »
Pages: [1]   Go Up