Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nik and DXO  (Read 6081 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Nik and DXO
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:29:29 am »

See https://www.dpreview.com/news/1675836798/dxo-acquires-nik-collection-from-google-and-will-continue-to-offer-it-for-free-for-now - DXO bought Nik and say  a new Nik Collection 2018 Edition is planned for mid-next year

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Nik and DXO
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 09:42:19 am »

Alleluia!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

kirkt

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:07:06 pm »

The new version of DxO Optics Pro, now called PhotoLab, will also incorporate Nik's U-Point masking technology.

kirk

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:39:26 pm »

Music to my ears

TomRobbins

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »

This is wonderful news, really made my day!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »

Great news! I'll be interested to see how the new release is.
-MattB

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:59:34 pm »

I wonder what the subscription fee will be!!!! ;D

TomFrerichs

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 05:08:00 pm »

(Hush, Alan. We don't need yet another thread to devolve into a discussion about another company's products.  ;) )

I think this is very good news. I've owned and used Nik plugins for a long time...yes, I paid for them...and I've been looking closely at Optics Pro 11 as my primary raw editor. When I get back to my desktop, I'm going to look at the upgrade price, if there is one, from OP11. And regardless, I'll download the new editor just to try it.

Tom Frerichs

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 05:16:49 pm »

Ugh, I didn't even consider that. :(
-MattB

bassman51

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 07:14:24 pm »

Your only previous choice was to use the free Nik until either Adobe or your computer’s OS rendered it inoperable.

Now your choice is that, or to pay DXO some money and continue using it in a new form.

So I’d say your (and my) situation has improved.  I’d prefer free, but my second choice is not-free and affordable.  One can only hope that DXO is not short term greedy, but long term greedy - they want to keep selling many copies at an affordable price.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:17 pm »

Excellent news!!!

U point is still by far the most powerful way to mask images automatically. It was years ahead of its time and still is.

DxO has a real opportunity to do something pretty amazing combining their image correction technology, their expertise with film emulation and the U point technology.

Cheers,
Bernard

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:45:38 pm »

Your only previous choice was to use the free Nik until either Adobe or your computer’s OS rendered it inoperable.

Now your choice is that, or to pay DXO some money and continue using it in a new form.

So I’d say your (and my) situation has improved.  I’d prefer free, but my second choice is not-free and affordable.  One can only hope that DXO is not short term greedy, but long term greedy - they want to keep selling many copies at an affordable price.

Actually I bought the Nik Suite when it was commercially available, before Google acquired them.
But it's not the possibility of paying for it that makes me groan but he possibility of subscription vs. a traditional license.
I'm just hoping for the more traditional license model, purely to suit my own preferences. I hadn't considered the model might change.
-MattB

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 01:36:31 am »

It seems that Photolab is already available.

Even better news.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »

Actually I bought the Nik Suite when it was commercially available, before Google acquired them.
But it's not the possibility of paying for it that makes me groan but he possibility of subscription vs. a traditional license.
I'm just hoping for the more traditional license model, purely to suit my own preferences. I hadn't considered the model might change.

And why should you have considered it? Other than Alan (who might, for all I know, have been being merely mischievous), has anyone suggested there might be a subscription charge? Does DxO have subscription charges for anything else? (PhotoLab is a one-off purchase, so far as I can see from the web site.)

Don't groan, Matt. Be happy that some excellent software (I'm thinking particularly of SFX) won't wither and die. I'm very happy; and, like you, I paid for the Nik suite. I don't regret a penny of the cost.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »

And why should you have considered it? Other than Alan (who might, for all I know, have been being merely mischievous), has anyone suggested there might be a subscription charge? Does DxO have subscription charges for anything else? (PhotoLab is a one-off purchase, so far as I can see from the web site.)

Don't groan, Matt. Be happy that some excellent software (I'm thinking particularly of SFX) won't wither and die. I'm very happy; and, like you, I paid for the Nik suite. I don't regret a penny of the cost.

Jeremy

I don't regret it either and I am happy they will live on.
I'll just hope Adobe maintains their monopoly on that price model in this marketplace. :)
-MattB

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 04:02:29 pm »

And why should you have considered it? Other than Alan (who might, for all I know, have been being merely mischievous), has anyone suggested there might be a subscription charge?
I was! ;)  I actually purchased Silver Efex as I do a lot of B/W and was happy when it went freeware by Google.  That's the only one of the NIK programs that I've ever been interested in.  Again, it boils down to whether it will add value to the stuff I do.  I really am agnostic about subscription models (after all I subscribe to LuLa).  We'll see what happens with the NIK programs in the future.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 10:30:29 pm »

It seems that Photolab is already available.

Even better news.

I have upgraded to Photolab last night and just played with it a little bit.

What they have done in terms of U-Point integration is very powerful. In my view this makes DxO the most powerful raw converter on the market. Simply put, it tops Photoshop in terms of local adjustements and does it on raw data.

The ability to tune WB with U-Point will make correction for mixed lighting situations child's play.

Now I need to check if they have improved their color rendering that I thought so far was behind C1 Pro.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 11:11:34 pm »

I met with the folks at DXO today.  They are very excited to carry on with the NIK products and make it even better and more compatible.  S you know parts of the technology is in their lab software already.  I did a short interview with them that will appear in my show video that will be published next week once we can all the material edited.  I'll be kept in the loop and we will report on DXO's progress as they share it.  For me, NIK has been a powerful tool, especially Silver Efex and Viveza.  The new interface that DXO has already shown in the use of the U-Point technology in their lab product is I believe a glimpse of what we can expect.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

hogloff

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 12:03:50 am »

Are they going to carry on the Nik plugins or are they just interested in integrated the technology into their own software?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 09:54:56 am »

It would be nice if DXO got their raw converter to handle Fuji X-series files. I would definitely update my old version then. Kevin, maybe you can mention it to them and see what they have to say if you are still in contact with them.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up