Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: October 24 X1D Firmware Update  (Read 2434 times)

Brad P

October 24 X1D Firmware Update
« on: October 24, 2017, 07:43:06 pm »

Just a quick note to owners and potential buyers of the X1D, Hasselblad today came out with a firmware update that addresses two of the most common critiques of that camera, lack of a joystick when setting focus points and octangular bokeh wide open with some high contrast out of focus background objects.  I’m now an owner of the X1D (no affiliation with H other than that) and, aside from waiting a bit on new lenses, couldn’t be happier.  I had often in the past wondered if I might have been happier with the GFX, especially given their abundant lens delivery.  As of today, I think those feelings may be going away permanently. 

The update essentially turns the touchscreen into a focus point selection device.  There are much more focus points now too given in an earlier update. 

Also, wide open only, the user is now given the choice of a fully circular aperture or octagonal one.  The XCD lens range has a straight blade default design.  That produces nice sunstars instead of blobs like circular blades can do in certain situations, and it has what feels to me like a nice impressionistic bokeh instead of a blurrier or creamier one.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and it’s mostly a matter of taste and scene.  But it’s very nice now to have the option.   

There are other improvements today too (e.g., programmable buttons).  Anyhow, there are quite a few happy X1D owners today. 

hubell

Re: October 24 X1D Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:33:12 pm »

Yes, it is ironic how many comments were made as to how Hasselblad had irretrievably screwed up by not including a joystick, and a joystick was NOT something that could be added in firmware.  Wait till the X2D. Well, what Hasselblad has come up with seems to me to be way superior to a joystick. With the X1D now, you hold the camera by the grip in your right hand (as you can and should, because it's small and light after all), you look through the EVF to compose with your left or right eye, and you use your left index finger to touch the left side of the LCD screen to move the AF point around in the EVF while still looking through the EVF. Compare the ergonomics of that with a camera like the GFX, where you first have to call up the AF point grid and then take your left hand and reach across your head (or under your nose) to the right side of the camera body where the joystick is located and somehow move the joystick up, down, left and right.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:12:40 am »

Honnestly, I am not convinced that this way of selecting AF points work better than a joystick or the existing front/rear controls available on the X1D already.

The left hand is needed to support the lens, I don’t want it to have to play with the rear screen to select focus point.

Cheers,
Bernard

Brad P

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:12:41 am »

Personally I agree with you Bernard on how to use the screen vis a vis AF points, though I have read others agree with Hubell this last day.  I’m not sure yet which I prefer and will be experimenting.  The observation I’d make for now is that to set the AF points we now have two options, one with the dials with the right hand as before, or now too the screen with either hand, which is a more joystick-like experience. Either is different from using a joystick and takes some getting used to but will become second nature and practically indistinguishable with some use.  And for selecting other camera functions, it’s hard for me to imagine me wanting to use a joystick rather than the X1D touchscreen now that I’m spoiled with the screen.

The new innovation that excites me more today is to have the option to use straight blade or circular aperture wide open. That’s almost as good as having two cameras in one or doubling your lenses when shooting wide open in terms of creating/dealing with different OOF effects. That with H’s accreting firmware upgrades makes the X1D a significantly better camera nowadays at least to me in my use than it was earlier to the point that I don’t personally think I’m looking back again.  Sure there is still more functionality that H can add, but that is becoming less meaningful and as Hubell intimates, the X1D is proving a pretty capable and upgradable box.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:32:06 am »

Glad to see Hasselblad added some new features. 

Joysticks however work great for me.    Glad the new firmware works but no problems holding a camera grip and moving the joystick at the same time for me.  Works fine on the GFX, X-T2 and now the Nikon. 

It's never been hard for me and I am right handed, might be different for left handed folks.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

siddhaarta

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:36:34 am »

I love it, but I use my right eye and my right thumb (right hand stays on the grip, left hand to stabilize the camera) to move the AF points. This is very comfortable and much faster than with joystick.

Ingenious !!

With the same thumb I then activate the focus button which is just in the right place for my hand. Even better would be the next iteration of this idea: double tap to focus on that AF point or (via preferences) double tap to focus and shoot immediately. That would mean: no more AF-D button needed.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 08:48:57 am by siddhaarta »

hubell

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:54:52 am »

Glad to see Hasselblad added some new features. 

Joysticks however work great for me.    Glad the new firmware works but no problems holding a camera grip and moving the joystick at the same time for me.  Works fine on the GFX, X-T2 and now the Nikon. 

It's never been hard for me and I am right handed, might be different for left handed folks.

Paul Caldwell

I am not saying you "cannot" do it. I just find it physically awkward reaching across my head with my left hand to move a joystick on the right side of the camera body when I am holding the camera body with my right hand.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 02:21:51 am »

And why ? You should move the joystick with your right thumb. Not your left hand.....

I think it’s great to see H adding features and improving features but selecting a focus point must be done one handed.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

hubell

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:44:59 am »

There are no rules here about how you select a focus point. We are talking ergonomics. For me, if I am holding any camera by the grip with my right hand, I don't see how I use my thumb on that hand to reach over and move a joystick around. I tried it with the GFX and couldn't do it. I had to use my left hand. I did not find that comfortable. I had a similar issue with the control wheel to the left of the hand grip. I literally had to move my right hand up and away from the grip in order to move the control wheel.

pschefz

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:41 am »

good to see hasselblad fix some of the issues, i personally am not a big fan of selecting an AF point via touch screen, i don't see how it is possible while holding a camera up to the face....the only time i have used it is for video when the camera is on a tripod and the focus point had to be shifted while shooting....and even then, no matter how soft the touch, it still moves the camera and now most of these cameras have such great focus tracking anyway that it isn't really necessary anymore.....i think in this case it was the only solution hasselblad had for lack of a joystick, and it is better then what was before....the next model should (and [robably will )have a joystick...
i saw some samples of the firmware bokeh fix, i guess now the shutter opens all the way? i am not sure why the hard lines where there to begin with and why they are softened now, to my eye they are not gone, just softened out, still not what i would call smooth...just weird...
either way, glad to see hasselblad really putting work into this, it is a great looking/feeling camera....this kind of thing keeps everybody on their toes, good for everyone....
schefz.com
artloch.com

SrMi

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:55 am »

good to see hasselblad fix some of the issues, i personally am not a big fan of selecting an AF point via touch screen, i don't see how it is possible while holding a camera up to the face....the only time i have used it is for video when the camera is on a tripod and the focus point had to be shifted while shooting....and even then, no matter how soft the touch, it still moves the camera and now most of these cameras have such great focus tracking anyway that it isn't really necessary anymore.....i think in this case it was the only solution hasselblad had for lack of a joystick, and it is better then what was before....the next model should (and [robably will )have a joystick...
i saw some samples of the firmware bokeh fix, i guess now the shutter opens all the way? i am not sure why the hard lines where there to begin with and why they are softened now, to my eye they are not gone, just softened out, still not what i would call smooth...just weird...
either way, glad to see hasselblad really putting work into this, it is a great looking/feeling camera....this kind of thing keeps everybody on their toes, good for everyone....

I hate using AF point via touchscreen as well, except maybe in live view when composing on a tripod. To my huge surprise, Hasselblad engineered a dependable way of moving the focus point without having a joystick. It is very easy to hold the lens with the left hand and move the focus point with the right thumb while holding the grip and with a finger on the shutter.

Still missing an option that would keep EVF active all the time so that there is no delay caused by eye sensor.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:35:22 pm »

Yep, there just is a reason for a joystick

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1]   Go Up