Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exit strategy for a Lightroom user  (Read 12616 times)

Tibor O

Re: Exit strategy for a Lightroom user
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 04:08:14 am »

To avoid the appearance of prejudice, please supply equivalent links for other public companies.

I was looking analyticaly just at the two companies in my interest: Adobe and Phase One. Here's the Phase One's Annual Report 2016

Disclaimer: I use C1, but have previously used Lightroom 1 & 2. I still use Photoshop CS3, though.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 09:56:19 am »

While the financial strengths of Adobe and Capture One are of great interest, aren't we wondering a bit from the original topic just a bit? I'm just tickled that Adobe is doing so well because I think one of my investment portfolios include Adobe. However, please remember, I'm the whiny photographer who thinks the world revolves about him, objects to change, and is looking at alternatives to Lightroom. Apparently I'm also good at facial mutilation, although I could probably do with a nose job when all's said and done. (grin)

Thank you all for your comments, even those that suggest I'm an idiot. Those last aren't going to change my mind, but they are framing the discussion.

Yes, I am aware of hardware and OS changes that could affect me and am prepared. Fortunately, I use Windows, which amazing seems to be more stable in versioning that the OS on Macs. Notice I said versioning, not operational stability. It does seem that the Mac folks have had more recent challenges when Apple retires deprecated APIs for various functions or makes other OS changes.

I've been working with Affinity and DxO's new PhotoLab. At this point I'm starting to find my way around the UIs, and I can probably accomplish whatever I need to do with either. My DAM software search is continuing, although I am discovering an advantage I hadn't thought about when using a non-LR DAM. (Just add "clueless" to whiny in the description above.) I have a large number of non-image documents to keep track of, and I've been using the old standby of directory structure to do so. I hadn't considered that a full featured DAM could help there as well as keep my image assets in order.

Tom

Tibor O

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 10:52:50 am »

My DAM software search is continuing, although I am discovering an advantage I hadn't thought about when using a non-LR DAM.

This is just one of many DAMs for Windows iMatch I am on a Mac without a need for DAM, but they exist also for the Mac, like NeoFinder

A while ago I did try Media Pro SE though and it was crashing all the time.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »

Two points:
(1) I'm on the LR/PS bundle subscription using LR 6.x. It performs beautifully. I'm staying there until I'm satisfied no serious non-repaired bugs will affect usability of the new upgrade.
(2) I shall continue to pay my 10 USD/month for this bundle and upgrade to LR Classic 7 once the aforementioned waiting period is over with. It remains the most practical, fully-featured and efficient  solution from camera to print/slides/web/books on the market, and the output quality is fine in the hands of competent users.

Mark, this sounds like my situation (I have Lr 2015.6.1 though).  How will you determine the time is right for the upgrade?
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 10:40:38 pm »

Mark, this sounds like my situation (I have Lr 2015.6.1 though).  How will you determine the time is right for the upgrade?

Hi Jeffrey - if another couple of months goes by with no signs of serious unattended issues I'll feel comfortable making the upgrade. So far it's looking pretty good from what I've been reading.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 11:31:21 pm »

I value your voice here, Mark.  If a couple of months is right for you, so it will be for me.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:19 am »

I upgraded from LR1.1 to LR5.7. It seems to work fine on Windows... and I generally believe that if an image needs lots of work, it would probably be better to go out and try to make a better one in the camera.
So while I have no interest in the subscription model atm, I'm not in any rush to find an alternative either. I'd guess I'll be good for another few years.
Maybe at that stage Adobe will re-discover an interest in an LR-lite sold with perpetual license.

YMMV, of course.

David Good

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:19 am »

I migrated from LR to Capture One Pro for Sony almost two years ago but still use PS6. It is not a DAM like LR although it does have Catalogs and a keyword search function. No time needed (or very little) to adapt to it's interface and tools if you are comfortable with LR.

I am also using Affinity Photo more now with it's very impressive Focus Stacking and Live Filter Layers, quite similar to PS in many ways, a bit different in others, impressive. Quimage has been my go-to for printing for years now, takes a bit to warm up to the interface but well worth the short investment in time (there is a MAC beta out now). I prefer dedicated programs for panoramas and tone-mapping (HDR) although as Bart mentioned Affinity does a good job at those. I am not anti-Adobe at all, have just explored alternatives and like them.

Dave

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 07:29:43 am »

I don't have an exit strategy, just a strategy to not (or not quickly) move to the CC model.

I'll just keep LR6.13 "perpetual" and forego the "upgrades" to the development module for some time. Most other feature upgrades are of no interest to me and even the develop module upgrades are marginal for my use. When a future camera is no longer supported I could even hold out longer by converting the files to dng and import those in LR6.

When all of that becomes unpractical or I feel I'm missing out on key upgrades I might go to CC, but I think I can hold out like I currently work for several years to come and when the time has come I'll look at the available options then, no need to worry about that today.
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up