Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does moving to LR CC/Classic mean losing my standalone version?  (Read 3143 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Does moving to LR CC/Classic mean losing my standalone version?
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:53:29 pm »

I have LR 6.6 stand-alone. I’m reticent to drink the Adobe Kool-Aid, but am also looking to the future. Since I teach workshops and do presentations, I want to stay current. So, despite my initial “Adobe can kiss my ...” comment, and the fact that I abhore the subs model, it looks like I don’t really have a choice.

So, will LR CC over-write my standalone version of CC (just in case I have a change of heart six months or a year down the line)? I’ve scoured the ‘net for an answer, but, given the confusion over what was LR CC and what LR CC is now, searches are coming up blank.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Leszek Piotrowski

Re: Does moving to LR CC/Classic mean losing my standalone version?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:14:51 pm »

Terry,.. I'm with you,... but I do not have a business to support,.. but I do care a lot about my LR SQL database that records my precious images.  So,.. If you can find out how the SQL LR Database is maintained going forward thru all these "LR upgrades/new/???  ",... It would be much appreciated.. I'm on LR 6.12,... so far all is good,.... for how long ,... time will tell.
Leszek, G

pearlstreet

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:25 pm »

Why not change the lame of your current Lightroom.exe (or whatever it's called) to something else when you install the new stuff? Wouldn't that prevent an overwrite?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:41:29 am »

I have LR 6.6 stand-alone. I’m reticent to drink the Adobe Kool-Aid, but am also looking to the future. Since I teach workshops and do presentations, I want to stay current. So, despite my initial “Adobe can kiss my ...” comment, and the fact that I abhore the subs model, it looks like I don’t really have a choice.

So, will LR CC over-write my standalone version of CC (just in case I have a change of heart six months or a year down the line)? I’ve scoured the ‘net for an answer, but, given the confusion over what was LR CC and what LR CC is now, searches are coming up blank.

The answer is no. However, it's never so simple, partly because Adobe make it difficult to know exactly what you are asking.

LRCC is generally being used for the brand new PC/Mac application Lightroom CC. But what you have been using before is now called Lightroom "Classic" or LR7.

Let's assume you mean to stay "Classic". When you install "Classic", the installation via Adobe's CC app defaults to removing previous versions. The Advanced Options let you keep them. When you open a LR6.6 catalogue, "Classic" makes a copy of it and upgrades the copy, which is good. It also appropriates its previews folder. If you want the LR6.6 catalogue to keep its previews folder, temporarily rename it before upgrading. This forces LR7 to build its own previews folder, which is what I prefer (preview generation is much faster in LR7).

But if we assume you do mean LRCC, the new desktop app, it installs separately and does not take over any existing content. It will populate collections / albums from smart previews that you may have synced to Adobe's cloud. There is a File > Migrate Catalog command which allows you to import a LR6/7 catalogue. You would use this if you wanted that catalogue's contents in LRCC, which will sync originals to the cloud. Because LRCC is now managing your originals and syncing them, Migrate Catalog also disables the LR6/7 catalogue's ability to sync. Personally, I won't do Migrate Catalog - I don't want my originals in the cloud, and am happy using LRCC as "Lightroom Mobile on my laptop".

A lot of detail there - hope it answers your questions.

John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:59:14 am »

Let's assume you mean to stay "Classic". When you install "Classic", the installation via Adobe's CC app defaults to removing previous versions. The Advanced Options let you keep them. When you open a LR6.6 catalogue, "Classic" makes a copy of it and upgrades the copy, which is good. It also appropriates its previews folder. If you want the LR6.6 catalogue to keep its previews folder, temporarily rename it before upgrading. This forces LR7 to build its own previews folder, which is what I prefer (preview generation is much faster in LR7).
John, I think this is what we are all wrestling with.  I'm also in the same boat and I would not want to have my LR6 removed or my existing catalog that LR6 uses compromised 'if' I update to the new LR Classic.  Is there way to clearly present this installation from removing the 'old' LR6?  The catalogue issue should be easy to deal with by simply renaming it to a new catalogue that LR7 won't import.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:14:49 am »

John, I think this is what we are all wrestling with.  I'm also in the same boat and I would not want to have my LR6 removed or my existing catalog that LR6 uses compromised 'if' I update to the new LR Classic.  Is there way to clearly present this installation from removing the 'old' LR6?  The catalogue issue should be easy to deal with by simply renaming it to a new catalogue that LR7 won't import.

Yes, Alan, it's all about remembering "by default" and it's not difficult... if you remember. When you press Upgrade in Adobe's CC app, the panel contains a link Advanced Options (Here is the dialog box). One of the options is Remove Old Versions - just uncheck it.

Your existing LR6 catalogue is always safe. LR7 copies it, adding a -2 to the filename, and then converts that new file.

jrsforums

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:35:05 am »

Yes, Alan, it's all about remembering "by default" and it's not difficult... if you remember. When you press Upgrade in Adobe's CC app, the panel contains a link Advanced Options (Here is the dialog box). One of the options is Remove Old Versions - just uncheck it.

Your existing LR6 catalogue is always safe. LR7 copies it, adding a -2 to the filename, and then converts that new file.

One additional consideration.  I expect that if you are updating the ‘XMP’ files, you should make sure that, at most, only one catalog does this.
John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:57 am »

One additional consideration.  I expect that if you are updating the ‘XMP’ files, you should make sure that, at most, only one catalog does this.

Sorry, I don't think XMP files are relevant here.

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:26:39 am »

Sorry, I don't think XMP files are relevant here.

Ok, so no worry if both LR6 and Classic are updating the xmp of the same images on the physical database?
John

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:40:19 pm »

The answer is no. However, it's never so simple, partly because Adobe make it difficult to know exactly what you are asking.
A lot of detail there - hope it answers your questions.

John

Many thanks, John, for clearing that up. This makes sense.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 10:20:22 pm »

There's one area that still remains unclear to me..  If both versions are kept, don't they still use the same appdata folder?  When I upgraded and removed previous versions (mistakenly, in retrospect), it's still showing the use of the same appdata folder.

What would be the ramifications of that?  Or if both versions are kept, does it duplicate the appdata folder for Classic?
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 03:44:51 am »

They do, but it's no problem. Their preferences files are different, and presets are identical format.
Pages: [1]   Go Up