Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP: MY DVD with photos on it from 2005 Cant access them  (Read 2743 times)

rollsman44

HELP: MY DVD with photos on it from 2005 Cant access them
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:11:39 pm »

Went to Italy 2005 and put the Photos on 2 CD's.  I am trying to make some prints up but when I insert the DVD in my IMAC nothing happens. I look under Devices and it does not show up there.  How can I get my photos off the DVD and put them in LR?    I am not sure what I used back then.  Maybe Canon 5D  Thank you. Dennis

Tibor O

Re: HELP: MY DVD with photos on it from 2005 Cant access them
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:17 pm »

Are you on macOS Sierra? I have an iMac with macOS Sierra that did the same as yours with my CD, then I put the CD in my Mac Pro with Mac OS X El Capitan and everything was OK. Hope this helps.

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:37 pm »

Yes I do Have Sierra.  Just upgraded about 8 months ago. Any solution ?   Thank you 

Tibor O

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »

Yes I do Have Sierra.  Just upgraded about 8 months ago. Any solution ?   Thank you

Go back to El Capitan or found a Mac with El Capitan or lower (a neighbour, a friend, ...). Nothing you can do on Sierra. Sorry. It seems that Apple abandoned CD / DVD support with Sierra.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »

Went to Italy 2005 and put the Photos on 2 CD's.  I am trying to make some prints up but when I insert the DVD in my IMAC nothing happens. I look under Devices and it does not show up there.  How can I get my photos off the DVD and put them in LR?    I am not sure what I used back then.  Maybe Canon 5D  Thank you. Dennis

You have mentioned two different formats here, DVD and CD, so I'm not sure what we're dealing with.  I'm also not sure it would make any difference, but thought I'd ask you to verify which format these are.  I just tried a DVD full of customer backup files dating back to 2006, although they probably wouldn't have been burned on the DVD until approximately 2011.  I do have some that were burned earlier, but I don't have the time to look through all of my DVDs now.  However, I'm running High Sierra and no problem at all opening all of the files, either in the Finder or in Photoshop.  My question is, what quality of CD or DVD did you use?  There are just the run of the mill CDs/DVDs, and then there are Archival versions of both, which obviously cost more.  I use the Taiyo Yuden CD/DVDs, because I know the files I burn will last at least as long as that format is supported.  Taiyo Yuden also produces these discs for JVC and Verbatim, but not sure that was the case back in 2005.  There's no doubt that not all CD/DVDs are created equal.  Now, the next question is what app did you use to burn the files?  The same issue goes along with some burning apps as well unfortunately, so that could also be a contributing factor to your problem.  And by the way, Taiyo Yuden is the Japanese company that first perfected the CD/DVD format, and they have always striven for the best archival media possible.  As Tibor has mentioned, go back to an older OS and try there.  If that works it would probably be a good idea to re-burn them on a good quality CD/DVD.

Gary     

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:23:01 am »

I've seen a lot of long term failures with home burnt CDs & DVDs. They just failed to deliver the archival standards that were expected.

If your Mac can't read them, try someone else. Some players handle errors better than others, also consider asking a PC user to try to access the disks too.
The 'easy' last resort is try accessing them on a Linux system. They can often read disks that are unreadable on Macs & PCs.
The final solution is a data recovery company, but that is likely to cost a small fortune so might not be worth it for you.

The lesson is to ensure multiple back ups on different formats, CD/DVD/HDD/cloud. I was lucky discovering my duff optical disks whilst I still had other sources of the data available.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »

Are these DVD+R or DVD-R? If you have a standard DVD or Blu-ray player that can read whatever they are, pop one of the discs into it and see what happens.

-Dave-

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 05:47:17 pm »

I think it is worse than that. I have two quad core tower macs both running El Capitan and I can burn dvds alright but no one can read them. My clients call me to tell me than none of their archived recently burned discs can be read. I can't even read them myself on the other Mac or my MacBook Pro! What a joke. I can actually read my recently burned dvds on my windows 10 pc but not most on my own macs.

I think it must have to do with useless updates that I installed. So Apple wants us to put 5 gig image files on their cloud or hard drives that will loose their capability to be read within a decade or so.

This is happening just at the time when the millennium or M carbon super permanent discs are available at a reasonable cost. Thanks again Apple genius kids for thinking about your short term worthless iPhone pics and videos and not professional imaging.

I'll have to go buy an external DVD writer. Not a big deal at all  but it would have been nice to know in advance of wasting so much time and energy trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

John

Go back to El Capitan or found a Mac with El Capitan or lower (a neighbour, a friend, ...). Nothing you can do on Sierra. Sorry. It seems that Apple abandoned CD / DVD support with Sierra.

rollsman44

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 07:12:24 pm »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I found out that the CD I have are Blank and that I stored them on other cd's that I just found . I appreciate all your help.  Thank you  Dennis

BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »

Er, ah...............Yes, that would explain why you were having a tough time reading them.  ;)

rollsman44

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:23 am »

I know. Its been so long since I found the CD;s   Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up