Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC Classic has a new process version, what is new?  (Read 3918 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Lightroom CC Classic has a new process version, what is new?
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:30:30 am »

Hi,

It seems that the new Lightroom version has a new Process Versions called PV4. What has changed from Process Version 2012?

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

mlewis

Re: Lightroom CC Classic has a new process version, what is new?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:45 am »

I think it is mainly to do with the new masking options available.  Otherwise not much has changed.

john beardsworth

• My photography site

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:14:43 am »

It seems that the new Lightroom version has a new Process Versions called PV4. What has changed from Process Version 2012?
NOT enough (yet) to deserve the name and attention  :o

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:08:01 pm »

NOT enough (yet) to deserve the name and attention  :o

Hey, Andrew.  Is that a hint of “Christmas future”
John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »

Hey, Andrew.  Is that a hint of “Christmas future”
Indeed. Just which Christmas?  :D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:50:11 pm »

In addition to the Range Masking tools already mentioned, there was also a change to the way the Auto Mask generated it's masks. Because of the way the masks are generated and stored, there was no easy way to shoehorn those changes into PV3 (2012).

The old Auto Masks had some problems in the way it felt with noise in captures and the mask generation. The new Range Masks were designed to address those problems but, there's a limitation in the mask generation–for example you can't add a Color Mask and then use the Luminance Mask option to erase certain portions. But you can combine either Color or Luminance Masks and use Auto Mask to add to or subtract from the Range Masks...You'll see how that's useful once you get used to using the new tools.

And "somebody" yelled bloody murder when Range Masks were going to replace Auto Masks...so the engineers went ahead and fixed the Auto Mask generation and added Range Masks as well. The combo is even more powerful...

The reason for the PV bump was because the old Auto Masks couldn't be easily updated and the format of the way masks are now generated and stored changed, so that's why PV4 (Current) was added...

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »

there's a limitation in the mask generation–for example you can't add a Color Mask and then use the Luminance Mask option to erase certain portions. But you can combine either Color or Luminance Masks and use Auto Mask to add to or subtract from the Range Masks. . . .

Thanks!  That's just what I was trying to figure out earlier today.  So you apply your range mask, then—while the local adjustment (e.g., brush tool) is still active—switch off the range mask and, having reverted to the auto mask, use it to subtract from the color or luminance mask that you had previously applied.  Is that correct?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:46:11 pm »

So you apply your range mask, then—while the local adjustment (e.g., brush tool) is still active—switch off the range mask and, having reverted to the auto mask, use it to subtract from the color or luminance mask that you had previously applied.  Is that correct?

No...you don't have to turn the Range Mask off to start using Auto Mask...to delete from the Range Mask using Auto Mask just set Auto Mask as active and use the erasure to delete from the mask. Adding works the same way...

Chris Kern

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:34:10 pm »

No...you don't have to turn the Range Mask off to start using Auto Mask...to delete from the Range Mask using Auto Mask just set Auto Mask as active and use the erasure to delete from the mask. Adding works the same way...

Yup, just had an opportunity to make some tests: both additions and subtractions are very useful for refining the range selections.  The range and auto mask (which I assume is essentially contrast-edge-detection) tools work together quite harmoniously.

Was Adobe really considering the elimination of the auto mask feature altogether?  If so, I'm glad you dissuaded them.  The range masks are a nice supplement to it—but not, I think, a viable replacement.

jrsforums

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »

Yup, just had an opportunity to make some tests: both additions and subtractions are very useful for refining the range selections.  The range and auto mask (which I assume is essentially contrast-edge-detection) tools work together quite harmoniously.

Was Adobe really considering the elimination of the auto mask feature altogether?  If so, I'm glad you dissuaded them.  The range masks are a nice supplement to it—but not, I think, a viable replacement.

Seems to me to be more color edge, where color is based on what is under the ‘+’ and within the brush circle.

Try something with the same color divided by a black or white or different color edge.  As soon as the circle, not the +, covers some of the color on the other side of the edge, the brush effect takes hold.
John

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 09:43:19 pm »

Agree..  Please thank this 'someone' for me too. ;)
And like the person before this, it seems to be color..  I've used that functionality to select sky through trees before, before the range masking.  However, there were times I erased some of those sky areas that became selected - helping to make auto-mask a much needed adjunct to range masking.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Chris Kern

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:44 am »

The range and auto mask (which I assume is essentially contrast-edge-detection) tools work together quite harmoniously.

Seems to me to be more color edge, where color is based on what is under the ‘+’ and within the brush circle.

Good point; I wasn't aware of that.  I just did some testing with both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom 2015.12, and it appears that both color and contrast are used to trigger the brush's edge detection.  Thus also sayeth Schewe:

Quote from: Jeff Schewe, The Digital Negative, Second Edition, p. 139 (paper version)
When you select the Auto Mask option, the mask is generated based on the color and tone of the image area under the center of the cursor when painting is started.  This allows you to paint in an area and automatically have the mask set to the shape of the object you paint into.  The key is to make sure the center mark of the brush cursor remains inside the area where you want the mask to be painted. If you go outside the color area, additional colors or tone will be added to the mask.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 08:07:24 pm »

Thus also sayeth Schewe:
When are we getting that darn like button on this site --  He haseth spoken!  ;D
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!
Pages: [1]   Go Up