Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How these photos changed America  (Read 1980 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
How these photos changed America
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:47:22 am »

Looks like an excellent exhibition.

An exhibition in New York highlights the child labour photos of Lewis Hine that shocked the US.

Courtesy of BBC News. Link.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: How these photos changed America
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:09 am »

Thanks,Tom. Lewis Hine has been one of my heroes for a long time. Not only did he help get child labor laws passed, he was a very fine photographer. Here's one of my favorites -- Danny Mercurio.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:48 pm »

I sometimes wonder about the "reality" of child labour during its time.

It should be plain that this is not to advocate nor to make any particular point about working kids. It's to ask the question: did folks see it differently during its time?

Clearly, practices then are not as today's accepted ways. But there remains a question nobody seems to have paid too much attention to over the years: what else was there for these kids to do? The same remains commonplace in Africa and India, despite legal decisions. It seems to depend on the status of the kids: the poor need every helping hand that isn't broken whilst the better off can think in terms of education. And if prercluded from work but too poor to educate, then are they better off running feral?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:40:09 pm »

I sometimes wonder about the "reality" of child labour during its time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire answers your question pretty easily.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire answers your question pretty easily.

I don't think it addresses it at all, Alan; it simply points out that many people lost ther lives through fire hazards that could easily have been prevented - or so it's assumed - who ever truly knows? Seems it could have been a coming together of uncleared waste and an unlawful cigarette.

There is no special reference I can remember to children.

If you meant that life was lost, of course that's terrible, but adults count just as much as kids, from which you will see that I also have my doubts about the eternal "women and children first!" Why? I imagine it's a matter of pure conditioning. I see no reason for thinking men inferior to women, in the sense of the value of their individual life. Civilization seems to be full of all sorts of unexplained assumptions and beliefs. Is the life of a single child more important than of a single man who might well be father to a whole squadron of children needing his support? Of course, if it's a matter of self-determination, as in will I give my parachute to the woman beside me or keep it for myself, I'd imagine that could be decided by the relationship between the two: a wife, yes, but a stranger?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 06:33:23 pm »

... I also have my doubts about the eternal "women and children first!"...

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »

Nah, Slobo.  Today it would be most people standing around looking at their phones waiting for a Facebook Incident to tell them if they're safe or not.
Phil Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 10:15:07 pm »

Nah, Slobo.  Today it would be most people standing around looking at their phones waiting for a Facebook Incident to tell them if they're safe or not.

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:59 pm »

Yup...
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up