Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange copyright infringement  (Read 2801 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Strange copyright infringement
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »

With how vast the internet is weeding out copyright infringement is very difficult, but here is an example I found this morning:

One of my images here:

Has been stolen by some person and uploaded to a few websites. They have added type on top and also removed my copyright at the bottom and replaced it with their name:

The image appears multiple times on http://www.wishgoodmorning.org/good-morning-nice-image-2/ and also on http://www.desicomments.com/goodmorning/good-morning-1128/

I assume this must happen to everyone on here all the time, but how can one deal with this ? Is it even possible to ?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Strange copyright infringement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:55:55 pm »

1. Ask them to take it down. Some people just do not understand that just because something is on the Internet it isn't freely available to everyone. And some do, but do it anyway. In which case:

2. Ask their ISP to take it down.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 01:25:18 pm »

Ask them to take it down. If they don't do that, use the DMCA takedown process to have the photo removed. You could try invoicing them for their usage and see if you can get them to pay, but not sure it is worth pursuing it as a copyright infringement lawsuit if they won't pay willingly. However, under US law, willful removal of a copyright notice is subject to a significant fine, so that might be an avenue to consider. Would consult an attorney regarding that.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 02:07:35 am »

They can't even spell their own name.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »

I have offered people an amount to license photos they have taken. They have never paid and normally will take it down. I had a local builder here use interior photos we had taken for the new owner on his website and facebook. I offered him an amount to use them and he took them down, then put them back up. I contacted his isp and facebook and both removed the photos. Pretty sleazy on his part.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 11:38:25 am »

I did e-mail the website and it seems like they have taken down the image. No one actually replied to me but now the links no longer work.

Harold Clark

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:37:35 am »

The general public has a very casual attitude regarding use of photos. One of my clients is a magazine that features custom home builders ( million dollar plus ) and the businesses that support them. I frequently receive emails to the effect that someone liked my " nice pictures " in the latest issue, and if I would send them over they would post them on their website. I reply with a price list, and usually don't hear back from them. They would rather post their own hideous snapshots instead, sometimes using them in ads in the same magazine as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up