Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Congratulations! Adobe messes with Lightroom yet again  (Read 4225 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Congratulations! Adobe messes with Lightroom yet again
« on: October 20, 2017, 11:23:49 am »

Adobe truly has a record of never having heard the adage, "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Just witness the morass of Acrobat, which I've used for 20-years (as has my wife, the AD/graphic designer). The greatest lament of anyone who uses Acrobat with any regularity is, "The last really usable version of Acrobat was Acrobat 5".

What does this have to do with Lightroom? Simple. Where they COULD have fixed Lightroom (quicker, less buggy, more responsive tools/adjustment brushes), they've ignored for years. Instead, they shoehorn us into CC. Ok, I bit, and now I use CC for all my Adobe apps. Now, they decide to "split" Lightroom, and in doing so, appear to have crippled both. WTF? Here's a nice chart from Lightroom Classic vs Lightroom CC that nicely summarizes the differences, something I could directly find on Adobe's own website. Additionally, why not obfuscate thing even more by dropping the year description (i.e. - 2015) which they've been pushing for several years to differentiate versions.

I really don't know why companies push so bloody hard to force one "onto the cloud" for their software? The answer is again simple. These companies are located in major urban areas when bandwidth is measured in the hundreds of Mbps, or even Gigabits. For some reason, they assume EVERYONE has this. And that people don't have data caps. (I'm lucky, no data caps at this point compared to an ISP like Comcast or cell phones.) I have crap for connection (8Mbps download, 700Kbps upload), it can be inconsistent, dropping out or slowing down randomly (thank you, CenturyLink), and as a result, don't want to rely on cloud solutions for anything. I've already dropped several companies/software for doing this (Neat, Blinkbid).

So back to Lightroom. You will notice, for some reason, "Searching" is no longer available in the desktop version. I hope that's a misprint, otherwise, which moron software engineer said, "Oh, let's get rid of the search function for the desktop".

So needless to say, I view Lightroom change as not the most positive one; change for the sake of change, not necessarily improvement except for a handful. Finally, I work on dual calibrated, Adobe RGB gamut monitors. Why do I want to edit on my iPad? I'll stay with 2015.12 for a while longer.

Thus endeth my rant.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Congratulations! Adobe messes with Lightroom yet again
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:42:19 am »

change for the sake of change,
No, change for the pursuit of profit.

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:01:54 pm »

No, change for the pursuit of profit.

Agreed! They are more profitable than ever. Absolutely, I agree with making money -- I'm a capitalist pig, having worked for myself for 40-yrs. And I embrace change. But Adobe software was more stable when it was in the 18-month upgrade cycle.

I truly wish I could abandon LR. The reality is, I own four other conversion software. LR works the best for me. (Plus years of working with it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 12:19:14 pm »

Finally, I work on dual calibrated, Adobe RGB gamut monitors. Why do I want to edit on my iPad? I'll stay with 2015.12 for a while longer.
That's yet another thing I don't understand with all the mobile crap..  And beyond calibration, who the hell are these exceptional artists that can edit with their fine-tipped ... gorilla finger?   :o
It's so sad how so many people (and companies) are so utterly concerned with maximizing profits and acquiring wealth, that they forget we are all human beings that are going to die.  I mean, really - how many billions are needed to take with you after you die??  Or your kids, or your kid's kids, etc..  Just sad and pathetic.  ::)
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:25:13 pm »

That's yet another thing I don't understand with all the mobile crap..  And beyond calibration, who the hell are these exceptional artists that can edit with their fine-tipped ... gorilla finger?   :o
It's so sad how so many people (and companies) are so utterly concerned with maximizing profits and acquiring wealth, that they forget we are all human beings that are going to die.  I mean, really - how many billions are needed to take with you after you die??  Or your kids, or your kid's kids, etc..  Just sad and pathetic.  ::)
Agree, regarding the "Magic fingers"! I use a Wacom stylus. I teach a pro level course in Photoshop, LR and fashion as part of an intensive 7 month program of photography. The number of kids who try to do edits with a track pad because they are too cheap to buy a lower level Wacom, much less a mouse, is astounding. I guess these are the future photographers to whom Adobe is marketing "mobile LR".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 12:30:54 pm »

..."The last really usable version of Acrobat was Acrobat 5"...

So, stick with LR 6 then.

Internaut

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:04:03 pm »

It’s the naming they’ve really screwed up.  I quite like the concept of the cloudy/mobile workflow, but getting information on the new Lightroom CC is hard.  Any Google search I do on new Lightroom CC gives me lots of results on Old Lightroom CC AKA the new Lightroom Classic.  On my MacBook, Lightroom Classic is fine, BTW.  Lightroom CC is, OTOH, substantially incomplete but does at least live up to the promise of near seamless working across devices.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »

Nemo (re: the OP) I clicked on your link about Lr Classic vs CC (not an Adobe site) and saw that “search” was indeed unchecked.  But then on the Adobe site a quick reading here https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/finding-photos-catalog.html seemed to indicate that the search functions are unchanged in Lr Classic.  Did I miss a detail?  If “search” is indeed different that would be important to me and perhaps as well to others.

Thanks.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:08 pm »

Well,.. with all due respect,... If Lightroom (whatever current offerings are now available,.... ) if things are not what you expect/want,...   then just  "abandon LR ship" !
Leszek, G

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 05:04:12 am »

Nemo (re: the OP) I clicked on your link about Lr Classic vs CC (not an Adobe site) and saw that “search” was indeed unchecked.  But then on the Adobe site a quick reading here https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/finding-photos-catalog.html seemed to indicate that the search functions are unchanged in Lr Classic.  Did I miss a detail?  If “search” is indeed different that would be important to me and perhaps as well to others.

Fundamentally, search is unchanged in "Classic", though you did miss a detail - there are some extra criteria available in smart collections. Some are related to the lens correction, but the best is that you can now search for whether the Title field is empty or not. This is handy if you want to check that you have added the metadata to all the photos, for example, and I'd only been complaining about its absence since Lr3.

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:56:19 am »

Thank you, John.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:54 am »

One other detail about search is that you can do an AI-powered search in the various LRMobile environments (the new LRCC, LR Web and the iOS / Android apps). This "Sensei" analyses the image content of anything that you have synced to LRMobile, also using any metadata you've entered such as captions, titles, filenames. You can then save the results as a new collection, which will then appear in "Classic".

Before people dismiss this, Sensei can be quite smart. For example, I entered the search term "fighter" and it found a series of photos of WW2 aircraft like Spitfires and Mustangs. This term "fighter" was nowhere in the metadata. The problem was, I had been intending to see if it could find pictures of boxers.... But you can see it was the user that needed training, and the AI was smarter than I had imagined it would be. I still used these results to create a collection and added "fighter" as a keyword. On the other hand, one never feels certain Sensei has found all the pictures one expected, and there are plenty of false positives which make you wonder why they hadn't just bribed a bunch of 10 year olds to keyword the pictures.

If you want to get your keywords from "Classic" into this system, you need to save metadata back to the files before you sync them. Adobe have not enabled syncing of keywords from / to "Classic", something I find very disappointing.

If you don't want to subject your pictures to AI analysis, you can disable it in your account - see https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/machine-learning-faq.html

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:01 am »

Thanks again, John.  As it happens, right now my interest in limited to using Lr on my laptop (no mobile software or cloud storage) and backing up to drives (including switching with drives in a bank vault).

All of your recent contributions as well as those of your similarly experienced participants here have been fascinating as well as helpful in thinking about and perhaps coming to terms with the pace of change in our undertakings.

Admiringly....
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:09 am »

Fundamentally, search is unchanged in "Classic", though you did miss a detail - there are some extra criteria available in smart collections.
Someday, someone at Adobe will figure out that all searches everywhere should be supported. They are not today.
Maybe you can tell us why one can search for a criteria to create a SO but not other kinds of searches within the same application. LR 7 is maybe a bit light for a 2-3 year interval upgrade and someday we'll have full and complete searching everywhere?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 11:45:13 am »

I work in software and it's undeniable that the pace of innovation is increasing and seems somewhat unstoppable. The thing is, as a software company, it's considered a death sentence to just stay in the same place. Someone is always nipping at your heels if you sit in a profitable niche. If you don't continually add features and modernize your interface the industry will leave you behind.
As an engineer it drives me crazy, always tearing out what we created a few cycles ago to put in a shiny new feature that might not be ready for prime time but it's going in anyway because we have a deadline to meet and investors to please.
But this is the monster tech has become.
Of course the motivation is money and Adobe's changes in recent years have generated a lot of it so I doubt we will see the churn settling down anytime soon.
I'm keeping my eyes open for other options for DAM and quick editing. LR6 is a great tool and so far I have not seen anything that tops it, but surely there are projects in the works to pick up the alienated customers from this shift. I'm hopeful something really nice comes out of it (with a perpetual license, Affinity?).
-MattB

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 01:50:57 pm »

I'm keeping my eyes open for other options for DAM and quick editing. LR6 is a great tool and so far I have not seen anything that tops it, but surely there are projects in the works to pick up the alienated customers from this shift. I'm hopeful something really nice comes out of it (with a perpetual license, Affinity?).
Yes, Affinity is working on a DAM program but I don't think it will be available until next year.  This is fine with me as LR6 perpetual supports my camera and I can afford the wait.  We'll see if they come up with something along the lines of Affinity Photo that is really a true competitor to Adobe.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:11 pm »

Yes, Affinity is working on a DAM program but I don't think it will be available until next year.  This is fine with me as LR6 perpetual supports my camera and I can afford the wait.  We'll see if they come up with something along the lines of Affinity Photo that is really a true competitor to Adobe.

Right. As long as I don't get the latest new camera I'm safe too.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up