Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Issues and Questions  (Read 13743 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom Issues and Questions
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 10:46:34 am »

Does installing Classic remove LR 2015?  If so, is there a way to install classic to test and retain LR 2015, or does installing Classic also remove 2015 preferences and settings etc.

By default
, the CC app does remove LR2015. But look for its option to retain the previous version. That now seems standard with all apps, PS for example.

Installing copies the earlier preferences. So that's not as annoying.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 11:36:25 am »

Does installing Classic remove LR 2015?  If so, is there a way to install classic to test and retain LR 2015, or does installing Classic also remove 2015 preferences and settings etc.

On Classic installation, you can choose whether or not to retain the old version.

Jim

Rand47

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »

I must say, I am a little disappointed in the new Lightroom Classic: after hearing how it was going to be so much quicker, it seems to me that the Spot Removal Tool has slowed down... and loading images in the Develop Module does not seem to have improved either.

Just to add a data point, on my Windows 10 machine everything is MUCH faster.  And, for the first time I can turn on GPU option and actually see an improvement in speed rather than a slow-down.  (W-10, i7700K, 64 GB RAM, dual SSDs)

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:38 pm »

I am a bear of little brain, but have been a user of LR from LR2, and am very happy with LR6 on my w10, I7 PC with 8GB internal.  My internet rate is not fast as we have no fibre to house here.  I tell people I know who are potential new purchasers that I like LR because it is easy to use.  Just remember to move folders in LR not in Windows or you will have to find them in LR.  This thread seems to be populated by expert users, yet to me there are important questions that are being asked.  If this is all indicative of what is being asked, how will new users get on?  Adobe may be trying to convert existing users, but what about capturing new users that do not want a daunting start-up experience? 

Jonathan

PS Rightly or wrongly, I have been told that if you lose your cloud password, or it gets corrupted, you will never get the files back.  That is why I am wary of the cloud, but then I could be like the old Guinness saying, 'I have never drunk it, 'cos I don't like it'!

Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 07:08:23 pm »

John, first I want to thank you for graciously answering all the questions here.  You're a huge help and I wish LuLa had a way for us to nominate you for a LuLa Hero award.   ;)

As someone with north of 5TB of photos on my redundant storage I fail to grok how how LrCC fits anyone but newbies or the mobile crowd.  Please don't take that to mean I don't use Lr Mobile on my iPad.  I do and I truly appreciate what I can do with it.  Syncing small projects back and forth to Lr desktop is a boon. I shudder to think what it would take for LrCC to consume all my photos to the cloud and how much they'd change for that amount of storage. 

I'm going with your recommendation to stick with Lr Classic.  Maybe in the next 2-3 years Adobe will have a more cogent story and product for LrCC.
Regards,
Ron

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 08:51:24 pm »

Thanks. I installed the new version without removing the old version so I could run a few comparisons.

creating 31 1:1 previews from IQ3 100, 2:56 with LRC, Create 1:1 previews from the same IQ3 100 files with LR2015, 4:33.

So far seems a little more responsive.

Losing the "tool" if zooming in still there.  I tried some range mask changes, and when I zoomed in, I lost the ability to select using the tool, and just had the hand grabber. All I could do was zoom in and out and drag the image around when zoomed in.  I had to turn off the brush tool, turn it back on and reselect the brush to get the selector tool back.  This oddity has been a problem with several tools for a long time, such as the TAT tool when making HSL adjustments, or with the brush and graduated filter tool.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 08:55:35 pm »

If so, is there a way to install classic to test and retain LR 2015

By default, the CC app does remove LR2015. But look for its option to retain the previous version.

If you're going to be running both versions in parallel for some time, it probably would be advisable to assign different catalog locations to them.  Not because it's necessary to isolate the default catalogs—they will be assigned different filenames if you choose to keep both revs of the application—but because the back-up catalogs from both versions will otherwise be stored in the same subdirectory and LR 6/2015 cannot parse the new catalog file format.

jeyell

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

As former techno fundamentalist I hit those 'update' buttons much later than I used to. Has anyone been through the print toolchain in Lightroom CC Vintage and noticed changes in options or output? I like to tread a well worn predictable path, but there are so many changes this year - Mac OS, printer drivers and now print apps themselves. Currently on Low Sierra 10.12 and mature Canon drivers until the blood gushing through forums calm to a stream.

Rand47

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 10:30:31 am »

As former techno fundamentalist I hit those 'update' buttons much later than I used to. Has anyone been through the print toolchain in Lightroom CC Vintage and noticed changes in options or output? I like to tread a well worn predictable path, but there are so many changes this year - Mac OS, printer drivers and now print apps themselves. Currently on Low Sierra 10.12 and mature Canon drivers until the blood gushing through forums calm to a stream.

I’m Windows PC, but LR Classic print module is working fine.  Printed standard evaluation images and compared with previous prints.  Exact matches.  Epson printers.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:50 pm »

Well, I’m really not seeing these performance improvements. If anything it is worse - I’m getting a thing now where, going into develop, I just get a grey canvas for 10 seconds or so. Not even a low res image. Not always, but quite frequently. This is new, I never had it with Lr CC 2015. And most of my files are not challenging, just 16Mpix ORFs.   This on a Mac Pro 2013 with 32Gb RAM.
--
David Mantripp

JoachimStrobel

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »

It took me a while to turn this upgrades into something good, but I am there now:
I upgrade to CCCL and sync my photos to the cloud. These smart previews are then visible in CC. As a reward I now get folders and sub folder and can organize the synced collections neatly (but they cheat: Smart previews are counted and taken from the initial 20Gbyte).
For me the cloud is for screenviewing of photos and for my 2k screens smart previews are good enough (an upgrade for 4K screens would be good). Because CC uploads everything before I have a chance to select keepers, and it uploads JPEG's and Raws, it can not be meant as storage, also because they charge per month what others charge per year for storage.
Now, videos I upload directly with CC (either from the hd or from an exported collection). That gives me videos in the cloud with ease.
An upside will be quick sharing of photos uploaded directly with CC before they get worked at with CCCL and synced for good again.
So this is not that bad after all.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 07:53:20 pm »

Well, I’m really not seeing these performance improvements. If anything it is worse - I’m getting a thing now where, going into develop, I just get a grey canvas for 10 seconds or so. Not even a low res image. Not always, but quite frequently. This is new, I never had it with Lr CC 2015. And most of my files are not challenging, just 16Mpix ORFs.   This on a Mac Pro 2013 with 32Gb RAM.

I had a similar experience in Classic for a while after I first converted the catalog..  Each change would also take about 30 seconds to show up.  After I left it running untouched for a while (maybe overnight?), it was then relatively quick - despite me still being affected by the AMD GPU problems since 2015.10.1.  My guess is that it might have been doing 'background' housekeeping after the conversion.

Speaking about that, does anyone know anything about when that AMD GPU issue might be resolved??

(laptop with Win10 AMD A8-3500M APU w/ HD6620G integrated graphics)
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Internaut

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 01:48:14 pm »

Removes it.  As much as I intend to embrace the new software (including a parallel cloudy/mobile workflow), I regret not spending some quality time with time capsule first!

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 02:14:22 pm »

Removes it.  As much as I intend to embrace the new software (including a parallel cloudy/mobile workflow), I regret not spending some quality time with time capsule first!

There is an option to retain it.  And in any case, just like previous major upgrades, it doesn't remove your prior LR6/2015 catalog at all - it only upgrades and makes a new catalog file with a "{name}-2" extension -- nor does it delete your old preferences and settings.

More here: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121181.0
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:19:06 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 03:28:48 pm »

Even if you did not check the option to retain the old version, you can reinstall it. The only thing you will not be able to do with the previous version is to use a catalog converted to the new version, so make sure you keep your old catalog backups and don't do important work until you have decided which version to keep

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 07:25:41 pm »

Sometimes I get this happening. Panels left and right, info on top and bottom of image window, it all goes black. I click in the area where the panels usually are, right or left, and it all comes back. Is this a known issue? It started happening in the version just before 'classic'. It is still happening after I did the update.

thanks
M

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 09:46:59 pm »

Sometimes I get this happening. Panels left and right, info on top and bottom of image window, it all goes black.

This is a longstanding problem, which was reported to Adobe last year.  Adobe and Apple supposedly are attempting to resolve it.  (Scroll down to the bottom of the comments at the link above for the latest.)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 03:24:28 am »

This is a longstanding problem, which was reported to Adobe last year.  Adobe and Apple supposedly are attempting to resolve it.  (Scroll down to the bottom of the comments at the link above for the latest.)

Aaha! Thanks, Chris. I'll bookmark the link you provide.

M.

robcrandall2

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »

Problem Upgrading LR Catalogue, after upgrading to LR Classic CC.

On MacPro, I've just upgraded Mac OS to High Sierra. Restarted, upgraded apps, then downloaded/installed LR CLASSIC CC. When I launch the new version of LR, the "Catalogue Upgrade" stalls. After 30 minutes it quits. Progress bar never advances. Tried multiple times.

My "LightroomCC_Catalogue Previews.lrdata" is 900GB. Is that too large? My LR library and catalogue live on a 6TB drive (plenty of room).

Thanks for all help.

Rob

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2018, 04:34:50 am »

Does anyone know, please?  I have been running Lightroom successfully from v2 and am now on 6.14.  Suddenly it stopped displaying the library in a random way.  Some images were there in the grid view and many not, but quite random.  Those that were not there were listed as missing.  I sat down this morning to try to sort it, but just as suddenly the images are appearing, albeit very, very, slowly and often only if I hover over the blank tiles.  It is all quite random.

Is there a way of getting the images in the library to show with their previous speed?

I have a catalog with just over 23,000 images, and have a PC with 8Gb RAM, and i7 processor, and a 7200 HD of 2TB with plenty of space.  I back up both the catalog and my PC's HD to a separate HD that is connected, but have the older images archived to other HDs.  Obviously if I want to do anything with the older images I hitch up the relevant HD.  Up until this week all images in the catalog have displayed quickly on starting LR.

Puzzled Jonathan

Jonathan in UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up