Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The great news...  (Read 10522 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The great news...
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 09:03:05 am »

Unless I misunderstood something, I don't think that's true. I believe users of perpetually licensed LR6.x continue to have full functionality of the current version for as long as they want, but yes, it will become dated.
There is one glitch to this that I thought about last evening.  Yes, you do have a perpetual license to LR6 but say your computer crashes and you did not have a system image (bad practice of course).  You need to do a fresh install of LR6.  You download the new installation file (or if you are lucky you maybe had it on a backup drive as I do.  You do the installation but now it does not update to the most recent ACR that is needed to support all the cameras added since LR6 was introduced.  You are now officially screwed if you have a newer camera.  By the end of the year Adobe is not required to support LR6 any longer and newer versions of ACR are incompatible with LR6.  Of course this is conjecture but the chances of it happening are not zero and could be high as Adobe wants people onto the subscription mode.

I would urge anyone who plans on using LR6 after support ends to make sure you have a system image of your OS!!!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 09:16:11 am »

Hi,

If you have an old license, with no support, you are stuck. That is the problem with perpetual licenses. That don't live forever.

If LR dies, it may be possible that someone will replace it's functionality.

Adobe has built a path for raw image compatiblity, with DNG and DCP profiles. It may be it is not the optimal way, but it is probably the best way we have, as it is almost fully documented.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 09:16:59 am »

You are now officially screwed if you have a newer camera.

I would urge anyone who plans on using LR6 after support ends to make sure you have a system image of your OS!!!

You can download older versions of apps from Adobe's CC App.

For newer cameras, use the DNG Converter to edit the photos in LR1-6. Can you name any other raw conversion software that allows you to import newer raw formats into old versions of the program?

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:17 am »

You can download older versions of apps from Adobe's CC App.

For newer cameras, use the DNG Converter to edit the photos in LR1-6. Can you name any other raw conversion software that allows you to import newer raw formats into old versions of the program?
John, you are missing the point.  Of course you can download the software and I've done this for new workstation builds on two occasions.  What is unclear is whether any of the Version updates will still be available and automatically download.  Adobe is in no way required to provide those once support for LR6 is ended.

Yes, one can convert to DNG but I, as with many others, want to keep my Nikon NEF files and rely on LR to be able to read those.  Also, I'm not talking about using newer raw formats; Adobe has been very clear on that one.  My point is that "if" I had a Nikon D850 and had the latest update from Adobe that supports it I am OK but if my SSD with the OS and programs fails sometime next year after support for LR6 has ended I "might" be out of luck if the fresh install of LR6 does not properly update to include that camera.  I hope this is clear.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 09:53:10 am »

With every software vendor, it is equally "unclear" if you would always be able to download the software you bought. Adobe's no better or worse. The evidence is all we can go on, and you can download earlier versions of LR back to version 1. I just checked.

With any other software, Alan, you are completely "screwed" (your word) if your camera is newer. You might not want to convert to DNG, but it means you're only half-screwed with Adobe.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 10:12:07 am »

What is unclear is whether any of the Version updates will still be available and automatically download.
If you're worried just download the update patch file now and keep it safe.
I really don't see any need for concern.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 10:25:04 am »

There is one glitch to this that I thought about last evening.  Yes, you do have a perpetual license to LR6 but say your computer crashes and you did not have a system image (bad practice of course).  You need to do a fresh install of LR6.  You download the new installation file (or if you are lucky you maybe had it on a backup drive as I do.  You do the installation but now it does not update to the most recent ACR that is needed to support all the cameras added since LR6 was introduced.  You are now officially screwed if you have a newer camera.  By the end of the year Adobe is not required to support LR6 any longer and newer versions of ACR are incompatible with LR6.  Of course this is conjecture but the chances of it happening are not zero and could be high as Adobe wants people onto the subscription mode.

The download for the initial LR CC 2015/ 6.0 is still available online and the Latest update patch 2015.12 /6.12 is also available. Version 2015.13 / 6.13 patch should be available soon. However I believe you will need to have an internet connection to access your Adobe account to activate the installation and your license key/ keys of course. Remember only 2 active installations are permitted at any point in time. Deactivate from one to Activate on another.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 10:48:11 am »

Not exactly... it will take many years, but at some point, a Windows or Mac OS update will make LR6 not to work... and you will have to balance between keeping an not updated unsecure OS or migrate your Lightroom catalogue to other app

http://dgpfotografia.com

Yes, I agree - it's the risk of using legacy software. I have had it happen to me, thanks to X-Rite. Lesson learned: one can keep it till it no longer serves a need or no longer works, but at some point up-dating becomes unavoidable.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 10:51:56 am »

Sure - Adobe has no obligation to provide ACR updates to discontinued software and I think the chances of some critical element of this scenario happening are MUCH greater than zero.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 10:55:58 am »

With every software vendor, it is equally "unclear" if you would always be able to download the software you bought. Adobe's no better or worse. The evidence is all we can go on, and you can download earlier versions of LR back to version 1. I just checked.

With any other software, Alan, you are completely "screwed" (your word) if your camera is newer. You might not want to convert to DNG, but it means you're only half-screwed with Adobe.

Yup, the DNG option is always there, a nuisance, but a way out of an otherwise sticky-wicket - unless of course one up-graded and paid.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 10:59:23 am »

Remember only 2 active installations are permitted at any point in time. Deactivate from one to Activate on another.

Denis - is it not the case that one can install on more than two computers, but one is only allowed to use 2 at the same time?

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 11:34:23 am »

I wonder if we could get this forum split into „arguing about Adobe commercial policies“ and „discussion on actually using Lightroom“ ? Or are we all ok that every single topic is now destined to end up here?
--
David Mantripp

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 11:47:22 am »

Denis - is it not the case that one can install on more than two computers, but one is only allowed to use 2 at the same time?

That's why I said active installations. LR 6 requires activation for it to function not closed. Yes you have ten or more installations but only two activated.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 11:54:59 am »

I wonder if we could get this forum split into „arguing about Adobe commercial policies“ and „discussion on actually using Lightroom“ ? Or are we all ok that every single topic is now destined to end up here?
That's why Kevin started a topic trying to gather discussion of functional issues all in one place. http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121124.0

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:55 am »

That's why I said active installations. LR 6 requires activation for it to function not closed. Yes you have ten or more installations but only two activated.

Thanks for confirming, that's what I thought. For example, I have two installed and activated - one desk top, one laptop. If I wanted to use it on a third computer, is it the case that I would have to actually de-activate one of the others, or is it sufficient that it just remain closed while I am using the third one? I think I know the answer and I'm not going to like it, but just want to double check, if you know.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 11:58:25 am »

If you're worried just download the update patch file now and keep it safe.
I really don't see any need for concern.
I'm not worried as I always have an up to date system image.  It was more to alert other uses of LR6 that they need to make such provisions.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »

I'm not worried as I always have an up to date system image.
Not much use if you need to install it on a new system.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 12:47:27 pm »

Not much use if you need to install it on a new system.
I you are talking about a new OS that is true but if you are talking about a new computer, the answer is false.  I have a bootable USB stick that allows me to transfer everything to a new machine if that were necessary.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:49 pm »

...arguing about Adobe commercial policies...

Careful, you'll end up getting debate of Adobe's policies banned from LuLa...the LuLa snowflakes don't like controversies.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 05:45:51 pm »

Careful, you'll end up getting debate of Adobe's policies banned from LuLa...the LuLa snowflakes don't like controversies.

I don't know who these snowflakes are (one can guess - ha ha Jeff) and I'm assuming this is humour, but just in case, I'd jsimply point out that this website has seen several rather warm discussions in the past of Adobe commercial policies every time the issue of renting software has come up and I kind of think there is nothing new to say about this. We've heard all the arguments, said what we can and the policy is the policy - Adobe's to determine and the market to judge. My understanding of LuLa policy is that no such discussion would be locked as long as it remains civil. I think David's intention is that there is value to the idea of keeping commercial policies and technical issues in separate threads so people more interested in the one or other can conveniently participate in one place of their choosing. I think this is the way to go, and it is why Kevin started the thread I referenced above.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up