Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where was LULA on the LR Release?  (Read 9004 times)

Rand47

Where was LULA on the LR Release?
« on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:51 pm »

I don’t want to sound negative.  I love LULA, and deeply appreciate Kevin and Chris’ efforts.  But there was a time when LULA would have been “all over” the LR Classic release, the differences between the the CC Cloud version and the Classic version, the new tools and what they do, etc.

Thankfully there are astute members here that are discussing these things ... but . . .   I miss the “inside info and insight” of days gone by.

Not grumpy... just wistful.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Where was LULA on the LR Release?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:27:59 pm »

We heard about this at the same time you did.  No insider info.  Not even for those in the know.  I was prepping an article then the forum lit up.  Hard to be on top of news if the news isn't shared by Adobe.  Not even a press release.  I'll be with Jeff Schewe in a week and we'll do a sit-down discussion on video about this and share it.  We will also be looking into doing a ground-up tutorial.  As it is now I will most likely have a rant on this topic.  Frankly the more I try to understand things on this release the more I get confused. Lots of alternatives and a lot of people looking from what I have heard.  MacPhun hit the airwaves today with a future announcement.  Phase One and Capture One are a worthy alternative.  I was in Copenhagen a few weeks ago doing videos on the new back and camera features and I know there are a lot of people there working on Capture One.

If Adobe would have shared with us we would have shared with you.  There are some things coming soon that we are on top of.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:35:24 pm »

We heard about this at the same time you did.  No insider info.  Not even for those in the know.  I was prepping an article then the forum lit up.  Hard to be on top of news if the news isn't shared by Adobe.  Not even a press release.  I'll be with Jeff Schewe in a week and we'll do a sit-down discussion on video about this and share it.  We will also be looking into doing a ground-up tutorial.  As it is now I will most likely have a rant on this topic.  Frankly the more I try to understand things on this release the more I get confused. Lots of alternatives and a lot of people looking from what I have heard.  MacPhun hit the airwaves today with a future announcement.  Phase One and Capture One are a worthy alternative.  I was in Copenhagen a few weeks ago doing videos on the new back and camera features and I know there are a lot of people there working on Capture One.

If Adobe would have shared with us we would have shared with you.  There are some things coming soon that we are on top of.

Kevin,

WOW... Adobe’s really acting strange if they don’t recognize LULA as “someone” who should be in the know on stuff like this.  I agree with you... I’m scratching my head.  I withdraw my “wistfulness” in light of you guys being blind-sided by Adobe on this one...   This isn’t an encouraging sign, IMO, re the trustworthiness, direction, and dedication to “photographers” of Adobe moving forward. 

On a different, but related in my mind, subject - have you tried X-Transformer plug-in for your RAF Fuji files?  I thought it was hype until I tried it.  If an individual can come up with this processing for the X-Trans files on his own, what the heck has Adobe been doing?  LR is “better than it was” re RAF, but the X-Transforer files are clearly superior.

Anyway, look forward to your rant!

Thanks,
Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »

Rand,
For me C1 has been really good at handling the Fuji X files.  There are a number of engineers at Phase One who have Fuji cameras and thus they work hard to make the software work for them and us.  The newest version of C1 handles masking for Fuji files. This feature makes working with Fuji files real strong.  You can auto mask and do layered adjustments.  I have also come up with a few C1 sharpening settings that work well the files too.  I have tried the others RAW processors but I need the whole system for the kins of work I do and C1 is the go to app I use. 

I also use Lightroom a lot too for Leica files and files not supported in Capture One so I am pretty good with LR too.  As I said I am still trying to wrap my head around having 2 versions of LR on my computer.  I have loaded the mobile apps on my ipads and it does work.  Just seems to be a lot of limitations compared to the classic version.  Frankly, as much as I depend on the cloud I will have a hard time using it for my images.  For many places landscape shooters photograph, there is usually not good internet connections.  And, we won't even discuss using cellular on an international plan to upload to the cloud. 

Whoops, started to get on my soapbox a bit. 

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:51 am »

Look forward to seeing your discussion with Jeff Schewe, been a long time since we last heard his thoughts on ... well anything in fact.

Also amazed that you were out of Adobe's loop as a few other websites had quite detailed information online very quickly so they surely must have had something already prepared ?

LeonD

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:35:34 am »

I also use Lightroom a lot too for Leica files and files not supported in Capture One so I am pretty good with LR too.   

I'm a Nikon/Olympus/Fuji user who's a newish convert to CaptureOne.  I'm 95% committed to shutting down Lightroom.  I'm liking how CO works with my files.  But the last 5% has to do with DAM.

Anyways, if you have time, I'd appreciate your comparison between the two.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:03 am »

Typically what happens with other camera and software companies the press and sites like ours are provided press releases with information as well as links to try the software early.  As expected we are under embargo and sometimes some very tight NDAs.  This gives us a chance to prep anything we may want to publish.  It's not uncommon too to be invited to a press event where you can touch and feel the products.  There was no such thing coming from Adobe to us.  Not sure it went to others either.  Maybe they didn't really want to publicize the release.  They certainly have caused a lot of confusion for many not to mention discussions like here on this forum.

On the day and time of the release, I was pinned under an MRI machine and out of the loop for a few hours.  I get back to my car and look at the site and new info and the release was all over the place.  Wow, I knew Adobe MAX was happening and I heard (rumors and chatter) that there was not a lot new with LL except some speed increases.  Technicaly I suppose that was accurate.  Yes, the new masking feature is nice but that's about it except for speed increases.  Frankly, not a lot of big news and the speed increase was way overdue.  The news was the cloud base approach to LR and how the Legacy LR (if I can call it that) would be handled.

I am still trying out the new cloud-based service.  Not that impressed.  It crashed twice on the MAC and on the iPad there isn't even a histogram I could find.  It's not that fast.  I am now importing all the images I shot with Leicas over the last month (DNGS) onto the cloud.  I'll try editing both on MAC and iPad. But where's my histogram?

I travel to many remote places like many of you do and fight internet connections at hotels and elsewhere on a continual basis.  As a result, I most likely won't put a lot of weight into loading my images to the cloud. hat feature I think will be saved for the Instagram crowd.

There are a number of alternatives out there if one is frustrated with Adobe. I really want to like LR but I am closely watching what some of these newer companies are doing.  MacPhun was quick to the draw releasing news about their upcoming product and it sounds exciting.  They have proven themselves with Luminar and their HDR programs.  Plus they are constantly updating them.  They have replaced the NIK plugins for the most part for me.  Pixelmator has an exciting new program about to be released which looks like it will be a Photoshop replacement.  And, as many of you know Affinity has a nice program out too.  Plus, Phase One and Capture One has a program many Pros and enthusiasts are using more and more.  It offers a new processing engine with almost every release and some really powerful tools in a customizable interface.  It's super fast.  It it is weak on the printing side, but for me, I output as a tiff and take it over to Imageprint as I have explained in previous articles.

I pay Adobe over 53.00 a month for the whole suite of apps.  I can only use them on two machines.  I have yet to find a way to add seats but even if I could I am sure it would come at a cost. I am constantly having to sign off of a machine and log in on another to use the programs.

Just some thoughts for now.  After all the good topics in the forum I decided to pass on publsihing anything.  Thanks Adobe for the heads up (not).

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 11:09:24 am »

Where's the histogram? Try printing, Kevin.... ;)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:16:39 am »

John,  Let's add that to the list unless it is cleverly hidden. Snapseed seems to have more to offer than LR Mobile.  I hate to be negative but without a histogram how could I even begin to edit an image.  No levels, no printing. I'll spend some more time on the iPad version to make sure I am not missing anything.  I will spend some time later on the cloud-based LR on my mac but so far the iPad version is not impressing me.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 11:19:09 am »

John,  Let's add that to the list unless it is cleverly hidden. Snapseed seems to have more to offer than LR Mobile.  I hate to be negative but without a histogram how could I even begin to edit an image.  No levels, no printing. I'll spend some more time on the iPad version to make sure I am not missing anything.  I will spend some time later on the cloud-based LR on my mac but so far the iPad version is not impressing me.

I like John's comment in one of the other threads: Think of LRCC as LR Mobile for your Mac/PC. Given the current feature list, that seems pretty accurate.

Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:45:12 am »

Though David rightly mentions my comparison with LRM, in this thread I was only talking about LRCC, the new PC/Mac app, Kevin. Just so no-one's confused, including me....

I would describe LRCC as being both "dumbed-down" and "feature-incomplete". Some features fall into the first category, like the keywording and much of the metadata side where there is the bare minimum - not even colour labels. I just don't believe these features will be any less dumbed-down in the future. On the "feature-incomplete" side things will probably come, and I would suggest that includes printing, batch editing, and anything from Adobe Camera Raw like histogram, tone curves, split toning etc. Adobe never seems happier than when it's wrapping another UI around ACR.....

thierrylegros396

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:10:40 pm »

Kevin,

When I see the number of tread opened recently that complain about the disappearance of the perpetual license, I think that a lot of people still want to have that kind of product.

OK, C1 can import LR catalogs, but not the settings you've made.

More, what about the useful camera calibration?!

I'm very deceived, and it's because of money problems.

Hope you'll have some constructive conversation with Adobe crew soon.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 01:08:30 pm »

When I see the number of tread opened recently that complain about the disappearance of the perpetual license, I think that a lot of people still want to have that kind of product.

OK, C1 can import LR catalogs, but not the settings you've made.
Yep, I certainly can't be the only one that looked at perpetual as a comfort for if I ever decide to stop subscription, or far more likely stop being able to afford it.  And I'm in no way interested in the mere stoppage of develop and map modules - or even import for that matter.  It was a comfort to know I'm not locked in.  I just don't think I'm the only one in that boat.  A boat of serious amateur/hobbyists (and likely some professionals, too).

Capture one is getting there, although the speed of the catalog is but one major stumbling block for me.  There are many others for me, but...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:17:26 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

BAB

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 03:07:40 pm »

the healing brush in PS CC is really slow now!
LR CC classic is also slow now with the brush and moving files to a catolouge

Is anyone having the same issues if not do I have to Kick my MB pro to get it to move faster?

Thanks
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »

Where's the histogram? Try printing, Kevin.... ;)
Histogram can be switched on by selecting the 3 little dots at top right and turning on in the pop up that appears.

Dave

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 07:52:50 pm »

the healing brush in PS CC is really slow now!
LR CC classic is also slow now with the brush and moving files to a catolouge

Is anyone having the same issues if not do I have to Kick my MB pro to get it to move faster?
I haven't checked PS as I don't really use it..  But LR Classic (LR-c) is super slow on my machine.  Part of that may due to an [apparently] ongoing known issue with AMD and GPU acceleration that was introduced at 2015.10.1, which I needed to revert back to 2015.10 in order to keep using it here (rather significant speedup on my laptop for the areas it was supposed to speedup).  I couldn't find release notes for LR-c, but it's obviously still not fixed.  (Win10 AMD A8-3500M APU, w/HD6620G graphics onboard)

However, having said that, LR-c is several order of magnitude slower than 2015.10.1 - 2015.12, with all having the disabled GPU acceleration.  Having done a tad more tests on an HDR using smart preview proxy, not zoomed in - an example is a change done with 2105.12 that may have taken about 3 or so seconds, now takes about 30 seconds on the same image.  Unfortunately I had the installer remove 2015.10, but obviously at this speed, LR-c is for all intents and purposes useless.  I may have to finally break down and reinstall 2015.10 again at this rate, but I'm kinda into other things for the time being.  It's really unfortunate because I really wanted to test more of the worthwhile range masks that finally made it into LR - it's akin to being able to brush out grads/rads with 2015.x, but should be FAR better if I could test it more.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »

Thanks, Dave, cleverly hidden.  Not a very good histogram though. But at least I can see clipping now.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 11:45:50 am »

Am I getting terminally confused, or has „Lightroom Mobile“ now morphed into „Adobe Lightroom CC“ for iPad? This seems to have happened when I updated LRM from the App Store. And LRM certainly had a histogram, which seems to have vanished.

Actually I don‘t really care personally, I don’t use LRM to retouch but rather to edit and refine collections away from the computer. I find that to be a really nice feature, but it relies on the now old sync mechanism. Obviously it would be even better if LRM had decent Library functions, but that sure isn’t going to happen now.

The other thing that puzzles me about ”Adobe Lightroom CC“ for iPad is that it now announces that I am using 0 out of 20Gb ... so where are my sync’d Smart Previews stored?

Adobe must have bought Consultants in to manage make it this complicated and confusing...
--
David Mantripp

adias

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »

We heard about this at the same time you did.  No insider info.

I guess that says it all. Other sites were in, LuLa was/is not.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 01:04:12 pm »

I guess that says it all. Other sites were in, LuLa was/is not.

It says little. Some sites were in, some were not, and it may be that Kevin's old links to PhaseOne didn't help Lula. Also, Adobe experienced lots of leaks this time - some accidental, some from Adobe's own support, others from beta testers. All that may have made them reluctant to open up any more.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up