Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

De curling Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta

(1/3) > >>

pearlstreet:
I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'm trying to decurl this paper and it is impossible for me. Does anybody do this successfully? It crimps very easily and trying to flatten it for several days under a heavy weight leaves so much curl, I'm getting head strikes coming and going. grrr.

Alan Goldhammer:
I share your pain!!  I haven't found a Hahnemuhle paper (I use several of their matte papers) yet that doesn't suffer from that same problem (mostly use 13x19 inch cut sheets).  The only thing to suggest which is what I do is to reverse roll it onto a cardboard mailing tube (mine are 4 inches in diameter) with a sheet of archival paper over the surface.  You need to do various timings to see what works out best.  In terms of gloss surface papers, I've found that Museo Silver Rag has the least curl.  they company has new owners now and I don't know whether newer batches of paper are still curl resistant.  Unfortunately it is a warm paper and not Baryta.

pearlstreet:
Alan, I've tried the tube method but this paper creases so easily. I'm pretty discouraged.

Panagiotis:
I have a Canon PRO-1000 (which doesn't have a roll option) and I print exclusively on cut sheet from rolls. I don't use this paper you mention but I use other stiff papers and I find it difficult to decurl single sheets. It's much easier to decurl 2-3 meters from a roll and cut it later in sheets. The cut pieces are perfectly flat then. I use mailing tubes and thick tablecloth (which is like canvas). I place 50cm of the beginning of the roll paper between 2 pieces of tablecloth 1 meter each. I start to wrap the tablecloth around the mailing tube, first the part without the paper inside and then gently the start of the paper. After the 2 first rounds I pull the paper from it's box gently on a long table as I continue wrapping for 2-3 or more meters. I let it rest for a day and then I unwrap it and cut it on a cut mat. If there is negative curl I place on the cut sheets a heavy cutting mat for a while to flatten them. It sounds complicated but it's not if you practice it. I printed 4-5 50ft roll with this method. Hope that helps.

Czornyj:
use heat
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=73138.msg588421#msg588421

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version