Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2018  (Read 4654 times)

rasworth

Lightroom CC 2018
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:19:04 pm »

I dutifully downloaded and installed the Bridge, Photoshop, and Lightroom (now) Classic updates, checked them out, all seemed ok.  Next out of curiosity I installed the new Lightroom CC, trying to understand what Adobe was doing.  First thing I noticed was it is a dead ringer for Lightroom Mobile on my iPad, i.e. very stripped down functionality as compared to LR Classic.  Ok, I thought, maybe makes sense for somebody with lesser editing needs, but then I noticed no print capability.

So today at least one can pay $10/month for a simple image editor (give it credit, does do raw) and 1TB of storage, but no print capability included!  I realize we're in a brave new world, but this seems to me to be quite a stretch.

Qimage should benefit.

Richard Southworth

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: Lightroom CC 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:15:32 pm »

I dutifully downloaded and installed the Bridge, Photoshop, and Lightroom (now) Classic updates, checked them out, all seemed ok.  Next out of curiosity I installed the new Lightroom CC, trying to understand what Adobe was doing.  First thing I noticed was it is a dead ringer for Lightroom Mobile on my iPad, i.e. very stripped down functionality as compared to LR Classic.  Ok, I thought, maybe makes sense for somebody with lesser editing needs, but then I noticed no print capability.

So today at least one can pay $10/month for a simple image editor (give it credit, does do raw) and 1TB of storage, but no print capability included!  I realize we're in a brave new world, but this seems to me to be quite a stretch.

Qimage should benefit.

Richard Southworth

You can look at it like this.  Most cloud storage plan are around $10 per month for 1TB.  Adobe is giving you the LR CC for free!

rasworth

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:18 pm »

Too expensive just for storage, Amazon charges me $5/mo. for 1TB.

Richard Southworth

rasworth

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:08:38 pm »

Also noticed "Edit in Photoshop" is greyed out in little Lightroom, works ok from the grown-up version.  Not of particular importance to me, just trying to figure out if something is wrong with my configuration or it's a global issue.

Richard Southworth

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:18:57 pm »

First thing I noticed was it is a dead ringer for Lightroom Mobile on my iPad

Yup.

Qimage should benefit.

No way. LRCC's target market would have kittens if asked to use Qimage! As well as being "stripped down", LRCC is feature incomplete - Adobe will add some features. Maybe print will be a priority? 

rasworth

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:41:11 pm »

I meant the Qimage comment to be tongue in cheek.

I was able to enable "edit in photoshop" in little LR, unfortunately can't say how, deleted one of my test images and suddenly the command was no longer greyed out.

The image shows up in PS as name.tiff.  It did pick up 16 bits / Pro Photo from the camera raw preferences, so I guess it's reasonable.  In regular LR "edit in PS" produces a .psd file.

Ok, that's enough playing around with a semi-useless program, now it's a waiting game to see where it goes.

Richard Southworth

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »

Ok, that's enough playing around with a semi-useless program, now it's a waiting game to see where it goes.

The only use I have found for it is as a sort of LR Mobile on my laptop, or as a substitute for using LR Web on it. Where I would suggest you look is at the changes in LR Web, and at Spark and Portfolio. A few good improvements have gone into those areas.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »

There are a huge number of people who never print.  All their images go online.
Phil Brown

Doug Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 07:34:52 pm »

There are a huge number of people who never print.  All their images go online.

I wonder if sales of printers and prints have been declining or rather, how much?

hogloff

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »

I wonder if sales of printers and prints have been declining or rather, how much?

I'm not sure printer sales are declining...there is just tons more people taking photos ( iphones ) and just posting onto the net.

rasworth

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:11 pm »

Let's look at <Lightroom CC 2018 / Lightroom Mobile / Lightroom On the Web> in the context of "All their images go online".  As far as I can determine none of these include resizing in their toolkit.  So one is stuck with publishing a large jpeg, rather than something at 1000 pixels or so on the long side.  I crank a large percentage of my images thru ACR or LR without ever considering printing, but I do insist on keeping the size down to something sane for email/web display.

The web based free Photoshop Express Editor is actually useful in this mode, includes resizing.  I stick by my earlier statement that the new LR variants in their present form are semi-useless, and I am being charitable using "semi".

Richard Southworth

jrsforums

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:44 pm »

Let's look at <Lightroom CC 2018 / Lightroom Mobile / Lightroom On the Web> in the context of "All their images go online".  As far as I can determine none of these include resizing in their toolkit.  So one is stuck with publishing a large jpeg, rather than something at 1000 pixels or so on the long side.  I crank a large percentage of my images thru ACR or LR without ever considering printing, but I do insist on keeping the size down to something sane for email/web display.

The web based free Photoshop Express Editor is actually useful in this mode, includes resizing.  I stick by my earlier statement that the new LR variants in their present form are semi-useless, and I am being charitable using "semi".

Richard Southworth

Mobile provides a “small” at 2048px
John

rasworth

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:53:30 pm »

Good point - I went back and examined the desktop version more carefully, it allows one to save to the local hard drive a jpeg as a "small", no resolution given, and also a "custom" which accomplishes what I stated was necessary.  I stand corrected, maybe there's hope.

Richard Southworth

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 12:01:50 am »

I'm not sure printer sales are declining...there is just tons more people taking photos ( iphones ) and just posting onto the net.

Yup.
Phil Brown

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 12:12:37 am »

I have noticed the GPU performance in the new Lightroom Classic is slower than in the previous version. Before it was butter smooth, now the image gets pixelated until i let go of a control and then snaps back to full resolution. Perhaps there is some other preference I have to enable, but at the moment this is a step backwards.

Also, i find it interesting that Adobe has stopped adding features that are a natural evolution for software such as Lightroom and instead is pretending like they have ran out of ideas. I do welcome the catalog size being smaller now, the new selection refinement and whatever the 3rd feature is, but after a few years of the software basically being in a standstill I'm starting to see that the people who said the subscription model will make Adobe passive were right. Kind of a shame, but there is not much I can do being locked in with a lightroom image library in the 6 figures.

Another example of a company started by visionaries, build by engineers and ruined by accountants.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:13 am »

+1

Also, i find it interesting that Adobe has stopped adding features that are a natural evolution for software such as Lightroom and instead is pretending like they have ran out of ideas. I do welcome the catalog size being smaller now, the new selection refinement and whatever the 3rd feature is, but after a few years of the software basically being in a standstill I'm starting to see that the people who said the subscription model will make Adobe passive were right. Kind of a shame, but there is not much I can do being locked in with a lightroom image library in the 6 figures.

Dinarius

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 04:09:36 pm »

Richard Southworth

I’m sure you know this, but others may not; you can bulk resize TIFFs (or JPEGs) using Image Processor in Photoshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up