Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2019-2020 prediction  (Read 8947 times)

jrsforums

Re: Lightroom CC 2019-2020 prediction
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:43 am »

Are you taking it to mean an "undefined" period of time rather than the commoner interpretation of it meaning "forever"?

Cheers,

Graham

Indefinitely

adjective
not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited:
an indefinite number.
not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact:
an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.
John

myotis

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:48 am »

Indefinitely

adjective
not definite; without fixed or specified limit; unlimited:
an indefinite number.
not clearly defined or determined; not precise or exact:
an indefinite boundary; an indefinite date in the future.

Or, if you want a  more succinct definition from the OED

"For an unlimited or unspecified period of time."

but most people still interpret as "forever" rather than "unspecified"

Graham

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:11 pm »

Do we really need to resort to the exact same conversation on LR no matter what the original topic of the thread is?
Yes...  Yes, we do.
Well, truth be told, on my end I don't know which conversations are in which thread anymore.  They've all kind of melded.   ;D
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

MarkBarbieri

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 07:08:45 pm »

Lightroom "Classic" won't go away for a long, long time. Or if it does, it will be because CC will merge with it. Too many people take too many pictures to be able to sync them all in the cloud. Perhaps a solution that allows primary local storage and selected syncing will work.

As for the Photoshop/Lightroom prediction, I don't think so. They are fundamentally different programs. LR is a parametric editor and not a pixel editor. It completely lacks the ability to do many of the things you can do in Photoshop and I don't see any movement to change that.

myotis

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 02:58:25 am »

Lightroom "Classic" won't go away for a long, long time. Or if it does, it will be because CC will merge with it. Too many people take too many pictures to be able to sync them all in the cloud. Perhaps a solution that allows primary local storage and selected syncing will work.

As for the Photoshop/Lightroom prediction, I don't think so. They are fundamentally different programs. LR is a parametric editor and not a pixel editor. It completely lacks the ability to do many of the things you can do in Photoshop and I don't see any movement to change that.

I did say that Lightroom classic would only go away after Lightroom CC had all its features and gave a choice of online or local storage.  If you look at what Apple did, with FCP and the iWorks suite, they needed to rebuild these product to make them suitable for a cloud based future (or that's what they said) but they couldn't initially port all of the old features over to the new products, with disastrous consequences for the sales of FCP. Adobe have taken a different approach and running the old product alongside the new, for now.

I am assuming that LRCC will catch up, and it doesn't make much sense to sell two identical programs. And I also suspect Adobe will develop new LRCC features that people will want, which will not be added to Classic because its older design won't allow them to be easily added, encouraging a move to the newer product.

Two aspects about Photoshop. The first is that it seems to be getting used less and less by the majority of photographers as LR has added features. Nothing scientific in this assessment, but over the last couple of years I have picked up on more and more photographers saying they rarely go into photoshop now a days, or they don't use it at all. One of the complaints about the subscription model, from some, has been paying for PS when they only use LR.

The second point is about photographers getting a better deal than other Adobe customers. If I was an amateur film maker I would need to pay the full one app sub for Premiere Pro, so why should photographers get a special deal. I suspect its because amateur and professional photographers make up such a large customer base, but it still comes across as an odd pricing structure, and may be considered unfair by other Adobe customers.

But If you look at the current number of photographer plan users, I wonder how many would be happy enough with an enhanced LR only, and how many would cough up the extra to pay the normal single Adobe App price to get PS (probably bundled with LR), and how many would stop using Adobe all together because of it.

My guess is that most would carry on with an LR only sub, a small number would accept doubling their sub to get PS and LR (still a better deal than other Adobe users get), and a tiny number would leave Adobe products behind (but where would they go, Affinity Photo?). Overall increasing Adobe income, as at least some of us would be paying more than we are now.

I just can't see this special half price deal for photographers lasting, and that the people who still feel the need for PS, will just have to pay the extra to get it. Many of the "must have" and professional PS users are probably already on the all apps subscription, so I suspect, in terms of Adobe customers a tiny number are in the must have LR and PS category, and the majority will probably pay the extra.

That's my reasoning anyway, and as I don't use LR, I am anticipating the day coming when I will need to pay the full £20 a month for PS, rather than the £10 a month I do now, or I may become one of the small minority, who at that stage, might move to Affinity Photo.

Cheers,

Graham

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:57 pm »

The second point is about photographers getting a better deal than other Adobe customers. If I was an amateur film maker I would need to pay the full one app sub for Premiere Pro, so why should photographers get a special deal. I suspect its because amateur and professional photographers make up such a large customer base, but it still comes across as an odd pricing structure, and may be considered unfair by other Adobe customers.

Well, considering you admittedly don't even use Lightroom, your speculation isn't even idea speculation...it's completely misinformed speculation.

You think photographers make up a large percent of Adobe's customer base? You would be wrong. At the height of the Creative Suite, photographers made up less than 10% of Adobe's customer base. Now that Lightroom has stolen even more photographers from the "Suite" products (including Photoshop) photographers are prolly even a lower %.

Photographers don't like to be told that they aren't really all that important, but they really aren't that important anymore...Photographs and photo imagery is widely available for nearly no money–heck even Adobe will sell you stock images right from within their software...

Yet there are more images captured each day than the day before and eventually, cream rises to the top–good photographers can still scrape by with their vision and art...but just barely.

Lightroom "Classic" fill the rich of a desktop based image database system. Lightroom CC works for a multi-devise cloud based system. Will they merge? Don't know...depends on external factors that we don't control–like will there be seriously high speed networks everywhere on earth? If so, I would be happy to move to the cloud. But 36mp Nikon captures and 80mp IQ180 raw captures don't work well on a cloud based system.

Feel free to speculate all you want...but so far, you are pretty far off on your expectations.

myotis

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »

Well, considering you admittedly don't even use Lightroom, your speculation isn't even idea speculation...it's completely misinformed speculation.

You think photographers make up a large percent of Adobe's customer base? You would be wrong. At the height of the Creative Suite, photographers made up less than 10% of Adobe's customer base. Now that Lightroom has stolen even more photographers from the "Suite" products (including Photoshop) photographers are prolly even a lower %.

Photographers don't like to be told that they aren't really all that important, but they really aren't that important anymore...Photographs and photo imagery is widely available for nearly no money–heck even Adobe will sell you stock images right from within their software...

Yet there are more images captured each day than the day before and eventually, cream rises to the top–good photographers can still scrape by with their vision and art...but just barely.

Lightroom "Classic" fill the rich of a desktop based image database system. Lightroom CC works for a multi-devise cloud based system. Will they merge? Don't know...depends on external factors that we don't control–like will there be seriously high speed networks everywhere on earth? If so, I would be happy to move to the cloud. But 36mp Nikon captures and 80mp IQ180 raw captures don't work well on a cloud based system.

Feel free to speculate all you want...but so far, you are pretty far off on your expectations.

My speculation about the large number of photographers amongst Adobe customers was just trying to understand why photographers seemed to get a better deal than other Adobe customers in terms of pricing. A better deal, that I speculated wouldn't continue. If less than 10% of Adobe customers are photographers, for me, this just  reinforces my speculation, as there seems to be even less reason to give photographers such a good deal.

I'm not sure how the availability of high speed networks will affect LRCC merging with LR Classic. If you can't or don't want to use the cloud features, then you just use it with, the inherited from Classic, local storage only feature.

As an aside, I'm also not sure why my speculation is "completely misinformed" and why me not using Lightroom has any bearing on me being able to speculate on this (I have used LR from version 1 all the way through to 6, used LR and C1 together for many years, but only C1 for the last couple of years, having said that I have spent today playing with my newly installed copy of Classic, but  I still can't see why this is relevant).

I of course hope I am wrong as I don't especially want to pay £20 a month for PS.  Maybe you could reassure me by explaining why I am so far off with my expectations. Though I think expectations is a rather strong word, serious possibility is probably a better description.

But, thanks for responding as it was to get some feedback why this might not happen that prompted the post.

Cheers,

Graham

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 11:15:23 pm »

The reason the photographer’s bundle was priced at that price was because that’s what Thomas thought should be...not kidding :-)

myotis

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2017, 02:23:46 am »

The reason the photographer’s bundle was priced at that price was because that’s what Thomas thought should be...not kidding :-)

OK, thanks. That solves that puzzle, my speculations are entirely based on how you would normally expect businesses to price and manage products, and  I had assumed that the special low price for photographers was based on economic  reasons.  This "random" element, assuming its still influencing adobe's future plans, really does mean anything might happen.

Cheers,
Graham

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 04:49:18 am »

just trying to understand why photographers seemed to get a better deal than other Adobe customers in terms of pricing.
They're pretty much the only Adobe customers that aren't serious businesses, so are a more price sensitive market.

I think they were surprised are how easy it was to tie so many people into subscriptions.

myotis

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2017, 05:47:07 am »

They're pretty much the only Adobe customers that aren't serious businesses, so are a more price sensitive market.

I think they were surprised are how easy it was to tie so many people into subscriptions.

Well, that was the main reason why I assumed that photographers had to make up a large proportion of customers, i.e. the income lost by the lower pricing was compensated by the large volume of sales. But it seems this may not be the case.

Cheers,

Graham

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up