Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing the Lightroom tutorials  (Read 8656 times)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Missing the Lightroom tutorials
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:58:45 pm »

If I remember correctly, the last Lightroom update tutorial video featured Kevin and Jeff, and they also showed an online interview with Mike, which was, as always, hilarious and super enjoyable. I imagine that Michael was not really feeling too well by that time. From that point forward, I don't recall any more videos.

This latest update looks to be major. Are you planning on a new tutorial? It would be good to have something really new, from top to bottom. Lightroom has changed quite a bit since version 1.0, so having to watch tons of videos and updates to get the whole picture seems annoying, and sometimes a waste of time, at best, since most of the features of earlier version don't work the way they do now, so you have to watch it to get the basics, then watch the updates to get the new processes, but you can't follow.

So, please bring Jeff and Kevin back!!!
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Missing the Lightroom tutorials
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 11:38:28 pm »

So, please bring Jeff and Kevin back!!!

Kevin and I will be shooting together starting Nov 3rd with Alain Briot during the 15th Annual Fine Art Photography Summit in Zion National Park. That's one of the topics we'll be discussing...

:~)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:18:50 am »

Kevin and I will be shooting together starting Nov 3rd with Alain Briot during the 15th Annual Fine Art Photography Summit in Zion National Park. That's one of the topics we'll be discussing...

Looking forward to the outcomming videos!!!

http://dgpfotografia.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:58 am »

As Jeff said we are shooting together out west in a few weeks.  We'll be looking at the tutorial topic then and will advise after that.  We have lots of ideas to bounce around and what better way than shooting together at some great locations.  I'll be doing some facebook live videos as well as a more extensive one of Jeff and I shooting together.  We will also be with Alain Briot so he'll be part of some of the videos too.

As far as the New LR goes.  I'm playing with the Classic and CC and mobile.   Not as significant of an upgrade as I would have expected.  I am trying to wrap my head around the whole idea of mobile editing on iPads etc..  The idea and concept are interesting, but does it work?
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:46 am »

Not as significant of an upgrade as I would have expected.
What, LR 6.5  ;D
Yeah, calling it 7 is a massive stretch considering what's new.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 02:09:57 pm »

Hi,

Luminousity based masking is a major feature I was longing for many years!

Best regards
Erik

What, LR 6.5  ;D
Yeah, calling it 7 is a massive stretch considering what's new.
Erik Kaffehr

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:47:30 pm »

As Jeff said we are shooting together out west in a few weeks.  We'll be looking at the tutorial topic then and will advise after that.  We have lots of ideas to bounce around and what better way than shooting together at some great locations.  I'll be doing some facebook live videos as well as a more extensive one of Jeff and I shooting together.  We will also be with Alain Briot so he'll be part of some of the videos too.

As far as the New LR goes.  I'm playing with the Classic and CC and mobile.   Not as significant of an upgrade as I would have expected.  I am trying to wrap my head around the whole idea of mobile editing on iPads etc..  The idea and concept are interesting, but does it work?
Excellent news guys. Looking forward to it.

Indeed maybe not as major as we would have expected, but as noted above, the new masking tools are really game changers, and save us more than one trip back and forth to Photoshop.
I think it was Jeff in the last video that he mentioned that the days of a brand new Lightroom version were over, and we should expect more incremental updates like this, but more often, which has happened. Although with all the hassle and the new announcement I was hoping for something more significant.

Have a great time together, and bring them on!!!
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The huge improvements
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 12:28:36 am »

Hi,

I converted to Classic and I see a giant boost in performance, on the order of 3-6X faster in develop. But that may change over time and vary with platform.

What is a huge improvement are the range mask in the local adjustment tools. Those are the features I considered lacking for quite a few years.

What is missing now is a well working content aware fill.

Just to explain, there are essentially three uses of PhotoShop for me:

• Luminousity masking
  • Content aware fill
  • Sharpening using FocusMagic when I make very large prints

Using Photoshop breaks parametric workflow,  it creates a Big Ugly Fat Tiff, while Lightrooms base idea is that the program saves edits that will be applied to original file when needed. Many photographers say that they do 80-90% of their work in Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:31:12 am »

Hello,

are there any news concerning the planned Lightroom videos with Jeff ? Do you plan to do a complete new set of videos oder just an update video for the new features ? What is the planned scheduling ?

Many thanks in advance Robert
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:03:13 pm by Robert-Peter Westphal »
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:05:16 pm »

Hello,

are there any news concerning the planned Lightroom videos with Jeff ? Do you plan to do a complete new set of videos oder just an update video for the new features ? What is the planned scheduling ?

Many thanks in advance Robert

So, I corrected my quote.  ( The link quote which is printed underneath the text you want does not quote the right one )

But, more important, are there still no news on Lr videos ?

Br Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »

An update . .  Jeff and I spent a number of days together in the Southwest photographing.  Lots of fun and a time where we could connect.  We discussed doing LR tutorials and such. 

Back in the day when Jeff did the first tutorials with Michael they were the first and doing something that could not be found elsewhere.  The tutorial was also for sale and as a result, Jeff made money on it as he should.  Under the current membership model, it would be very difficult for us to do the same.  The costs and making sure Jeff got a fair share would not ft the model we have today.  Also, both Jeff and I feel it would be hard to compete seeing how there is so much free content out there.  Seems these days everyone is a LR and PS expert.  Thus we started to think outside the box.  We started discussing doing something really different and unique. 

It's too early to share anything yet as we are still refining our idea and time frames.  It could morph into something unique other than video too. It would also require some cooperation from vendors and we need to also speak with them.

So, we are working towards something.  It will be fun and educational and timely.  Jeff and I will make a joint announcement when we feel we have the plan at a point where we can share it.  Lots of details to work out.

As far as LR goes there is not a lot new to regarding features to cover and most people have figured it already.  The rest of what was done on the LR tutorials is still relevant.

While this is a LR topic I'll go off topic for one min. since I am on the subject.  We are looking at a complete new Capture One tutorial as there have been a lot of changes to it.  This project is moving forward and we'll make a general announcement soon on what we are doing with Capture One.

Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 10:34:11 am »

An update . .  Jeff and I spent a number of days together in the Southwest photographing.  Lots of fun and a time where we could connect.  We discussed doing LR tutorials and such. 

Back in the day when Jeff did the first tutorials with Michael they were the first and doing something that could not be found elsewhere.  The tutorial was also for sale and as a result, Jeff made money on it as he should.  Under the current membership model, it would be very difficult for us to do the same.  The costs and making sure Jeff got a fair share would not ft the model we have today.  Also, both Jeff and I feel it would be hard to compete seeing how there is so much free content out there.  Seems these days everyone is a LR and PS expert.  Thus we started to think outside the box.  We started discussing doing something really different and unique. 

It's too early to share anything yet as we are still refining our idea and time frames.  It could morph into something unique other than video too. It would also require some cooperation from vendors and we need to also speak with them.

So, we are working towards something.  It will be fun and educational and timely.  Jeff and I will make a joint announcement when we feel we have the plan at a point where we can share it.  Lots of details to work out.

As far as LR goes there is not a lot new to regarding features to cover and most people have figured it already.  The rest of what was done on the LR tutorials is still relevant.

While this is a LR topic I'll go off topic for one min. since I am on the subject.  We are looking at a complete new Capture One tutorial as there have been a lot of changes to it.  This project is moving forward and we'll make a general announcement soon on what we are doing with Capture One.

Hi Kevin,

The great benefit with the LR videos was the way Jeff and Michael played together. In comparison, the C1 videos were simply boring. A part of the problem I have is that the fruit that hangs low, I already have picked. Michael and Jeff was entertaining.

My best friend and I was visiting a Swedish National Park. Weather was about as bad it can get. But, we had a ton of the Reichmann and Schewe show and plenty bottles of decent wine. So we survived. We also got some pictures. It is one of my fond memories for life.

One of the great things with the Reichmann & Schewe show was that they didn't want to sell the product, the talk was just about how to make best use of it.

The great thing with Jeff is that he is not a salesperson. He has a lot of good insight and he is eager to share.

One factor behind those videos is the mysterious Mr. Sanderson. We seldom saw him in front of the camera.

I must say, I loved the interviews with Charlie Cramer, he is such a wonderful person it seems.

Kind regards
Erik
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:50:23 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 10:08:50 am »

Hi Kevin,

The great benefit with the LR videos was the way Jeff and Michael played together. In comparison, the C1 videos were simply boring. A part of the problem I have is that the fruit that hangs low, I already have picked. Michael and Jeff was entertaining.

My best friend and I was visiting a Swedish National Park. Weather was about as bad it can get. But, we had a ton of the Reichmann and Schewe show and plenty bottles of decent wine. So we survived. We also got some pictures. It is one of my fond memories for life.

One of the great things with the Reichmann & Schewe show was that they didn't want to sell the product, the talk was just about how to make best use of it.

The great thing with Jeff is that he is not a salesperson. He has a lot of good insight and he is eager to share.

One factor behind those videos is the mysterious Mr. Sanderson. We seldom saw him in front of the camera.

I must say, I loved the interviews with Charlie Cramer, he is such a wonderful person it seems.

Kind regards
Erik

Erik,

I had to check the posting date of your post, twice, to make sure I wasn’t reading something very old, as something new.  You do realize that Kevin and Chris were jettisoned from managment of this site, yes?  While I share your sentiments, those days are gone forever.  We may, however, see videos on the Tao of Lightroom or some such.   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams
Pages: [1]   Go Up