Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7 announced, no more standalone license  (Read 12156 times)

jrsforums

Re: Lightroom 7 announced, no more standalone license
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 03:24:47 pm »

It's actually $0.25 on the $1 and for the people who paid that it's the cost of being an early adopter.

Camera's are also more expensive at introduction then 1 or 2 years down the road. Is lowering prices over time an unfair business practice of Canon (or Nikon/Sony/Pentax/Olympus/.....) vs. the people who paid full price at the introduction?

The cost of LR/PS is trivial vs cameras and lens.

BTW your analogies of cars and cameras don’t work.  Totally different business dynamics.  There are car analogies that would work, but...
John

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 03:31:53 pm »

I like to decide that for myself, thanks.
BTW your analogies of cars and cameras don’t work.  Totally different business dynamics.  There are car analogies that would work, but...
I never talked about the analogy with cars and maybe rather than avoiding my question regarding cameras it would be better to just answer it.
pieter, aka pegelli

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 03:44:33 pm »

Apple abandoned Aperture users.  Adobe has not abandoned LR users.  Just asking them to pay fair share.
I think you are missing the point raised by those of us who were/are using the stand alone LR.  We were willing to pay for major upgrades to the program but did not want to buy into the subscription model (same reason I use stand alone MSFT Office and not Office 365).  We did not need to the first on the block to get new features but were willing to wait.  Right now the subscriptions model is forever (or maybe in the words of Tom Hogarty 'indefinitely').  Now maybe you get new features and maybe you don't.  With the standalone model that did not matter one could be happy sticking with LR with the assurance all the work one did would not get locked up by Adobe elves.  The stand alone LR folks were always paying their fair share just on a different schedule from those paying the subscription fee.

I've been using Affinity Photo for the past three months and it's a nice program (not nearly the memory hog that PS is).  Will they come up with a DAM LR type of program?  I don't know but I'm prepared to wait and see.  LR supports my current camera and I can't see purchasing a new one any time soon so LR6 is fine for me coupled with Affinity Photo when I need to do something else (I have PS CS6 as well).

jrsforums

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

I like to decide that for myself, thanks.I never talked about the analogy with cars and maybe rather than avoiding my question regarding cameras it would be better to just answer it.

Ok....hogloff did car analogy....it still didn’t work 😀

I stated the camera analogy did not work with the software discussion.

A child can figure out that cameras hold higher value when they are new and have more competitive function, than years later when new competing offerings come available.  Also, you have the business and manufacturing dynamics of volume production and then clearing inventory.  In addition, used versions of the same product come available and are in completion to new product.

One of this is fair or unfair or in anyway related to the software discussion or its business dynamics.
John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »

Ya, come to think of it - leasing for example?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »

If you look at the list value-added-features, it's blindingly obvious that photographers are not their prime customer base

Better brush organization
Access Lightroom Photos **
Brush stroke smoothing
Exclusive brushes from Kyle T. Webster
Variable fonts
Quick Share menu
Curvature Pen tool
Path improvements
Copy and paste layers
Enhanced tooltips
360 panorama workflow
Properties panel improvements
Support for Microsoft Dial
Paste as plain text
Support for HEIF **
Select and Mask improvements **

And so much more
Also includes: Performance and stability improvements, ability to save large files faster, better face detection for Face-Aware Liquify, better Content-Aware Crop and Content-Aware Fill on edges, and more.
See full release notes ›

That list is mainly relevant to Photoshop, not Lightroom, and you are correct that Photoshop has a much larger user base than photographers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pegelli

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 03:53:49 pm »

Ok....hogloff did car analogy....it still didn’t work 😀

I stated the camera analogy did not work with the software discussion.

A child can figure out that cameras hold higher value when they are new and have more competitive function, than years later when new competing offerings come available.  Also, you have the business and manufacturing dynamics of volume production and then clearing inventory.  In addition, used versions of the same product come available and are in completion to new product.

One of this is fair or unfair or in anyway related to the software discussion or its business dynamics.
Some of the "new" features introduced are becoming available or better in competing products (for instance in the C1 straightening functions). Therefore they are worth less as time progresses.

And secondly, can you engage in a discussion without insults or disparaging comments, they don't impress me and only tell what kind of person you really are  :P
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2017, 04:06:22 pm »

That list is mainly relevant to Photoshop, not Lightroom, and you are correct that Photoshop has a much larger user base than photographers.

The "Access Lightroom Photos" and "Quick Share menu" are interesting. At least on Mac, you can open photos you've synced to LRMobile (smart previews or originals), work on them, then send the finished file back up to Adobe's LRMobile server. I've written it up here.

jrsforums

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2017, 04:10:15 pm »

Some of the "new" features introduced are becoming available or better in competing products (for instance in the C1 straightening functions). Therefore they are worth less as time progresses.

And secondly, can you engage in a discussion without insults or disparaging comments, they don't impress me and only tell what kind of person you really are  :P

Well than, don’t accuse me of “avoiding my question regarding cameras”

I also do not see the logic of your C1 statement above.  Over time, all competitive products have a yang and yang of functions relative to each other.  The value of each product does not move up and down like the stock market base on instantaneous comparisons.
John

pegelli

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2017, 04:23:35 pm »

Well than, don’t accuse me of “avoiding my question regarding cameras”
I wasn't accusing you, I was merely stating a fact ;)

I also do not see the logic of your C1 statement above.  Over time, all competitive products have a yang and yang of functions relative to each other.  The value of each product does not move up and down like the stock market base on instantaneous comparisons.
If products (or features of products) get older or available from competitive products they become less valuable. For me that's true on software as well as hardware. Therefore early adopters can expect to pay a higher price, both on software as well as hardware.
pieter, aka pegelli

ButchM

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2017, 09:55:33 pm »

Apple abandoned Aperture users.  Adobe has not abandoned LR users.  Just asking them to pay fair share.

I think it is a fair question to ask you your plan, costs, and effort.  Without stating it you are just mad and complaining about Adobe not allowing you to get a cheap upgrade. All the LR CC users have been paying monthly for the function that is now being provided.  What would not be fair is for them to offer it to others for $0.10 on the $1.

Nice of you to gloss over the point I made. Which was we should never stop exploring or learning about potential options. Especially if we are content with current options. Our tool selections of choice should be based upon actual experience of what is available and not simply following the 'cool kids' because of popularity. I never said or implied that Adobe abandoned their customers. I pointed out that maybe we shouldn't wait for such occurrences before exploring alternate options. Nothing lasts forever ... including Adobe.

Next ... you have no clue about anything on my mind. I'm not 'mad' at anyone. Nor am I angry. Nor do you have a clue as to what I have paid in licensing fees to Adobe since 1992. Until recently I owned and operated a full commercial photo studio (I sold controlling interest to my brother as I prepare for retirement) with four seats for Adobe products and a custom color print and graphic design business with 12 seats using Adobe products ... 6 full enchilada subscriptions and 6 seats with individual subscriptions for ID, Ps, Lr, and others spread around those work stations. (Prior to CC those stations all had either perpetual licenses for individual apps and/or full Creative Suite packages.) Plus I currently have 2 CC subscriptions as wells perpetual license for Lr 1-6 and Photoshop from v2 (not CS2) - CS6 for my personal use separate from the business. So go ahead, tell me again about paying my 'fair share' ... you have absolutely no clue.

I've been self-employed for over 44 years and have never, not once, ever missed payroll ... and I did all without your input ... so please spare me your observations on such topics.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 05:14:09 am »

I'am angry about Adobe for at least 3 reasons.

1. Because I was one of the 2000000 persons concerned by the hacking of our private datas a few years ago >:(

2. Because my Win7 production PC is never connected to the web for safety reasons, and none of my other PCs work as well as the PC which is never connected!!! So I need the perpetual license, and I'm not alone.

3. Adobe is also doing crappy spying software named Adobe Flash Player.

So what to do?!

Keep LR6 for a while and after use C1 because I think I can import my precious catalog on C1.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

ned

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 09:22:06 am »

Imatch and CS6 has been keeping me happy since I dumped the subscription model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seren1234

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:00 am »

With regards the licence, I have read that the monthly payments do not represent the actual cost of the product but simpy the repayment plan. What I'm told is that there is a clause in the contract that if you stop payments prior to you having paid the full price of the rental plan you are legally bound to pay in full immediately. The monthly payments as advertised should say the full product plan costs at a monthly rate of £/$. So read the contract carefully before you buy. If this information is correct then I am of the opinion that Adobe are being disingenuous toward their customers in burying the full payment plan details deep in the contract. I'm now many years into my retirement years and grew up with the knowledge that a product had a price which was on the product up front and you paid that price. If you could not afford the price you found a way to borrow the money or made arrangements with the company to pay weekly. Now all has changed whereby you are given the idea that the up front price is all you pay; but this may not be so. So do be carefull what you sign up to.
Bryant.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2017, 10:01:18 am »

LR6 and CS6 are doing just fine for me on my Win 10 machine.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

hogloff

« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:45 am »

With regards the licence, I have read that the monthly payments do not represent the actual cost of the product but simpy the repayment plan. What I'm told is that there is a clause in the contract that if you stop payments prior to you having paid the full price of the rental plan you are legally bound to pay in full immediately. The monthly payments as advertised should say the full product plan costs at a monthly rate of £/$. So read the contract carefully before you buy. If this information is correct then I am of the opinion that Adobe are being disingenuous toward their customers in burying the full payment plan details deep in the contract. I'm now many years into my retirement years and grew up with the knowledge that a product had a price which was on the product up front and you paid that price. If you could not afford the price you found a way to borrow the money or made arrangements with the company to pay weekly. Now all has changed whereby you are given the idea that the up front price is all you pay; but this may not be so. So do be carefull what you sign up to.
Bryant.

Yes...Adobe wants to prevent you from subscribing for a month, stopping the subscription for a couple weeks, subscribing again for a month and so on. So once you subscribe...it's for a year and you can pay for the full year upfront, or pay monthly. If you decide you want to stop your subscription before the year is up, there is a penalty of I believe 6 months of payments.

This is common practice for subscription, rentals, even mortgages.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up