Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7 announced, no more standalone license  (Read 12251 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Lightroom 7 announced, no more standalone license
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:44 am »

Thanks David - don't know why, but I'm signed-up and haven't received this yet. Anyhow, I followed your links and was very pleased to read about the new masking features; assuming it will work well I think this one addition to the toolset is worth the upgrade. I think readers should pay particular attention to what she says about catalog performance - it's fair warning to do a test run before committing one's full operating catalog to version 7. It's not reversible. I was disappointed not to see anything about the minimum standards of the computing environment needed to use this version efficiently. I posted a comment asking about that.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:48 am »

Thanks David - don't know why, but I'm signed-up and haven't received this yet. Anyhow, I followed your links and was very pleased to read about the new masking features; assuming it will work well I think this one addition to the toolset is worth the upgrade. I think readers should pay particular attention to what she says about catalog performance - it's fair warning to do a test run before committing one's full operating catalog to version 7. It's not reversible. I was disappointed not to see anything about the minimum standards of the computing environment needed to use this version efficiently. I posted a comment asking about that.

I'm not at home, so I can not see if the update already appears in the Adobe CC app, but if it is there, does anybody knows if it keeps both versions of Lightroom, 6 and 7? it will be more relaxing in that way to check how it performs the new version with a copy of your main catalogue.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:12:52 am »

I'm not at home, so I can not see if the update already appears in the Adobe CC app, but if it is there, does anybody knows if it keeps both versions of Lightroom, 6 and 7? it will be more relaxing in that way to check how it performs the new version with a copy of your main catalogue.

Yes, it does. Though 7 is officially known as "Classic".

You have to watch out if you use LR Mobile in a big way. If you think you may want to go back to 6 (you won't) switch it off in 6 before upgrading, because 7 "Classic" will assume you want to switch your synced catalogue to the upgraded file. But that's a small detail.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:28:23 am »

Yes, it does. Though 7 is officially known as "Classic".

You have to watch out if you use LR Mobile in a big way. If you think you may want to go back to 6 (you won't) switch it off in 6 before upgrading, because 7 "Classic" will assume you want to switch your synced catalogue to the upgraded file. But that's a small detail.

No, my idea is to go directly to classic, I barely use mobile version of Lightroom. My comment was more in line of the comment of Mark that says one needs to be careful converting the catalogue and having performance problems after it using LR7.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:28 am »

Then you are fine. Just keep your 6 catalogue backup, as I am sure you would do.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 11:02:05 am »

While my inclination is to stick with the classic CC rather than CC (aside, I don’t think this is a very good naming scheme) largely due to my Library size and workflow, there seems to be a lot of deal-breakers in this list:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features

In particular, things that stand out (for my use) include:

Greatly reduced export options including only sRGB JPEG with limited output sharpening  :o (or original)
No tone curve in Develop
Merge to panorama and HDR are missing?
No soft proofing and no Print  >:(
Limited zoom and comparison modes
Can’t use a second screen mode
Can’t paste settings across multiple photo’s (bulk)
No Smart Collections!
No virtual copies
No History?!

plus an assortment of other issues, big and small. I’m sure the CC version will evolve over time, but unless you need some of (1TB max or pay more - up to $100/month for 10TB) your files stored in the web, I don’t see much of an advantage vs “Classic”

On a lighter note, I’m curious to try the new Colour Range/Luminance Masks features, rather than going out to Photoshop.  :)

Mike
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:17:12 am by schertz »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:16:15 pm »

What about larger file support ? PSB support ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »

Are we limited to the number of Lightroom CC windows downloads?  I'd like to add this to 3-4 PCs but want to be sure I'm not exceeding the license terms.  Thanks.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 02:42:14 pm »

Are we limited to the number of Lightroom CC windows downloads?  I'd like to add this to 3-4 PCs but want to be sure I'm not exceeding the license terms.  Thanks.

What do you mean by Lightroom CC? Do you mean the new PC/Mac app that Adobe have called "Lightroom CC" or the Lightroom that's been around for 10 years that they are now calling "Lightroom Classic", which is two installations?

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:38 pm »

The new Lightroom CC version.  I'm assuming that the classic version is limited to two copies.   I've downloaded the Adobe Installer but have not yet installed Lightroom CC.    It's not appearing on this list but I'm assuming that's because I first need to update the classic version.   I won't have a chance to do that for several more hours, when I return to my home base PC.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 03:21:18 pm »

Several hours, or try logging in and out of the CC App.

I am not sure about LR CC. I would bet there's the same 2 computer limit.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:37 pm »

I'm seeing significant performance improvements in both library and develop.  No apparent performance improvement to image rendering in the import module.  Hope that's on the top of the list to fix.

I really like the range masking tool. 
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

adias

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:15:18 pm »

Tried it on OS X Sierra. Works fine, speedier, no issues. Did not try Book and Map modules as I have no interest in those.

John McDermott

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 11:44:15 pm »

The 2 computer limit applies to RUNNING the program; you can have it installed on more machines, as I do, nd fly your licenses around as needed.
John E. McDermott

pearlstreet

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 11:17:29 am »

I'm so confused by this. Do I need two lightrooms on my computer now? Do the two lightrooms work together??

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 11:21:56 am »

I'm so confused by this. Do I need two lightrooms on my computer now? Do the two lightrooms work together??

You don't need both Lightroom "Classic" and the new Lightroom CC. Only to play.

jrsforums

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 11:48:43 am »

This might help:
Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC - Which Workflow is Best for You
https://youtu.be/eMSNcM7C0UE
John

pearlstreet

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 12:28:56 pm »

This might help:
Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC - Which Workflow is Best for You
https://youtu.be/eMSNcM7C0UE

Thanks! That did help.

john beardsworth