Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Pentax  (Read 10906 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Pentax
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 01:37:24 am »

22bit ADC is, in my view, totally over the top as far as bit conversion is concerned.  We are talking about three orders of magnitude beyond the 12-bits I get today.  The least significant bits are going to be swamped by noise from any sensor/amplifier with maybe the exception of some of the super-chilled astro cameras.
Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew,

Yep, but isn't there value in highlight handling?

I don't think that they are after extra DR, in my view they are trying to address those transitions between blown areas and their neighboors.

I could be wrong though.

Regards,
Bernard

Jay Kaplan

New Pentax
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12:29 pm »

Customer Service/Tech Support, don't you just love it.    

I went to the PentaxUSA website to see what they had to say about the new K10D, and also to find out about using my current Pentax lenses - the screw mount M42 lenses with the new camera. It was implied in the DPreview  that with a factory adaptor, I should be able to use them with the new camera.

I currently have 7 Super Takumar SMC screw mount lenses for my SpotMatic, and while they are not autofocus, they were considered quite good back when I first bought my camera in 1968. Being able to use them would allow me to get a rather nice digital camera for ~$900 (US) and have prime lenses from 28mm to 300mm.

My current inventory consists of - 24mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/4 [macro], 100mm f/4 [macro] my favorite, 150mm f/4, 200mm f/4 and 300 mm f/4.

So here is my email to Pentax and their reply -

My Email:
> As a Pentax Spotmatic owner, I am considering the K10D when it becomes
> available. I read that it will accept the M42 screw mount
> lenses. I have a number of Takumar SMC M42 screw mount lenses ranging
> from28mm to 300 mm. Will I be able to use these with the K10D with an
> adaptor?I understand that I would be operating in manual mode, but I would
> stilllike to use these lenses if at all possible.
> Since these lenses are totally manual, how would I go about using them
> onthe K10D?

To: <jayskaplan@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:52 AM
Subject: E-mail webform

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> Thank you for contacting Pentax.
>
> I'm sorry but I do not have any information on the compatibility of
> non-Pentax lenses with the K10D. All existing Pentax lenses will work with
> the same level of functionality you have on your current camera, but I
> cannot comment on Takumar.
>
> If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or
> call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.
>
> Sincerely,
> Jimmy
> Pentax Imaging Technical Support
>
>

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.   Perhaps what I will do is wait until the camera is available in stores and visit a local dealer here in Baltimore - Service Photo Supply and seek help from them. Obviously, the distributor has know idea how to respond to a simple query. Either that or they have no sense of history. Strange when you think about it since a section of their site is dedicated to Pentax's photographic history with the SpotMatic having a prominent role.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
New Pentax
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 11:37:51 pm »

Jake21209,

Sounds to me as if "Jimmy" (probably aged about eleven) never heard of Takumar, Spotmatic, Asahi, or Honeywell, and probably has no idea what a "screw-mount" lens is.

I feel your pain! Since mention of the K10D came out, I have been feeling regrets at having sold off my Pentax stable (35mm and 6x7) a couple of years ago. I went through quite a number of Pentax bodies over the years, and I eventually converted to all bayonet lenses, which were *sharp* and reliable. For hiking, I really miss my 45mm/2.8 "pancake" lens.

I hope the real K10D indeed is able to accommodate all of your lenses.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jay Kaplan

New Pentax
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2006, 06:05:46 pm »

If they will work, it will allow me to take the first step in to digital photography at a relatively "modest price".

tsjanik

New Pentax
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2006, 10:50:21 pm »

If they will work, it will allow me to take the first step in to digital photography at a relatively "modest price".
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jake:

I have no experience with M42 on K mount, but everything I've read indicates full usage in stopped down mode. see the following for a discussion of various adaptors:

[a href=\"http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00I5oY&tag=]http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-..._id=00I5oY&tag=[/url]

Jay Kaplan

New Pentax
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 12:43:14 pm »

Jake:

I have no experience with M42 on K mount, but everything I've read indicates full usage in stopped down mode. see the following for a discussion of various adaptors:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-..._id=00I5oY&tag=
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77209\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, it appears that a Pentax adaptor is available. As to stopped down mode, on a Spotmatic, in order to get a meter reading, you were  working in stopped down mode. To focus, you worked wide open. And of course, all setting and focus were done manually.  

jcarlin

New Pentax
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2006, 09:58:42 pm »

It's like putting a speed limiter set at 55mph into a high performance sports car.  Yes, we gave you a six-speed transmission, but we have locked out the top two gears - sorry.  But ain't it great that you get a six-speed gear box?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76502\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, to be accurate it's like putting digital speedometer in that high performance sports car that can only make 10mph steps.  

There could be any number of technical reasons for only providing 12bits, one of them could be that they can't move that much data, it'll take ~2x the amount of time to write images out to CF or SD for example.  The comment about noise of the analog system is well made, more bits only reduces the quantization error of the system, if the quantization error is smaller than the system error more bits doen't help.

danag42

New Pentax
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2006, 07:07:22 pm »

Or they could add 16 bit RAW support with a firmware update.  The fact that the camera records directly to DNG is a big plus.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up