Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time for fall color in Kyoto and Nara  (Read 1516 times)

praja343

Best time for fall color in Kyoto and Nara
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:31:33 pm »

I realize that it may vary somewhat year to year but which part of November will the fall colors be near their peak in Kyoto and Nara?

FabienP

Re: Best time for fall color in Kyoto and Nara
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »

Based on my trip there in 2012 and the information present on this website, I would say mid to end of November.

It is probably safer to get there around mid-November since you can head for the higher grounds (near Kyoto, that would be Takaosan and Hieizan) and get some autumn colours early in the season if things get unusually late.

Back then I witnessed autumn colours at their peak in Kyoto at Tofukuji and Daigoji, which I can really recommend. Tofukuji is always packed with people (no tripods) but Daigoji was perfect for a peaceful stroll that day.

Anyway, attendance at fall colour spots tends to be less crowded and less hysterical than at cherry blossom spots! The fact that the seson lasts for a longer time and is more predictable in the former case probably helps.

Cheers,

Fabien

praja343

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:07:57 am »

Thank you Fabien for the information and the link. I hope to be there from the 10th onwards. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks again.

blaininjapan

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:55:23 am »

This year autumn leaves viewing season in Kyoto and most parts of Japan is roughly a week early,  we are getting some cool weather. Kyoto and Nara are now peaking.  For the next few days, it will be overcast and rainy; this is the perfect time to be photographing in Kyoto and Nara, especially in the AM around 6 am 35 minutes before sunrise.    Namaste, Blain in Japan
Pages: [1]   Go Up