Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Girl killed while posing at the Seven Sisters clifftop  (Read 15007 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Girl killed while posing at the Seven Sisters clifftop
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:42:47 pm »

The delegated photographer must have concentrated also too much on picture taking, instead of warning her how close she was to the cliff edge. Most likely, this won't be the last occurence of such a tragedy.

I wanted to point out that the photographer bears also some responsibility in these tragic situations to guide or warn the photographed person. Unfortunately, in most situations the shooter is seeing only the jumping person, not realizing how close she is from the cliff edge (especially when watching the scene on the small and poorly lit LCD screen).

In all likelihood, the girl started further from the cliff edge, but through subsequent jumping she might have come closer and closer to the edge. Sometimes even a bad landing may result in an unintended and fatal slide or roll off the cliff.

The picture below was taken at 100m-deep Barron Canyon in north eastern Ontario. This solitary tourist was careful in taking pictures down in the canyon (not visible in this shot), but still only a step away from the edge, standing on uneven surface and slightly off balance holding the camera in outstretched hand. So if he slipped or some raven (even a bumble bee or wasp) decided to bomb dive him, it could end up disastrously.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 04:43:40 pm »

I was at Horseshoe Bend a couple of weeks ago and the craziness that goes on there is nerve racking.....this woman was also standing in that spot she is sitting while friends photographed her....people around me were shaking their heads and cringing.

Alskoj

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »

When I was stationed in Iceland I used to visit the nearby cliffs.  I'm not afraid of heights but it was absolutely terrifying to be anywhere near the edge.  Not sure how she could jump up and down like that.  I had to crawl on my belly just to look over the edge.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 04:36:49 pm »

Last year I fell  from a small mountain road ( a road, not a path...) because I was rewieving the photographs on the LCD of my camera and did not look where I was walking. The ligaments of the ankle and of the knee  were severely sprained. If I were fallen a few meters later  I would have probably  been dead. I am glad that in those moments the natural selection was distracted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:41:57 pm by muntanela »

David S

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 06:08:30 pm »

This afternoon as I was driving to the airport, I saw a driver just barely able to stop and miss hitting a young person crossing the street (a four lane street at that) against the light and looking at their phone instead of the light, road and where they were walking.

Dave S

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:44 am »

Over the past two years, after decades of declining deaths on the road, U.S. traffic fatalities surged by 14.4 percent. In 2016 alone, more than 100 people died every day in or near vehicles in America, the first time the country has passed that grim toll in a decade. Regulators, meanwhile, still have no good idea why crash-related deaths are spiking: People are driving longer distances but not tremendously so; total miles were up just 2.2 percent last year. Collectively, we seemed to be speeding and drinking a little more, but not much more than usual. Together, experts say these upticks don’t explain the surge in road deaths.

There are however three big clues, and they don’t rest along the highway. One, as you may have guessed, is the substantial increase in smartphone use by U.S. drivers as they drive. From 2014 to 2016, the share of Americans who owned an iPhone, Android phone, or something comparable rose from 75 percent to 81 percent.
Perhaps more telling are the findings of Zendrive Inc., a San Francisco startup that analyzes smartphone data to help insurers of commercial fleets assess safety risks. In a study of 3 million people, it found drivers using their mobile phone during 88 percent of trips. The true number is probably even higher because Zendrive didn’t capture instances when phones were mounted in a fixed position—so-called hands free technology, which is also considered dangerous.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-17/smartphones-are-killing-americans-but-nobody-s-counting

Otto Phocus

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:26 am »

Society can only do so much to protect people.

Society can not remove all risks.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 09:55:11 am »

I was at Horseshoe Bend a couple of weeks ago and the craziness that goes on there is nerve racking.....this woman was also standing in that spot she is sitting while friends photographed her....people around me were shaking their heads and cringing.

A few years ago I was at Horseshoe Bend with 2 photographer friends.  One of my friends stood one foot from the edge of the cliff to take photos.  The other friend and I were horrified, urged her to move back.  She said she was stable and not afraid of heights.  We countered she could have a seizure or faint unexpectedly and that would be the death of her.  In the end we grabbed her coat and wouldn't let go until she moved back from the edge.  This person is otherwise intelligent, grounded, reasonable and rational.  Fortunately, she did not win a Darwin award.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 12:54:46 pm »

Not only young Asian girls jump to their death for a photo, but also seasoned Asian men.

Chinese conglomerate HNA Group [HNAIRC.UL] Co-Chairman Wang Jian died during a business trip in France on July 3 in what local police said appeared to be an accidental fall from a wall while posing for a photograph.

Wang fell 15 meters off a wall in the village of Bonnieux, near Avignon, a picturesque area popular with tourists, lieutenant-colonel Hubert Meriaux of the Vaucluse gendarmerie force told Reuters. “He stood on the edge of a sharp drop to get his family to take a picture of him and fell,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hna-chairman/chinas-hna-group-chairman-wang-dies-after-fall-in-france-idUSKBN1JU0SQ

Two23

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 10:32:13 pm »

It is sad that this lady died, but she was 100% in control of the situation. Choices have consequences.

Yes, but this was not an adult.  Over the past few years I've intervened in several places when I saw young Chinese tourists doing very stupid things.  Talking to them I got the feeling that these are people who have lived in cities all their lives and have no experience with the outdoors.  They seem to have little awareness of the danger they are in.  One young guy was going to take a selfie with a buffalo in one of our state parks.  I stopped him and discussed it.  In Canada a couple of years ago I intervened when a Chinese guy was having his young daughter walk out on the edge of a waterfall that had wet & slippery rocks.  In Yellowstone I stopped two young Chinese women from walking out to a geysor where they wanted to look into the hole.  At the Columbia Ice Field I talked to a young Chinese guy who was preparing to take his very young children out on a glacier--all were wearing shorts and flip-flops.  I do think that as experienced adults we have a moral duty to advise others when they are in imminent danger, especially if there are children involved.

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:16:09 am by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

dreed

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 04:22:24 am »

At some point people need to take responsibility for their own lives. It is hard to believe she didn't know what the danger was. The real problem is those that have gone before and that will come after. Did she come up with this idea herself or copy someone else? There's very little that can be done. Tragic yes.

This girl jumping up and down obviously didn't think about how accurate she needed to be with her jumping. Personally, I never go closer to the edge of a cliff than I am tall so that if I fall, none of me is hanging over the edge. That's my own rule that I made up after thinking about the situation.

To add to the other stories of Asians from cities doing stupid things, they'll follow their GPS off a made road and into mud, only to find themselves bogged.

Every year people die in Yosemite because they ignore signs and go where they shouldn't or do what they shouldn't. There's only so much that can be done.

It isn't just a matter of "city living", it is a matter of critical thinking. In too many Asian societies, people learn to copy rather than to think.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 05:27:46 am »

Yep. We lose a few tourists every year. Some animals will bite you, some will claw you and some simply step on you. Lions are not actually very cuddly and elephants can be a bit grouchy. All are very fast.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 07:23:42 am »

At some point people need to take responsibility for their own lives. It is hard to believe she didn't know what the danger was. The real problem is those that have gone before and that will come after. Did she come up with this idea herself or copy someone else? There's very little that can be done. Tragic yes.

This girl jumping up and down obviously didn't think about how accurate she needed to be with her jumping.

It isn't just a matter of "city living", it is a matter of critical thinking. In too many Asian societies, people learn to copy rather than to think.

It's not difficult to imagine that the young girl was elated, and eager to get another photo of herself, without thinking about the danger.
But the second case of the CEO of a larger company, an older experienced man who fell down from a wall (post #28), is really hard to understand. Case of impaired balance or impaired thinking.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 10:52:10 am »

I think it is a high time to ban dangerous cliffs.

chez

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 12:10:12 pm »

I think it is a high time to ban dangerous cliffs.

Along with dangerous rivers, ski hills...even certain roads that take dozens of lives every year.

dreed

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 12:37:40 pm »

Along with dangerous rivers, ski hills...even certain roads that take dozens of lives every year.

Yes. With roads, since they're a creation of man, you might argue that there is a responsibility to fix them if they are deadly (blind corners, etc.)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 12:46:22 pm »

My own experience with dangerous cliffs, Badlands National Park, 2006.

I stood in front of that sign for a good few minutes, trying to figure out what it meant. It was very early in the morning, no coffee yet, so forgive me if it would be obvious to anyone else under the circumstances. Did it mean "keep right" by passing on the right side of the sign and staying close to the wall on the right, where there actually was what seemed to be a beaten path (in yellow)? Or it meant to go higher up to the right (not visible in the picture) and walk around the the "wall"? After a few minutes, I decided not to take the yellow path and climbed higher up and around. Though, truth to be told, the yellow path didn't seem that risky either. The dangerous cliffs were a few feet to the left in the image, the steep drop not visible. It was a mild telephoto (around 112mm full-frame eq.), slightly compressing the perspective.

jeremyrh

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 06:40:42 am »

Last year I fell  from a small mountain road ( a road, not a path...) because I was rewieving the photographs on the LCD of my camera and did not look where I was walking. The ligaments of the ankle and of the knee  were severely sprained. If I were fallen a few meters later  I would have probably  been dead. I am glad that in those moments the natural selection was distracted.

Well, if it's any consolation it would have given some of the posters here (including some who demand "sensitivity" in other contexts) cause for a good laugh.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2018, 10:35:53 am »

Think of all the risks people take messing with the cellphones while driving.  I know I do and should know better.  It's estimated that 3500 people die on American roads due to distractions.  We all think it's not going to happen to us.  It's easy to get distracted using a cellphone especially taking selfies.  I can't imagine what the parents are going through losing their 23 old daughter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up