Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa Policy on including image links  (Read 1231 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
LuLa Policy on including image links
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:40:47 am »

What is the general and specifically LuLa policy on posting reference image links, specifically of stock photos?
For example, I may want to quote an excerpt from the article in some magazine and include a picture from that article.

I will not copy the actual picture and store it on my computer, but I would find out the address of that image and insert it as an image (IMG) with that address.
But what if the image carries a stock image notice, such as Getty Images, or similar? Presumably Getty granted some kind of license to the publisher of that magazine. It could be Rights Managed or Royalty-Free license. If some poster includes that image link in his post, the stock image would appear (as a reference) in a new publication without knowledge of Getty or the image creator. Is this allowed or would it constitute an unauthorized image use?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:12:32 am by LesPalenik »

Farmer

Re: LuLa Policy on including image links
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:15:37 am »

I don't know what the local policy is, but my policy has always been to provide a link to the original source rather than include a local copy - that is, a link for someone to click to the magazine or website or whatever and not to the image directly if it's not mine or unless it's clear that it's intended for public use.

As photographers, we should, in my view, aim for the maximum possible respect of intellectual property rights.  That's why I get very annoyed when people post things like proprietary service manuals or illicit copies of publications and so on (and I'm generally surprised when requests for the links to be removed are not actioned).
Phil Brown

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: LuLa Policy on including image links
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:59:41 am »

My understanding is similar. A URL link that simply shows as a text link is OK, an actual embedded image is absolutely not OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up