Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conflicting developments - Humans vs Cameras  (Read 2175 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Conflicting developments - Humans vs Cameras
« on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:14 am »

Total cameras manufactured by year dropped from 121 million in 2010 to only 23 million in 2016. And they are getting smaller.
https://www.diyphotography.net/camera-sales-report-2016-lowest-sales-ever-dslrs-mirrorless/

Compare that with 130-136 million million babies born each year (according to UNICEF). And growing - both in numbers and in size.
Spiegel reports 124 million extremely overweight children worldwide which is 10 times more than 40 years ago.
http://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/schwangerschaft/uebergewicht-124-millionen-kinder-sind-extrem-dick-weltweite-studie-a-1172198.html
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32129-3/fulltext?elsca1=tlpr

Shouldn't that be the other way around?

As a side note:
My local camera club in Richmond Hill, Ontario works with the York Region Boys and Girls Clubs in establishing “Camera Club“ as an activity at the Boys and Girls Clubs. Once a keen interest was established, a committee was struck at RHCC and fund raising at the Year End Banquet was designated towards raising money for the project. Together with some funds from the 2015 fund raising efforts, approximately $4000 was raised to start the project. Interesting finding was that the simplest cameras were those used the most!
Hopefully a good activity to move the kids from the couch into the woods.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:15:18 am by LesPalenik »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Conflicting developments - Humans vs Cameras
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:29 am »

I think that "cameras" should start including smartphones. That is the only camera that millions of people have and use.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 09:50:50 am »

I think that "cameras" should start including smartphones. That is the only camera that millions of people have and use.

I know I'm bucking the trend, but I prefer separate tools for separate functions. And I like good-sized, dedicated (or at least configurable) buttons and knobs on both my camera and a phone. As for cameras, my Micro-4/3 equipment is small enough, thanks. And if smartphones get any BIGGER they'll need a handgrip. I'm seriously thinking of going back to a small flip phone with buttons. All I'd want is sync for my contacts.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:57 am »

I'm seriously thinking of going back to a small flip phone with buttons. All I'd want is sync for my contacts.

OMG, +100, Yes, Motorola StarTac FTW...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:24:26 am »

Having a built in camera in a phone is convenient.  But when I shoot a trip, even a P&S is easier to use ergonomically, easier to see in the sun, true zoom, etc.  I also have a lot of trouble holding a phone, lining  up the shot and firing the shutter.  It's very awkward.  But you can get creative and they do a decent job under the right conditions.  These are from a 4 year-old Samsung S4 Galaxy.

Sandy Hook, New Jersey
by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Beach in Sandy Hook, New Jersey
by Alan Klein, on Flickr

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:12:50 pm »

OMG, +100, Yes, Motorola StarTac FTW...
I never gave up my Nokia flip. It works just fine. You open it to receive a call and close it to finish. You don't spend your life walking around staring at it. You don't have the illusion of being connected to a sort of faux reality.
I have a smart phone for international travel. The first time I really looked at it (on the way to the airport) I  realised deeply it was a device for making people stupid.
Interestingly, the Nokia has a 3mp camera with a plastic lens. At my camera club I did a side by side comparison of it with the same scene shot with a high end camera. No-one could tell the difference between the two devices when projected, until I told them that the Nokia images had blown highlights.
David

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:09 am »

This is hilarious. I am about to stop using an iPhone 5 that I bought 2nd hand in favour of a new cheap flip. I spent more time updating the iPhone's OS and charging its battery than I did using it. I am engaged in 2 separate email conversations on the subject. Several people I know are about to do the same.

Btw, I have never used the camera on my iPhone. Even if I think of it, the battery will likely be nearly dead because I forgot to charge it. I used to charge my old flip phone 3-4 times per year, never thought about it. Obviously I am not a heavy phone user, but it kind of annoys me that cheap dumb options are disappearing.

So when I change over to my new flip, I'll have a useful cell phone and what amounts to an iPod.
--
Robert

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:41 am »

Yep. There is no doubt or question that smartphones are are not only the most popular cameras, they are now the pocket camera(and more) of choice for many experienced photographers.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:25:43 am »

Yep. There is no doubt or question that smartphones are are not only the most popular cameras, they are now the pocket camera(and more) of choice for many experienced photographers.

Now if we could just convince all those "tech-savvy" phone owners out there to hold the things horizontally when taking pictures or videos and could get rid all those vertical black bars.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:29 pm »

Now if we could just convince all those "tech-savvy" phone owners out there to hold the things horizontally when taking pictures or videos and could get rid all those vertical black bars.

Amazing, innit?  I just shake my head when I see it happening. 
My reasoning is this: It's easier to hold that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up