Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Big difference between (good) proofing paper and final print paper!

(1/11) > >>

narikin:
Just want to share how surprised I was by the difference between my prints on my proofing paper (Epson Proofing Semi-Matte) and the final exhibition print paper -Legacy Platine or Canson Platine.  Both were accurate, this is not about color shifts, or anything like that, but there is a remarkable difference in color depth between the two, it is really quite shocking to see them side by side.

Both profiles are very good, same printer/inks of course, and Epson Proofing SM has a reputation of having the widest gamut of any Epson RC paper, but... to repeat: it is really surprising how much better the color, blacks and dynamic life of the image is on the Platine. I thought the Epson RC print was good, until i switched to final paper!

Is it simply the amount of ink laid that can be down causing this, or... ? 

Mark D Segal:
Not seeing the difference or knowing what printer you are using it's hard to say, but looking at the SC-P5000 profiles with ColorThink Pro, the first things that come to mind would be differences of gamut volume and maximum White/Black (Platine has more of all). That said, these profile-derived differences are not very large. It's designed for proofing offset printing processes which would have a narrower gamut than inkjet prints on Platine type papers, so however the paper is reflecting this purpose, it may help explain the difference you're seeing.

Farmer:
Ummm, proofing paper is for proofing before going to press.  It's not even remotely comparable to fine art or photo quality media in regards to the performance for photo printing.

Alan Goldhammer:
There is also a perceptual bias when one compares the same image printed on two different papers.  this is most commonly seen when one compares a matte print with a glossy print (the glossy print is often preferred).  Does this mean that one print is better than the other?  No, it just means that they are different.

narikin:
Well, they are both low-gloss type finishes, not that big a difference, from that aspect. Printed on a P20000, Ultrachrome Pro, with PK inkset.

As I said before the Epson Proofing is said to have the largest gamut of any paper in Epsons RC lineup, so its not to be knocked. And I believe low or no OBAs. Ernst Dinkla of SpectraViz fame certainly recommends it a lot.

I know I should not be surprised, but I was taken aback just how much better the same image printed on Platine were, than on the Proofing. Again - is it simply the ink limits are far higher in Platine, giving deeper colors? Or some other quality of the paper base?

Alas what that means is we have to spend the $ on the good stuff, (100ft of 60" Proofing or PLU is ~$250; 100ft of 60" Platine (2x50ft) is $750+ !!) But the cheaper RC paper just doesn't deliver the goods. At least I know the money is buying a clear improvements in the final prints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version