Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yashica Camera on Kickstarter....  (Read 3976 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

viewfinder

Re: New Yashica Camera on Kickstarter....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:13:54 am »

I scanned thru this but found it a bit tiresome......full of words but short on actual info, ie., put together by a PR team to hook fish rather than offer a new product.  I find it difficulat not to be negative about this.....the future for even good cameras does not look bright and this is completely retro in concept.   I was not able to decipher what 'Digifilm' actually is!   Presumably it's some kind of digital module that apes a particular type of film.  I notice that the sensor is small so, one has to ask, what will this do (apart from supposedly looking 'kewl' in the hands of the poser) that  a good phone won't do?

.........The trouble with these Kickstarter schemes is that, should it take off, the camera industry will seize upon the model as a 'way forward' and things will get really silly....

Does "Yashica" still actually exist outside an admans dream?

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:17:14 am »

DPReview has some info about this creation.
I wonder who on earth would be interested in using something so blatantly impractical?

If I want some retro fun on a party, I take my 1997 Epson PhotoPC 600 digital camera. People love those 1024x768 colour pictures, that are wrong in every aspect. (Well, they're sharp at least.)
If I wanted something else, I'd consider a Minox. Their recent digital cameras would be probably a similar quality to this Yashica, but at least it's a brand you can find in old spy books. :)
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 04:21:38 am »

A lot cheaper than a smartphone, and looks fun.

scooby70

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:54:48 am »

I like the idea of having a small simple retro camera but I'd much prefer it to have the usual controls on camera rather than in a film emulation module, or whatever it is.

I have a very simple little Medion compact camera, it only has two controls, an on/off button and a shutter button and it takes me back to the days of my first camera which was a Kodak Instamatic.

I would actually be interested in a very simple camera with ISO, shutter and aperture or maybe just a sunny and cloudy setting as per my old Kodak. A VF would be nice too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:44:22 am by scooby70 »

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:43:33 am »

I can see some appeal, I mean no image review, hard to change ISO etc. but I think that is what it is trying to do is to emulate the film experience but with digital. It is kind of like shooting film, until you open it up and change the module, you are stuck at ISO etc, don't get to see what you got until you get home, no processing probably jpg only but not really stated. You can't review your image but they do emphasize that you can use an SD card with wifi, so you could download it to the phone. But if you use it a challenge and for fun there is some appeal. You are placing limitations on yourself and the challenge is to be creative and creat images, does the tool really matter? At least they did not make it expensive. It is more a nostalgic device for those that are missing their old film days..... sit around the Starbucks lamenting.... "when we were young.......the youth today just don't know how tough it was...." arrghhh  ;D

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:59:26 pm »

This looks pretty silly.

"So, to use this new digital camera, you’ll need to carry Yashica’s new “digiFilm” along with you. Each pretend film roll is used for a precise combination of ISO and aspect ratios. Instead of changing those settings through a camera setting or menu, Yashica’s new camera is making you make a physical swap instead."

I've seen people using those new smaller format Instamatic cameras at parties and I can appreciate the fun in that but I don't see this camera going anywhere. 
-MattB

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 02:36:18 am »

I personally don't get it...

Cheers,
Bernard

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:37:26 am »

Cheers,
Bernard
+1
I can't make heads or tails of this.  Film or digital?  Digital film?  Film advance lever?  Strange.
It may be Friday the 13th today but Yashica make's it sound more like April 1st.

scooby70

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:08:31 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

+1
I can't make heads or tails of this.  Film or digital?  Digital film?  Film advance lever?  Strange.
It may be Friday the 13th today but Yashica make's it sound more like April 1st.

Oh come on... you're just a couple of old fuddy duddies aren't you?

Just in case you're serious... read it again and you should understand what it is and if not please don't go out without nurse today :D

mbaginy

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:00 am »

Oh come on... you're just a couple of old fuddy duddies aren't you?
Probably right.

I don't see any sense in inserting a symbolic film cartridge to change ISO.  Sounds absolutely silly to me.  But then, I'm probably that old fuddy duddy.  My Fujifilm cameras give me all the analog feeling I need (and which I enjoy).

Yashica: "... No, you won’t get analog photos from the camera. Instead, Yashica believes the joy and meaning of film photography is found largely in the fact that you need to insert and remove film rolls on a regular basis.

So, to use this new digital camera, you’ll need to carry Yashica’s new “digiFilm” along with you. Each pretend film roll is used for a precise combination of ISO and aspect ratios. Instead of changing those settings through a camera setting or menu, Yashica’s new camera is making you make a physical swap instead. ..."

hogloff

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:00 am »

If I want to feel like i’m Shooting film, I use my Fuji 6x9 and shoot film.

This camera is for the hipsters that grew up in the digital world and want to feel like they are going back to the good old film days without actually getting their heads out of the digital everything world.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 10:39:11 am »

If I want to feel like i’m Shooting film, I use my Fuji 6x9 and shoot film.

Exactly, I have kept my F3, F6, H1 and 4x5 cameras to that end... and am perfectly fine with them gathering dust. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

the_luminous_french

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »

nonsense pays...

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 12:18:56 pm »

I think I can approximate the same experience and results with my Epson RD-1 (the first digital rangefinder camera).
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up