Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Views  (Read 1607 times)

BobDavid

New Views
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:21:05 am »

It's going to take a year or more to figure out what to photograph here in Colorado. I like Russ's black and white CO pictures from the 1960s. They're memorable.

francois

Re: New Views
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:22:12 am »

I like the virtual-horizon a lot!
Francois

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:13:54 am »

Find some of those Americana gasstations or conveniencestores in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure CO must have a ton of those, and you could make that into a series.

I'm currently thinking about the dutch equivalent of that. Hollandia? I don't mean windmills or other tourist stuff, I mean the out-of-context object that would be considered typical for the locale. But everything is packed here, "desolate" doesn't exist. I do occasionally see the odd carwash that, while in a sensical location, still looks out of context. Not sure yet how this is going to materialise.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:13:14 am »

I'm currently thinking about the dutch equivalent of that. Hollandia? I don't mean windmills or other tourist stuff, I mean the out-of-context object that would be considered typical for the locale.

Many years ago my wife and I did a cycling tour through some of the more rural parts of the Netherlands. At one point I remember looking up an embankment from the path to see ships travelling along above us. I think we were about 3 meters below the water level. Might have made an interesting pic. Alas, no camera.

The Loonse en Drunense Duinen was also an interesting area to cycle through, though I doubt many non-Dutch would think the landscape typical for the Netherlands.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:43 am »

You will find what you need, Bob. Your eye is too good.
In the meantime, these "horizon" shots are good stuff too.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 09:40:43 am »

You're working at it, Bob. I was lucky enough to get to Colorado at the end of one age and the beginning of another. I spent two years shooting what was left of the individual farm family age, the Route 66 travel age, and the early gold-mining age, and by the time I got back to it in early 2000 those ages and their artifacts were gone.

There's still a lot of wabi sabi out in the boonies, but it's mostly been done. With your eye I suspect you'll find another theme that's at least as productive.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »

Find some of those Americana gasstations or conveniencestores in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure CO must have a ton of those, and you could make that into a series.

I'm currently thinking about the dutch equivalent of that. Hollandia? I don't mean windmills or other tourist stuff, I mean the out-of-context object that would be considered typical for the locale. But everything is packed here, "desolate" doesn't exist. I do occasionally see the odd carwash that, while in a sensical location, still looks out of context. Not sure yet how this is going to materialise.

Good luck with your new series. It takes a while to figure out what there is to figure out.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »

You're working at it, Bob. I was lucky enough to get to Colorado at the end of one age and the beginning of another. I spent two years shooting what was left of the individual farm family age, the Route 66 travel age, and the early gold-mining age, and by the time I got back to it in early 2000 those ages and their artifacts were gone.

There's still a lot of wabi sabi out in the boonies, but it's mostly been done. With your eye I suspect you'll find another theme that's at least as productive.

Thank's Russ. True, the low hanging fruit has been covered by excellent photographers. Seeing Colorado through fresh eyes is like being a kid in a candy store.

In Florida, it took several years to hone my subjects. Are you finding Florida to be a challenge?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:50:45 pm by BobDavid »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:54:10 pm »

Good luck with your new series. It takes a while to figure out what there is to figure out.

Of course, a good stew needs a long brew!

I do have a title for your series already: Americana 2.0
You know, the modern stuff that will be wabi sabi soon enough.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

RSL

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 02:37:37 pm »

Thank's Russ. True, the low hanging fruit has been covered by excellent photographers. Seeing Colorado through fresh eyes is like being a kid in a candy store.

In Florida, it took several years to hone my subjects. Are you finding Florida to be a challenge?

It's definitely a challenge. It's too damned hot to go out during the day. I was going out at the crack of dawn during high summer, but now the sun's up late and the light simply isn't as good. Happily it won't be long before it begins to cool and I'll be able to do some shooting in late afternoon.

But my main beef is that I'm in a retirement community, and that just doesn't lend itself to street photography. Once it cools a bit we'll head over to St. Aug for a few days and I'll be able to walk St. George street after dark. I'll also spend some time in Mount Dora and even "downtown" Leesburg.

It's a challenge.

BobDavid

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »

It's definitely a challenge. It's too damned hot to go out during the day. I was going out at the crack of dawn during high summer, but now the sun's up late and the light simply isn't as good. Happily it won't be long before it begins to cool and I'll be able to do some shooting in late afternoon.

But my main beef is that I'm in a retirement community, and that just doesn't lend itself to street photography. Once it cools a bit we'll head over to St. Aug for a few days and I'll be able to walk St. George street after dark. I'll also spend some time in Mount Dora and even "downtown" Leesburg.

It's a challenge.

My wife and daughter took a trip to Mount Dora. I hear it's a "neat" place.  Florida is a challenge. I ended up taking pictures at night largely due to the heat.

Alskoj

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:03 pm »

I wish you the best shooting here in Colorado!

LDR-1-3 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:42 pm »

I wish you the best shooting here in Colorado!

LDR-1-3 by Joseph Alsko, on Flickr

Thank you. CO is a beautiful state.

RSL

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 09:19:41 am »

My wife and daughter took a trip to Mount Dora. I hear it's a "neat" place.  Florida is a challenge. I ended up taking pictures at night largely due to the heat.

If I still dared drive at night I'd be doing exactly what you were doing, Bob, but I'm not dumb enough to try it. My vision, which used to let me drive all night when I was going from Colorado Springs to Great Falls, Montana, now doesn't want me to drive at night at all. But that's life in the fast lane.

Mount Dora used to be a lot more interesting than it is now, though I still enjoy going over there. The town used to have three good art galleries. Nowadays it's substituted tourist junk for art. But that's Gresham's Law applied to retail. The street's still fun, especially when all the snowbirds are in town.
Pages: [1]   Go Up