Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Asheville, NC"  (Read 2063 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
"Asheville, NC"
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:47:40 pm »

I am submitting this image to a juried show on November 15. Looking for C&C of everything about it. The theme of the show: Black & White Photography Now. I don't have a lot of experience processing B&W images, so C&C about what I have done with it is especially appreciated. -t
One Day At A Time

pearlstreet

Re: "Asheville, NC"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 12:52:44 pm »

Really liked your court image, but this one isn't as strong. It looks out of focus and not in a way that helps anything. The composition lacks a point of interest.

But that's just my opinion, not any real truth.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:39 pm »

Hi Todd, I'm with Sharon on this. At first i thought the light in the upper left was supposed to be the POI but then my eye gets drawn elsewhere by the sweeping curves.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 06:28:01 pm »

Thank you, Kevin and Sharon. Very helpful to get an "unattached" opinion. It is so hard for me to be objective.  ...and I agree with you now.
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:34 am »

Todd, I'm not going to criticize technical details. I agree with Sharon that it looks a little soft. But "sharpness," a concept that seems to drive a majority of amateur photographers batty, isn't really that important. For evidence, check HCB's early stuff.

My question is this: What did your mind see when you made this shot? To me it's pretty blah, but I'm not inside your head. I've made plenty of shots like this one. When I looked at them later I'd always realize that  what I was doing was trying to ape something that had been advertised as fine art, but that, at least in my own head, simply didn't come off that way. It was a learning process.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

donbga

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:13:48 am »

I am submitting this image to a juried show on November 15. Looking for C&C of everything about it. The theme of the show: Black & White Photography Now. I don't have a lot of experience processing B&W images, so C&C about what I have done with it is especially appreciated. -t
To me this shot serves as a organized formal study of shape, volume, and to a lesser degree texture and tonality. A good fun exercise to photograph and perhaps to print as well.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:35 pm »

Todd, I'm not going to criticize technical details. I agree with Sharon that it looks a little soft. But "sharpness," a concept that seems to drive a majority of amateur photographers batty, isn't really that important. For evidence, check HCB's early stuff.

My question is this: What did your mind see when you made this shot? To me it's pretty blah, but I'm not inside your head. I've made plenty of shots like this one. When I looked at them later I'd always realize that  what I was doing was trying to ape something that had been advertised as fine art, but that, at least in my own head, simply didn't come off that way. It was a learning process.
Thank you, Russ, for taking time to reply. I loved the light and shapes.  I wanted to capture that. I think perhaps now that I have gotten feedback from unbiased eyes that I was still seeing it in color- (I don't have the finished color version with me, but I am posting a snapshot approximation below).  I converted it to B&W to consider it for the show entry. I may re-post a finished color version later to see if it moves anyone then; or not. Either way, I agree and see it as others do now which was the goal. It does not measure up.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment. -t
One Day At A Time

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 12:14:12 am »

I'm a big B&W fan, but somehow the color version comes to life better than the B&W one did.
I look forward to whatever you might do in further processing, but I don't think it needs much.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 09:32:46 am »

Camera shake(?) doesn't work for this image...in the vertical it shows and does not help. I think if it was in focus I would have given the lamp a little more room on left though. /B
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:01:05 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up