Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Details  (Read 887 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Details
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:06:17 am »

Andres's temple details from Ravello reminded me of these temple details from 1954 Korea. After the war was over we took a jeep and drove up a mountain on a difficult (even for a jeep) road to a local temple. I have a bunch of pictures from that trip. Here are three details from the interior. I'd be willing to bet they're still there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

Re: Details
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:30:41 pm »

It's interesting to see color photos taken in the mid 1950s. I'm inclined to think the light inside the temple was not neutral. And on top of that, the film appears to have taken on a character of its own; I've not seen this effect in old Kodachrome slides.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:35:50 pm by BobDavid »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:56 pm »

I love the details and unique color, I have heard that Seongsan Sunrise Peak is a photogs paradise and also Haeinsa Temple, Hapcheon.

RSL

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:05:19 am »

It's interesting to see color photos taken in the mid 1950s. I'm inclined to think the light inside the temple was not neutral. And on top of that, the film appears to have taken on a character of its own; I've not seen this effect in old Kodachrome slides.

I think you're right, Bob. The color had migrated a bit in the old Kodachromes when I scanned them several years ago. I also suspect you're right about the quality of the light inside the temple. I just don't remember. I do recall that it was pretty dim in there. I think I was shooting off a tripod for these pictures. I know I wasn't using flash. Flash in those days required carrying around too much crap.

degrub

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:59:37 am »

i have seen this with some of my Kodachromes from the early '60s as well, particularly when shooting in very low light and having to pull the curve up at the low end to open up the darker tones when they were processed. It would go greenesh yellow.  All of the gold leaf in there probably didn't help with the daylight balance assumption either.

RSL

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:10:56 am »

I love the details and unique color, I have heard that Seongsan Sunrise Peak is a photogs paradise and also Haeinsa Temple, Hapcheon.

Thanks, Andres. I shot a bunch of pictures in the temple, color and B&W. Unfortunately it looks as if I only scanned the color stuff, and not a whole bunch of that. Transparencies and film are in my oldest son's attic back in Colorado, so I can't check more of my results. But here's another from an anteroom in the temple. I like this one best of the whole shoot. I was doing street in those days even though I hadn't a clue that that's what it was.
Pages: [1]   Go Up