Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***  (Read 30376 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 08:10:32 am »

How about the Climate Change subject?
That one is still open as of right now.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 08:44:24 am »

On balance it's probably a good thing those threads are gone and will not be allowed in the future. A lot of the discussion was instructive, and a lot wasn't. I don't think there was anything wrong with them, a priori, but I suppose they don't really belong on this board. As others have said, it's not as if there is a shortage of places to discuss these things.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:12 am »

This would be also a good time to ban all long exposure pictures of moving water - it's all fake and too much of it, time to get back to the real photography.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:30 am »

Pieter's asking a fair question. "Climate change" discussions have little to do with climate change, but a lot to do with politics.
True. While the "photo art threads" are certainly about photography, which the "Climate change" thread isn't.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:00 am »

This would be also a good time to ban all long exposure pictures of moving water - it's all fake and too much of it, time to get back to the real photography.

Half of me wants to call this extremist, the other half wants to agree.  :)
--
Robert

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 09:16:03 am »

So split the difference, Robert, and just sort of agree with exceptions.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:53 am »

How about the Climate Change subject?
Yes, I left the door ajar. I quote the new Coffee Corner header:

Inflammatory topics will be deleted at Moderator's discretion.

I hesitated on that thread since it is generally civil. However the apparent opinion is that it too should go. Let's see what 24 hours brings.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:47 am »

Chris, maybe the answer is to start a new segment titled "Politics and Fistfights." Unlike "The Coffee Corner" that would make clear the purpose of the segment. Then everybody could have at it, including Schewe, and those wanting to avoid nastiness could just stay away from it. It would be the reverse of a "safe space."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:37 am »

I can understand that the Trump/ Vegas threads had nothing to do with Photography and let to clashing opinions;

However, I found it very interesting to see how people can judge the same occurrences completely different.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rand47

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 09:41:55 am »

Rand Scott Adams

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 10:12:25 am »

I applaud the decision, wholeheartedly. It was interesting while it lasted, if only to underscore how dramatically some individual's world view differs from mine.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 10:27:56 am »

Amusing that many of those who complained vociferously about the threads were prolific contributors.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:38:28 am by KLaban »

James Clark

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 10:43:27 am »

Amusing that many of those who complained vociferously about the threads were prolific contributors.

Isn't it?  :)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:55 am »

I'll take care of the climate change topic later today.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 11:38:09 am »

... A lot of the discussion was instructive, and a lot wasn't...

Which it the cost and benefit of free speech. You can't just get the good part all the time. As Marilyn (that would be Monroe, for the Millennials) would say: “if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

... it's not as if there is a shortage of places to discuss these things.

Like where?

Where else I can discuss such things not with total, mostly anonymous strangers, but with real people who I got to know over the years reasonably well, from their photography, to their musings and writings about photography, from their professional history to their family history, forming a pretty good idea of who they are, and forming a respect for what they did in their life and with their life? Those are the people I am willing to listen to, engage with, exchange opinions, even if we disagree (especially if we disagree). And stay friends even if we politely disagree. Those who can not disagree politely, should be banned and the offending post removed. Not the thread.

If it was not clear from the above, I am strongly against removing whole threads and banning certain subjects.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 11:46:47 am »

I applaud the owners of this site.  I think this will be a good decision.  Moderating a forum is a tough job.  I think it has been demonstrated that some posters can't be relied to self-moderate.

It is not like there is a shortage of political forums on the Internets Tubes where one can find all the confirmation they seek.

Thank you for taking this difficult decision.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

James Clark

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:23 am »

Which it the cost and benefit of free speech. You can't just get the good part all the time. As Marilyn (that would be Monroe, for the Millennials) would say: “if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”

Like where?

Where else I can discuss such things not with total, mostly anonymous strangers, but with real people who I got to know over the years reasonably well, from their photography, to their musings and writings about photography, from their professional history to their family history, forming a pretty good idea of who they are, and forming a respect for what they did in their life and with their life? Those are the people I am willing to listen to, engage with, exchange opinions, even if we disagree (especially if we disagree). And stay friends even if we politely disagree. Those who can not disagree politely, should be banned and the offending post removed. Not the thread.

If it was not clear from the above, I am strongly against removing whole threads and banning certain subjects.

This is a fair point, I think.  Nicely stated.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 11:51:36 am »

Which it the cost and benefit of free speech. You can't just get the good part all the time. ... Those who can not disagree politely, should be banned and the offending post removed. Not the thread.

Noted - and if I had the time, I might choose to selectively edit raucous exchanges. However I do not and unfortunately not all posters share your disciplined restraint.

elliot_n

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 11:58:15 am »

Where else I can discuss such things not with total, mostly anonymous strangers, but with real people who I got to know over the years reasonably well, from their photography, to their musings and writings about photography, from their professional history to their family history, forming a pretty good idea of who they are, and forming a respect for what they did in their life and with their life?

A Private Facebook Group could be a good home for you and your LULA buddies.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »

Noted - and if I had the time, I might choose to selectively edit raucous exchanges. However I do not and unfortunately not all posters share your disciplined restraint.

It is not easy indeed. One suggestion could be to limit the number of posts per topic? It does not make sense to have topics that have been dragging along for months and months. Besides, one can continue to discuss to their hearts content via private messages?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up