Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***  (Read 30468 times)

Ray

Re: *** CHANGES in the Coffee Corner ***
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:59 am »

I would have thought that a forum centred around landscape photography would have found the greening of our planet from enhanced CO2 in the atmosphere, to be of some relevance, and a topic worth discussing, especially in the 'coffee corner'.

I personally get great pleasure from viewing and photographing scenes of lush vegetation, forests, waterfalls, and so on. That's one of the reasons I post on this forum. It's one of the reason why I'm concerned about the dynamic range of camera specifications, for example. I sometimes like to see realistic detail in the undergrowth, in some of my landscape photos.

Enhanced CO2 in the atmosphere definitely helps green our planet, and any warming effect from enhanced CO2 causes increased rainfall which also contributes to greater plant growth. Hallelujah!  ;D

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2017, 07:56:52 am »

Enhanced CO2 in the atmosphere definitely helps green our planet, and any warming effect from enhanced CO2 causes increased rainfall which also contributes to greater plant growth. Hallelujah!  ;D
Warning, warning, warning ----------------unsupported political discussion now beginning----------------warning, warning, warning ---------------where is the moderator?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2017, 08:29:36 am »

Warning because of warming? Warming effect and increased rainfall can lead to foggy conditions in low laying areas.
One way to combat it is to use B+W Light Red filter which cuts through the haze and it also helps to separate various shades of green in foliage.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2017, 09:19:27 am »

Good for you, Les. That brought the discussion back into the realm of photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2017, 09:32:05 am »

Warning because of warming? Warming effect and increased rainfall can lead to foggy conditions in low laying areas.
One way to combat it is to use B+W Light Red filter which cuts through the haze and it also helps to separate various shades of green in foliage.

Can a polarising filter help as well?

Ray

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:03 am »

Sometimes a bit of mist is quite nice.  ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »

Yes, Ray.  ;) And your picture is also very nice.

Rob C

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2017, 04:34:19 pm »

Funny: I remember one English teacher chiding somebody for using the word "nice" because it meant almost absolutely nothing at all - it hardly even managed to signify lukewarm, yet it is a very popular word in photographic circles. Modern dictionaries have attempted to alter that word's worth so as to justify its continued usage... Perhaps it's all about political correctness.

;-)

Rob

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:30 pm »

I had a teacher say the same thing about nice but I find it a very flexible word. It can be used as moderate praise, imply it's all well and good but and other nuance. In fact 'my word that's nice' is quite genuine effusive praise (from me at least).

Teachers had some funny ideas :)

Rob C

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 01:35:33 am »

I had a teacher say the same thing about nice but I find it a very flexible word. It can be used as moderate praise, imply it's all well and good but and other nuance. In fact 'my word that's nice' is quite genuine effusive praise (from me at least).

Teachers had some funny ideas :)

It's a long-term danger/result of the job: it couldn't turn out otherwise, considering the people they have to be near most of the day!

;-)

Rob

P.S. Today, the main worry is whether or not the pension towards which they pay will actually materialise... On top of that, they face constant "Grand Strategy" plans from the younger people with zero teaching experience, but much networking, quango and theoretical/ideological bullshit behind them. These "kids" come up with new plans that the older teachers to whom these abortions are presented sigh, and if they feel bolshy enough, point out the fact that the same crap, under a different banner, had been touted and had failed twenty years earlier. Why? because nothing planned by technocrats in offices can defeat parental indifference to education. It is a self-perpetuating thing that has broken as many teacher hearts as it has destroyed bright kids lacking the home support that education demands.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:48:34 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2017, 09:18:51 am »

Some of my teachers had some nice ideas.   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2017, 09:43:45 am »

I have nice memories from Nice.

degrub

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2017, 11:09:23 am »

My niece visited Nice once as part of a school trip. She thought it was nice.

Rob C

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:01 pm »

Q.E.D.

;-)

Rob

Otto Phocus

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2017, 06:11:35 am »

I would be happy if someone called one of my photographs nice.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2017, 09:13:33 am »

I would be happy if someone called one of my photographs nice.

Not a problem - we are all here to help:

one of your photographs is nice!

(Just kidding - I'm sure that many of them are.)

:-)

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2017, 12:18:34 pm »

;D ;D ;D
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2017, 07:46:16 pm »

Hey Ray, your picture is easy on the eyes. Well done.

Ray

« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »

Hey Ray, your picture is easy on the eyes. Well done.

Thanks. Just in case anyone is wondering what that white building is on the left of the photo, it's the World Peace Pagoda.
Here's a closer shot of it, plus a 100% crop, taken from the same position with a telephoto lens on a clearer day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanti_Stupa,_Pokhara

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2017, 04:29:21 am »

This is meant to be The Coffee Corner - can we please keep discussions away from photography......

Actually on a serious note, I did think some of the topics had got out hand.  Particularly the Trump tirade.  Politics and religion, to name two, are very interesting topics to discuss, but online forums so easily deteriorate.  The views of photographers who I admire greatly when on the subject of photography, I find completely at odds with mine on more controversial subjects.  Nothing wrong with that, but my real friends I meet with and we have invested time and love in our relationships.  You on LL are my 'cyber friends', not that I don't value you, but the main thing we have in common is photography - and that's the way I think it is best kept. 

I have learnt much from reading your views on politics, gun laws etc - but they are too emotive a subject it seems to discuss online for long.  If Parliament and the Senate cannot agree on the best way forward on subjects like Brexit and Gun-Control, what hope for us to agree or come to a consensus.  There are no absolutes in most of these discussions, but some individuals seem to think there are.

The climate change discussion was great - when it stuck to the science.

I do not believe in a god, others do.  I don't believe that citizens should have the right to carry guns, others do.  Never say never, but these are two subjects I am unlikely to change my beliefs on.  I would happily debate the topics, but many of us have deep-seated views on these and many more.  I have respect for those who hold opposite views to mine - lots of my best friends are religious (including my wife) - even my neighbour has a licensed rifle (not for shooting people obviously).

I've always thought of the LL forum, which is the only forum I have regularly posted in, as like a meeting place in either a pub or my kitchen.  It's a place to exchange views, seek and offer advice etc.  I think the discourse should follow the same sort of etiquette.  Friendly, sometimes probing, but always with good humour.  It's okay to disagree - but say that and move on without banging on over and over the same point.

Not everyone will agree with my view and I'm sure there are flaws in my logic.  But It's just my own personal guideline for using a forum - even though I sometimes have been guilty of transgressing.....

Jim

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:13:57 am by Jim Pascoe »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up