Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspen colors in the PNW  (Read 1174 times)

madlantern

Aspen colors in the PNW
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:32:36 am »

I'm looking to shoot fall foliage, particularly aspens as they turn color. What's a good place in the Pacific Northwest to shoot that? I know Colorado has lots, but I'm hoping for some place closer to Seattle or Portland.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: Aspen colors in the PNW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:08:09 pm »

I was in Mazama, WA (east side of North Cascades) yesterday and noticed the aspen were turning. Nothing spectacular so I took no photos. They should be turning in the Wallowas in OR as well. I have never found an aspen show in the PNW to come close to the aspen displays that CO has to offer.

However, CO has never seen the likes of the color show put on by vine maple, huckleberry, mountain ash, and larch found in the PNW. Huckleberry, mountain ash, and vine maple are all peaking NOW.  The larch are just beginning to turn and should peak in another week or two.

Here are some samples, all taken last week. Vine maple is hot right now anywhere on the east side of the Oregon Cascades. Photo below was taken in the lava field off Hwy 22, just north of Hwy 20, between Detroit Lake and Sisters. The huckleberry and mountain ash were taken on Cascade Pass in North Cascades.  The larch was taken on Maple Pass in North Cascades. There are larch in the Bonny Butte area south of Mt. Hood that should be peaking in the next couple weeks. I haven't been there yet to check on progress.

If you are adventurous and have 4x4, the most reliably incredible display of red huckleberry I have ever seen occurs on High Pass in the North Cascades, with Mt. Shuksan in the background. Drive to Twin Lakes and camp, then day hike (or backpack if you want golden light) to High Pass. Snow may have closed the road to Twin Lakes by now, but you could backpack in if you parked at Yellow Aster Butte trailhead.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:38:50 pm by pcgpcg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up